Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer season next weekend

Deer season next weekend

Who's going hunting next weekend and taking their sidearm with them? I am because where we are going is known for wild boars. Plus if the deer is still alive when I approach. I'd rather use a 9mm round to finish him rather than a 30-06 round.

I always carry a handgun and a rifle. My first deer a 9 pointer was taken with a .357, that's when I bought a Harry .44 mag. Killed 3 with it. I carry my .45 but now, unless it is going to step on me I use a 30-.06! I have the week off, a hunting we will go!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Heading up to Northern MO this Friday.

I always carry a pistol; however, I mainly use the 30-06. Although, this year I have plan on using my 357sig if less than 30 yards.

Good luck to everyone!

Yah. I'll be carrying for the coup de grace. 9mm ammo is LOTS cheaper than 7-08.

Little anecdote:

Dad and I were hunting a few years ago. He was up the hill bout 1/2 a mile.

"BOOM!" Awright, Dad, ya got one.
    "BOOM!" 5 seconds later. Guess he had to follow up. Oh well, good...
    "BOOM!" 2 seconds later. Huh. Sucker won't go down. Maybe he got two...
    "BOOM!" Dad, man, WTF?!?! Ya making swiss cheese...
    "BOOM!" Seriously?!?

I practically ran up the hill. That deer looked like a CSI nightmare, fur and blood all over the place and my Dad is pissed. He said the first was a spine shot and knocked her down, but she just would not stay down. He knocked her down three time, lol.

Sometimes I think it's the stories are the real reason I go hunting.

sounds like your dad needs to learn how to shoot
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony4310 View Post
    Who's going hunting next weekend and taking their sidearm with them? I am because where we are going is known for wild boars. Plus if the deer is still alive when I approach. I'd rather use a 9mm round to finish him rather than a 30-06 round.

Do you have to keep mag capacity to 10 rounds or less?

EDIT......

MDC website says any self loading firearm with a cap. of 11 rounds or more is prohibited whether in use or possession! Guess my pistol won't be in the field with me seeing as it's a 15 round mag. That is crap.
    Last edited by Tony4310; 11-11-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony4310 View Post
    EDIT......

MDC website says any self loading firearm with a cap. of 11 rounds or more is prohibited whether in use or possession! Guess my pistol won't be in the field with me seeing as it's a 15 round mag. That is crap.
    Would that not fall under state preemption, where they can not regulate CCW? I would feel they are over stepping their bounds on regulation of your CCW weapon by not allowing any weapon with more than 11 rounds. Are you hunting on private property or conservation land?

Well, thanks to the a***** 200 meters away on the other ridge lighting it up like he was wagging world war 3 on the deer population. I didn't get to kill s***!

Quote Originally Posted by xdmcompact View Post
    Would that not fall under state preemption, where they can not regulate CCW? I would feel they are over stepping their bounds on regulation of your CCW weapon by not allowing any weapon with more than 11 rounds. Are you hunting on private property or conservation land?
    Look like I need a 10 round clip for my AR... rats!!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

This is a grey area the DOC has stated they have control over. Since hunting is a permit sport, they have control over how you hunt, sunsequently, can tell you what you can hunt with and how.

Here is an example of this; in archery hunting, one could not carry their pistol (even w/a CCW). Now, that has changed, you can carry with a CCW. The MO legislature made an effort to overrule this; the DOC gave the impression the legislators couldn't do that because they were given powers to make the regs for us to follow. Long and short, the DOC made the change without the legislature enacting this.

If the DOC caught you carry with a rifle that held 7 rounds, you're ok. However, if you are carrying the same rifle and a pistol that holds 15 rounds, you might be in violation of codes, then subject to the penalties. This is the quandary, does the preemption apply here? I would say yes, but the DOC has other opinions.

It'll be ineresting to see if this comes up again this year.

I failed to say we saw lots of deer this weekend. Meat was gathered; however, we didn't see the bigger bucks we have seen in the past.

All in all.....it was a good weekend.

Hunting this weekend in the Ozarks on a friends large property! Saw a buck and 2 does there last year but too many small trees where we saw them... got the new spot picked out already. We are harvesting this year!

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

ust be nice lol. I'm pretty sure my hunting season is over.

Killed a doe this morning, that makes 3 this year.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Got Me a nice little 7 pointer! Not a giant rack but i was very happy with him!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 point.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	7448  
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations, where once free men trusted their rights and liberty to a wholly centralized government"

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicworkman View Post
    Congrats!!

Good Job!

Jeez, hunting sucked this year. First coupla days were windy, then rainy a few more, then windy again. A week in the woods and a 75 lb. doe to show for it.

On the plus side, only took one round to knock her down and keep her there.

Alternatively, one of my buddies hunting 70 miles north of us took three the first morning. All within 30 minutes. Showoff.

I have been bow hunting since Sept 15th I was waiting for the full rut to really start! Didnt see much for the buck really running around until opening morning of gun season my girlfriends brother wacked a 135 class buck 45 min after first light i got mine at 8:30 seen bucks running fields all day long and my girlfriend got her 135 class buck just before dark mine was the smallest but all great deer! I didnt even see a doe the whole first day!

It was pretty windy but in the rut ain't no wind gonna slow them down. Sorry to hear that you didn't do to good! It was the first year i got a buck so i can definitely relate I have had alot unfilled tags in last few previous years

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Jeez, hunting sucked this year. First coupla days were windy, then rainy a few more, then windy again. A week in the woods and a 75 lb. doe to show for it.

On the plus side, only took one round to knock her down and keep her there.

Alternatively, one of my buddies hunting 70 miles north of us took three the first morning. All within 30 minutes. Showoff.
    "The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations, where once free men trusted their rights and liberty to a wholly centralized government"

He said Giant Rack lmao, sorry had to do it!

I need to find a good location to hunt. I saw ZIP...

I am not saying seeing nothing means we suck as hunters but I for one went the last 3 yrs deerless! I was forced to spend more time than 2 days before deer season finding out there patterns, travel routes, food & bedding areas. I was forced to take up bow hunting but in the event i did this i have become a much better hunter in a short time! Public area's can be very productive! Especially during bow season and bow hunting in an area that also allows rifle hunting you will become more familiar with that the deer are doing! Keep working at it the deer are there!

My kids have been itching to go out, so we went early this morning.. within 10 minutes my son dropped a small doe. Now my daughter has to get one. It's going to be a really busy weekend..

I am not saying seeing nothing means we suck as hunters but I for one went the last 3 yrs deerless! I was forced to spend more time than 2 days before deer season finding out there patterns, travel routes, food & bedding areas. I was forced to take up bow hunting but in the event i did this i have become a much better hunter in a short time! Public area's can be very productive! Especially during bow season and bow hunting in an area that also allows rifle hunting you will become more familiar with that the deer are doing! Keep working at it the deer are there!
    Yes, 1 evening and 2 days and I think we identified some good places with tracks near the only wet spot in my friends creek and we heard some does and found alot of roughed up trees. I think we would have got one if we had more time. My friend has only had the property a few years but he has not spent much time out on the back side where the deer are. He says he will be out more this year identifying the patterns to make it easier next year. He only has 20 acres so not much opportunity unless he starts at the beginning of the season since his neighbors usually take some. Maybe I will find a legal way to take one of the 20 deer that cross my yard in Kansas City since I think I live in an area where hunting may be allowed (edge of swope park). I am farm sitting down in Pleasanton KS on an 80 acre spread... I may yet get lucky.

I was seeing 50mph+ winds on opening weekend at my property. Wind calmed down enough just before dusk on Sunday to get a nice doe. Second weekend I had a 8pt. basket buck walked about 10yds from my stand 5 minutes after getting in it. Had my Springfield XD drawn, but he spooked before I could pull the shot off. About 30 mins. later a nice doe walked out to eat our turnips. Took her with the 30-06 at about 25yds. A bit too far for me to feel comfortable shooting with my pistol. Not as good hunting as I expected, because we have some huge 10 & 12pt. bucks on camera, just didn't see them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast