• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urgent question: Senate subcommittee fiasco

TFred

This is the day before the election. Has anyone seen any Editorials or even any Letters to the Editor in any Virginia publication that addresses the cheating done by the Senate Democrats in setting up their "special" death committees?

This is probably the single most important issue of the cycle, as this practice takes the principles on which this nation was founded, and flushes them right down the can. If a handful of 3 or 4 appointed leaders can thwart the will of the rest of the entire Senate, how is that a Representative Government?

I submitted letters to the three newspapers in my Senate District, none were printed. Of course at least one endorsed the Democrat, so not hard to guess why.

Has anybody seen this issue in print or on-line? I would love to have links if there are any.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I expect to see absolute proof of the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, and the Yeti before I saw anything in the papers about the Senate subcommittee issue. It's just how they do things, dontchaknow? Why get worked up about it?

stay safe.

sent after being injected with thorazine/haldol by the thought police. Just wish they would get a better dart gun - the one from animal control is old and makes the dart wobble as it goes in.:D

TFred

I expect to see absolute proof of the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, and the Yeti before I saw anything in the papers about the Senate subcommittee issue. It's just how they do things, dontchaknow? Why get worked up about it?

stay safe.

sent after being injected with thorazine/haldol by the thought police. Just wish they would get a better dart gun - the one from animal control is old and makes the dart wobble as it goes in.:D
Why? Because that's all I can do.

TFred

grylnsmn

Why? Because that's all I can do.

TFred

All I can do is vote for Robert Sarvis tomorrow. I love the justification that the VCDL-PAC email gives for endorsing him: "Mr. Sarvis is running against Sen. Dick Saslaw. No more needs to be said."

I haven't seen any polls or anything to suggest how close the race might be, but I hope that Mr. Sarvis at least gives Dick a run for his money. Considering the makeup of the rest of the district, I doubt we'll actually throw him out of office.

TFred

All I can do is vote for Robert Sarvis tomorrow. I love the justification that the VCDL-PAC email gives for endorsing him: "Mr. Sarvis is running against Sen. Dick Saslaw. No more needs to be said."

I haven't seen any polls or anything to suggest how close the race might be, but I hope that Mr. Sarvis at least gives Dick a run for his money. Considering the makeup of the rest of the district, I doubt we'll actually throw him out of office.
Yeah... according to Wikipedia, he won in 2007 with 78%, against an Independent. :(

TFred

grylnsmn

Yeah... according to Wikipedia, he won in 2007 with 78%, against an Independent. :(

TFred

Yeah, but the election that betrays his potential weakness is actually the 2003 one, when he ran against C. W. "Levi" Levy, one of the greatest political crackpots of all time. (He's a perennial independent candidate for President, as well as a whole host of other offices.) The fact that he only got 82.48% of the vote against a crackpot, and then his share dropped to 78% when he only had a challenger from the left (Independent Green Party), suggests that it might be a closer election than Saslaw has had for a few cycles.

wylde007

And he's not likely to be defeated this time, either. However, if the Senate majority changes hands, he'll become a political nobody.
^^^ This.

We don't need to unseat all of them, just enough of them to wrest the subcommittees from their grasp.

Personally I would like to see schleps like Marsh and Saslaw KEEP their seats, however in a (D)-minority Senate so they can rant incoherently, helplessly and hopelessly like they've done to us for so many iterations. Let them sweat a bit, knowing they no longer hold the Ace cards.

architect

Sarvis, in his self-position-description in the Post's voter's guide of last Thursday states that he is a VCDL member.

Unfortunately, Saslaw looks unbeatable in the 35th. The district's demographics suggest the same would be true of any Democrat. The way to allow "Banjo Dick" to spend more time with his family is to support a more reasonable candidate in the primary. But I am crossing my fingers that incumbent complacency will give Sarvis a fighting chance.