• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer season next weekend

mechanicworkman

I am not saying seeing nothing means we suck as hunters but I for one went the last 3 yrs deerless! I was forced to spend more time than 2 days before deer season finding out there patterns, travel routes, food & bedding areas. I was forced to take up bow hunting but in the event i did this i have become a much better hunter in a short time! Public area's can be very productive! Especially during bow season and bow hunting in an area that also allows rifle hunting you will become more familiar with that the deer are doing! Keep working at it the deer are there!

Shooter64738

My kids have been itching to go out, so we went early this morning.. within 10 minutes my son dropped a small doe. Now my daughter has to get one. It's going to be a really busy weekend.. :lol:

peterarthur

I am not saying seeing nothing means we suck as hunters but I for one went the last 3 yrs deerless! I was forced to spend more time than 2 days before deer season finding out there patterns, travel routes, food & bedding areas. I was forced to take up bow hunting but in the event i did this i have become a much better hunter in a short time! Public area's can be very productive! Especially during bow season and bow hunting in an area that also allows rifle hunting you will become more familiar with that the deer are doing! Keep working at it the deer are there!

Yes, 1 evening and 2 days and I think we identified some good places with tracks near the only wet spot in my friends creek and we heard some does and found alot of roughed up trees. I think we would have got one if we had more time. My friend has only had the property a few years but he has not spent much time out on the back side where the deer are. He says he will be out more this year identifying the patterns to make it easier next year. He only has 20 acres so not much opportunity unless he starts at the beginning of the season since his neighbors usually take some. Maybe I will find a legal way to take one of the 20 deer that cross my yard in Kansas City since I think I live in an area where hunting may be allowed (edge of swope park). I am farm sitting down in Pleasanton KS on an 80 acre spread... I may yet get lucky.

HighFlyingA380

I was seeing 50mph+ winds on opening weekend at my property. Wind calmed down enough just before dusk on Sunday to get a nice doe. Second weekend I had a 8pt. basket buck walked about 10yds from my stand 5 minutes after getting in it. Had my Springfield XD drawn, but he spooked before I could pull the shot off. About 30 mins. later a nice doe walked out to eat our turnips. Took her with the 30-06 at about 25yds. A bit too far for me to feel comfortable shooting with my pistol. Not as good hunting as I expected, because we have some huge 10 & 12pt. bucks on camera, just didn't see them.

REALteach4u

EDIT......

MDC website says any self loading firearm with a cap. of 11 rounds or more is prohibited whether in use or possession! Guess my pistol won't be in the field with me seeing as it's a 15 round mag. That is crap.

Clarification per MDC. The capacity rule ONLY applies if you will be using it as a hunting method. If you are carrying it for self-defense purposes the capacity limit and ammo restriction will not apply. That does not mean that you can claim self-defense by putting a finishing shot on your hunted game with the pistol. In other words, the ONLY time you could use the pistol would be in self defense to avoid the capacity and ammo restrictions. If there is ANY chance you might use it as a hunting method (even in a finishing shot) you will need to abide by the capacity and ammo restrictions per the Wildlife Code book.