• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

QSALTLAKE.COM: "Concealed weapon permit training to be held at Pride Center"

SSSU

Nov. 5, 2011

(http://www.qsaltlake.com/2011/11/05/concealed-weapons-permits-to-be-held-at-pride-center/)

Concealed firearm permit training classes will be offered by Utah CCW Training owner Scott Mogilefsky. The first class will be held Dec. 3 at the Utah Pride Center, 361 N. 300 West, Salt Lake City, for students who want to apply for a permit or want to learn about laws that govern the possession of firearms.

Enrollment in the four-hour class costs $40 a person and includes all course materials.

Mogilefsky said that he was motivated to conduct the classes for the center after the recent violent attacks against gay men in Salt Lake City and American Fork.

"I strongly believe these classes could reduce the number of hate crimes," Mogilefsky said in a press release. "If the criminal elements believe their prey is carrying, they will look elsewhere. We all know it's a proven fact in other areas, so I think it will be here as well."

Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah founder David Nelson and Women Against Gun Control founder Janalee Tobias recommended to QSaltLake in September that gay Utahns buy and learn to use firearms safely and responsibly for their self defense.

_

David Nelson
Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah
Salt Lake City

utbagpiper

Banned
My best wishes

Nobody should live in fear of criminal violence. And a gun in hand beats a so-called "hate crime" law on the books every day for actually preventing a crime of violence.

Plus, it would be great to increase the number of persons who are likely to have political views and connections outside the GOP/Conservative ranks stereotypically held by gun owners. It would be fantastic for Utah's Democrat elected officials to feel as much (or even more) need to support RKBA for their constituents as have GOP officials.

I know a couple of different pro-RKBA organizations in Utah looked at this several years ago. But we were discouraged from doing anything by the then established spokesmen for the homosexual community. They offered up some reasons but I wonder as to the veracity of their claims as opposed to perhaps just some personal anti-firearm views they may have held. In any event, with Dave Nelson in that community and Janalee having an amazing knack to be welcome in almost any community, I do wish this effort all best success.

I would love to hear a report of how many persons avail themselves of the training and get a permit.

Charles

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Nobody should live in fear of criminal violence. And a gun in hand beats a so-called "hate crime" law on the books every day for actually preventing a crime of violence.

Plus, it would be great to increase the number of persons who are likely to have political views and connections outside the GOP/Conservative ranks stereotypically held by gun owners. It would be fantastic for Utah's Democrat elected officials to feel as much (or even more) need to support RKBA for their constituents as have GOP officials.

I know a couple of different pro-RKBA organizations in Utah looked at this several years ago. But we were discouraged from doing anything by the then established spokesmen for the homosexual community. They offered up some reasons but I wonder as to the veracity of their claims as opposed to perhaps just some personal anti-firearm views they may have held. In any event, with Dave Nelson in that community and Janalee having an amazing knack to be welcome in almost any community, I do wish this effort all best success.

I would love to hear a report of how many persons avail themselves of the training and get a permit.

Charles

Heller and McDonald happened. When those cases occurred, politically encouraged pacifism was looked upon in a quite strange fashion.

Pro-gun Gay Groups Take Aim at Hate Crimes Bill

The above events didn't come to pass, but if you look at some of the relationship dynamics between the gay community and the Democratic party shot-callers, you'll see that there's no warmth between the two groups at all. I could go on for hours about the souring of relations, but with the recent attacks in Salt Lake, the gang rape of a lesbian in the San Francisco bay area, among other situations, there is a greater understanding of the need for self defense. Also, the "A-List" political gays inside of the beltway are hated by those of us outside of the political echo chamber, for making bad decisions and holding party loyalty above their civil rights. Sound familiar?

jpm84092

I too would like to learn how many people avail themselves of the training. The gay community is particularly at risk for attacks on their person(s). Prior to reading this post, I had been thinking about doing the same thing.