• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAFETY: ON or OFF?

MKEgal

Thoreau said:
...a properly holstered and functioning handgun of any modern vintage is NOT going to magically fire by itself.

My preferred toys / personal protective devices are all Glocks.
The safety is keeping your finger off the trigger, 'cause once you press the trigger you've deactivated the only external safety, which deactivates the 2 internal safeties & it's going to go bang.

jag06

I don't have to worry about keeping it on or off with my glock, it stays on until I pull the trigger. I have always been taught that a safety is a mechanical device and can fail and never to rely on it.

glockluva

I will only use the safety once I get my 1911 other than that I never use them not even when I carry my sig once in a while...

But this goes back to safety basics where as you do not put your finger in the trigger until you are going to fire and I would use this method even while(god forbid) pointing my firearm at someone

carry for myself

And that right there is why I will NEVER own one. Nice guns, but the backwards safety is something I won't even entertain. They even carried it over to the (now) Stoeger Cougar that my friend has. Drives me insane =)

and exactly why i don't use the safety. the gun has enough safeties built in for me to feel confidant in just carrying decocked, +1 haha . the push DOWN safety is great for the de-cocker on the beretta however :-D i wouldn't wanna push UP to decock my weapon lol

Redbaron007

My Glocks always have the safety on....until I pull the trigger, then it release the safeties. There is always one in the tube, too.

Kirbinator

in the not so recent past, I chopped off about 2mm of my thumb, about 35-degrees off center axis. The resulting overwrap and cushioning left me unable to hook and actuate the safety and clear the slide. I borrowed a decocker gun for my OCing. I feel safe enough with it that the lack of safety doesn't bother me. I know that, if it leaves the holster, it will go off. I just make sure it's in my hand if it leaves the holster.

Oramac

My brain is always ON.

Oh, you meant the safety on a gun? :D

Far as I'm concerned, I will never carry a gun with a manual safety. In a high-stress situation, the first thing you lose is fine motor control (i.e. the control that lets you flip a safety on or off). I refuse to put myself in that situation, so I carry a Glock. No external safety.

Now, I would use the safety on a 1911 or other such firearm, but I wouldn't be carrying it.