• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer season next weekend

Tony4310

Who's going hunting next weekend and taking their sidearm with them? I am because where we are going is known for wild boars. Plus if the deer is still alive when I approach. I'd rather use a 9mm round to finish him rather than a 30-06 round.

mspgunner

I always carry a handgun and a rifle. My first deer a 9 pointer was taken with a .357, that's when I bought a Harry .44 mag. Killed 3 with it. I carry my .45 but now, unless it is going to step on me I use a 30-.06! I have the week off, a hunting we will go!

Redbaron007

Heading up to Northern MO this Friday.

I always carry a pistol; however, I mainly use the 30-06. Although, this year I have plan on using my 357sig if less than 30 yards.

Good luck to everyone!

Griz

Yah. I'll be carrying for the coup de grace. 9mm ammo is LOTS cheaper than 7-08.

Little anecdote:

Dad and I were hunting a few years ago. He was up the hill bout 1/2 a mile.

"BOOM!" Awright, Dad, ya got one.
"BOOM!" 5 seconds later. Guess he had to follow up. Oh well, good...
"BOOM!" 2 seconds later. Huh. Sucker won't go down. Maybe he got two...
"BOOM!" Dad, man, WTF?!?! Ya making swiss cheese...
"BOOM!" Seriously?!?

I practically ran up the hill. That deer looked like a CSI nightmare, fur and blood all over the place and my Dad is pissed. He said the first was a spine shot and knocked her down, but she just would not stay down. He knocked her down three time, lol.

Sometimes I think it's the stories are the real reason I go hunting.

JCoff

Who's going hunting next weekend and taking their sidearm with them? I am because where we are going is known for wild boars. Plus if the deer is still alive when I approach. I'd rather use a 9mm round to finish him rather than a 30-06 round.

Do you have to keep mag capacity to 10 rounds or less?

Tony4310

EDIT......

MDC website says any self loading firearm with a cap. of 11 rounds or more is prohibited whether in use or possession! Guess my pistol won't be in the field with me seeing as it's a 15 round mag. That is crap.

Last edited:

xdmcompact

EDIT......

MDC website says any self loading firearm with a cap. of 11 rounds or more is prohibited whether in use or possession! Guess my pistol won't be in the field with me seeing as it's a 15 round mag. That is crap.

Would that not fall under state preemption, where they can not regulate CCW? I would feel they are over stepping their bounds on regulation of your CCW weapon by not allowing any weapon with more than 11 rounds. Are you hunting on private property or conservation land?

Tony4310

Well, thanks to the a***** 200 meters away on the other ridge lighting it up like he was wagging world war 3 on the deer population. I didn't get to kill s***!

peterarthur

Would that not fall under state preemption, where they can not regulate CCW? I would feel they are over stepping their bounds on regulation of your CCW weapon by not allowing any weapon with more than 11 rounds. Are you hunting on private property or conservation land?

Look like I need a 10 round clip for my AR... rats!!!

Redbaron007

This is a grey area the DOC has stated they have control over. Since hunting is a permit sport, they have control over how you hunt, sunsequently, can tell you what you can hunt with and how.

Here is an example of this; in archery hunting, one could not carry their pistol (even w/a CCW). Now, that has changed, you can carry with a CCW. The MO legislature made an effort to overrule this; the DOC gave the impression the legislators couldn't do that because they were given powers to make the regs for us to follow. Long and short, the DOC made the change without the legislature enacting this.

If the DOC caught you carry with a rifle that held 7 rounds, you're ok. However, if you are carrying the same rifle and a pistol that holds 15 rounds, you might be in violation of codes, then subject to the penalties. This is the quandary, does the preemption apply here? I would say yes, but the DOC has other opinions.

It'll be ineresting to see if this comes up again this year.

Redbaron007

I failed to say we saw lots of deer this weekend. Meat was gathered; however, we didn't see the bigger bucks we have seen in the past.

All in all.....it was a good weekend.

peterarthur

Hunting this weekend in the Ozarks on a friends large property! Saw a buck and 2 does there last year but too many small trees where we saw them... got the new spot picked out already. We are harvesting this year! :)

Griz

Jeez, hunting sucked this year. First coupla days were windy, then rainy a few more, then windy again. A week in the woods and a 75 lb. doe to show for it.

On the plus side, only took one round to knock her down and keep her there.

Alternatively, one of my buddies hunting 70 miles north of us took three the first morning. All within 30 minutes. Showoff.

mechanicworkman

I have been bow hunting since Sept 15th I was waiting for the full rut to really start! Didnt see much for the buck really running around until opening morning of gun season my girlfriends brother wacked a 135 class buck 45 min after first light i got mine at 8:30 seen bucks running fields all day long and my girlfriend got her 135 class buck just before dark mine was the smallest but all great deer! I didnt even see a doe the whole first day!

It was pretty windy but in the rut ain't no wind gonna slow them down. Sorry to hear that you didn't do to good! It was the first year i got a buck so i can definitely relate I have had alot unfilled tags in last few previous years

Jeez, hunting sucked this year. First coupla days were windy, then rainy a few more, then windy again. A week in the woods and a 75 lb. doe to show for it.

On the plus side, only took one round to knock her down and keep her there.

Alternatively, one of my buddies hunting 70 miles north of us took three the first morning. All within 30 minutes. Showoff.