• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trust or Personal Ownership for Class III Items?

Aknazer

I'm posting this here because I wasn't sure where to post it. I remember awhile back someone was talking about setting up a trust to "own" things like suppressors and I was curious as to what the advantages are for having a trust own these items instead of the person directly. For example if one were to die could they transfer ownership of the trust to someone else and effectively sidestep the $200 transfer fee since the trust still technically owns the item?

zoom6zoom

Exactly. Anyone listed as a trustee may have custody of your listed NFA items. Let's say you were to die, with your stuff in your personal name. There's legal issues with your spouse even having access. If that person were a trustee, no problem. Plus you have a beneficiary, so not transfer taxes upon death of the primary trustee.

Let's also remember that an entity such as a trust has no fingerprints or face, so this is eliminated from the stamp process. And of course, a trust doesn't have to go hat in hand to the local CLEO and ask, please, sir, sign off on this and give me permission to exercise my rights.

There was an expert on trusts supposed to speak at a recent VCDL meeting. I wasn't able to attend, but was hoping someone would have taped or filmed it.

Last edited: