Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAFETY: ON or OFF?

SAFETY: ON or OFF?

I know. I keep mine on. Talking to someone who is under the assumption that If it is on that you waste time if you need to draw and fire. I tell him that misfires have happened that way. He doesn't think it's a big deal'

IMPUT

It all depends on the type of gun you have, your carry method, if you're partnered up, where you are.

On a 1911, safety on or locked and loaded. On a Kel-tec the safety is your brain.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

I always keep my guns on safe. You can flick the safety as you draw and it doesn't take any extra time. I know there are those out there that believe your finger is your safety.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    It all depends on the type of gun you have, your carry method, if you're partnered up, where you are.

On a 1911, safety on or locked and loaded. On a Kel-tec the safety is your brain.
    He said it is a Ruger Sr9c.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    If it has a safety, use it. If it doesn't have a safety, there is no option nor need.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

You don't need a safety on a striker fired pistol anymore than a DA revolver. The length of trigger pull is the safety, e.g., Glocks, XD/Ms. Any SA pistol with hammer should be carried cocked and locked. DAs can be carried hammer down, round in chamber. A decock is nice to have on them. I carry my 1911s and HPs cocked and locked, and by the time the gun is gripped by my second hand, the safety is off--finger off trigger until ready to shoot. It takes no extra time as it's part of the draw.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

depends on what i am carrying on said day. My M&P has no safety, but my Ruger SR9 does, and the safety is VERY easy to get to, as I'm drawing from my holster.

Safety ON if there is one on the gun.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-07-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: edited to change font color
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Founder's Club Member
    Negligent discharges injuring others or self, are of course a possibility. But, it increases from there.

I imagine the Ruger handbook for that gun expressly recommends using the safety. Can you imagine the dollar signs in a plaintiff attorney's eyes if he finds a witness who is willing to repeat what the OPer told us here? "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, I have here the Ruger owner's manual..."

Imagine what a prosecutor might tell the grand jury. "Ladies and gentleman, I am seeking a manslaughter indictment because this was more than a tragic accident. It has come to our attention that the accused deliberately never used the thumb safety on his pistol. The manufacturer of the death weapon expressly recommends using the thumb safety. This is negligence. Negligence that resulted in a death..."

William Fisher,

You might point out that real pro's know the value of the safety. And, even they recognize they're only human and make mistakes. Whatever his own personal reason for thinking the safety gets in his way, he needs to practice flicking off the safety as the first step to pulling the trigger. With a little practice, it becomes part of the firing motions, just like only putting your finger inside the trigger guard when in the very act of actually firing the gun.

He does leave his finger along the frame of the gun until he is ready to fire, right?
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-06-2011 at 04:23 PM.

My carry gun is a Ruger P89DC. No safety on it. Just a decocker.
    Last edited by sraacke; 11-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.

I have an XDm and the act of holding the gun and pulling the trigger removes both safeties but for my wife's tcp the only safety is the long and somewhat heavy trigger pull. Personally I don't like to have to think about removing the safety as I feel that is one more place for you to potentially mess up at in a high stress situation.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 11-06-2011 at 04:25 PM.

My XD is the type with the manual and grip/trigger safeties, I leave the manual one off. My LCP has no safety besides the extra long trigger pull.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

With SA/1911 , I prefer Condition 1.
    With my DA/SA 845, I go hammer down, loaded chamber, safety on most of the time. I train with it to drop the safety on the draw. It doesnt slow me down,or cause me to fumble or anything. And I have had to draw it in a situation ,or two, under the duress, and it did not hamper my draw/speed in any way.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    only gun i own that i use the safety on is my 1911. every other weapon is a DAO *no safety* or an SA/DA with at least a 8LB trigger pull, which is a safety in itself.

my beretta 92FS is a SA/DA and my holster takes the safety off when i snap the thumbsnap but with an almost 9LB SA trigger pull im not worried about the safety.

99% of my firearms also have a firing pin block that blocks the firing pin from striking the striker unless i pull the trigger all the way back....heck even my 1911 has one.......so unless im carrying the 1911 i usually dont bother :-p. same idea as a safety on a revolver......NOT REQUIRED :-p

edit- not to mention. my Brettas safety flips UP.which is a pain in the butt :-p
    Last edited by carry for myself; 11-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    I know he said that, but being a forum sometimes we give a more comprehensive answer so that um, the other people reading can apply it to their case.

To summarize:

1. If it has a safety, use it. - add to that PRACTICE at the range and with snap-caps when employing a safety. Make sure your action is smooth if not that fast;
    2. If it has a striker fire hammer, then the long trigger pull is the safety (etc.);
    3. If it is a 1911, it's designed to carry C&L;
    4. Did I mention practice?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Mines always locked and loaded, but the safety is always on. I can turn it off when drawing my firearm.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them.

Of the four pistols that I have two of them have a safety that will engage when the guns are not cocked the other two are decocking levers only. All four of them are combo DA/SA.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Safety OFF on every handgun I own when it's being carried (and usually even when it's just sitting around at home or in my vehicle holster mounts.)

H&K P2000 = Has no manual safety. I do keep the hammer decocked though. Round in chamber.
    USP = Has a manual safety, and that's a small part of why I'm looking to get rid of it. Hammer also decocked. Round in chamber.
    XDm = No manual safety, as it should be. Striker fully cocked. Round in chamber. Trigger and grip safeties are more than sufficient.

The only weapon that I leave the safety engaged on when carrying is my AR.

Simply put, a properly holstered and functioning handgun of any modern vintage is NOT going to magically fire by itself. It took me a while to get used to that idea though. For the longest time I would carry the XDm with an empty chamber as a result.

If all of my guns were of the same design and warranted leaving the safety on, like a 1911, I would probably think otherwise. Since my carry gun can be any of the above three (and on occasion some others) and they're all different as far as safety mechanisms, action, etc. I would rather ALWAYS keep the safety off than to have to think remember under stress which gun I'm carrying and if I need to disengage a safety lever. It's bad enough that I alternate between non-retention IWB leather holsters, Blackhawk Serpas, and Safariland SLS paddle rigs. I don't need/want to add more variables than I've already got.
    Last edited by Thoreau; 11-07-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    edit- not to mention. my Brettas safety flips UP.which is a pain in the butt :-p
    And that right there is why I will NEVER own one. Nice guns, but the backwards safety is something I won't even entertain. They even carried it over to the (now) Stoeger Cougar that my friend has. Drives me insane =)

Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau
    ...a properly holstered and functioning handgun of any modern vintage is NOT going to magically fire by itself.
    My preferred toys / personal protective devices are all Glocks.
    The safety is keeping your finger off the trigger, 'cause once you press the trigger you've deactivated the only external safety, which deactivates the 2 internal safeties & it's going to go bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I don't have to worry about keeping it on or off with my glock, it stays on until I pull the trigger. I have always been taught that a safety is a mechanical device and can fail and never to rely on it.

I will only use the safety once I get my 1911 other than that I never use them not even when I carry my sig once in a while...

But this goes back to safety basics where as you do not put your finger in the trigger until you are going to fire and I would use this method even while(god forbid) pointing my firearm at someone
    “I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted” - Frederick Douglass, 1817-1895

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    And that right there is why I will NEVER own one. Nice guns, but the backwards safety is something I won't even entertain. They even carried it over to the (now) Stoeger Cougar that my friend has. Drives me insane =)
    and exactly why i don't use the safety. the gun has enough safeties built in for me to feel confidant in just carrying decocked, +1 haha . the push DOWN safety is great for the de-cocker on the beretta however :-D i wouldn't wanna push UP to decock my weapon lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

My Glocks always have the safety on....until I pull the trigger, then it release the safeties. There is always one in the tube, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast