• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Georgia Best Buy stores

Fabricator

Howdy all,

This afternoon I was asked at the door to my local (Gainesville GA) Best Buy to "leave the handgun in your vehicle". I have been in there over two dozen times (Usually OC'ing) without issue, and THOUGHT it was their policy to permit firearms, as allowed by state law. I spoke with the manager, and she indicated that there were no complaints, just her "concern" and that I was welcome back without the firearm. When I asked about a corporate policy, she said that they only allow "select employees" and law enforcement to carry in the store. As soon as I returned home, I sent a message to customer service inquiring about their policy. I tried searching the archives here using "Best Buy" as the search criteria, but no results came up. I think the site was acting up, as I am certain I have seen it discussed before.

Any thoughts?

Fabricator

DocWalker

Howdy all,

This afternoon I was asked at the door to my local (Gainesville GA) Best Buy to "leave the handgun in your vehicle". I have been in there over two dozen times (Usually OC'ing) without issue, and THOUGHT it was their policy to permit firearms, as allowed by state law. I spoke with the manager, and she indicated that there were no complaints, just her "concern" and that I was welcome back without the firearm. When I asked about a corporate policy, she said that they only allow "select employees" and law enforcement to carry in the store. As soon as I returned home, I sent a message to customer service inquiring about their policy. I tried searching the archives here using "Best Buy" as the search criteria, but no results came up. I think the site was acting up, as I am certain I have seen it discussed before.

Any thoughts?

Fabricator

The manager was blowing smoke, she is probably an anti from Kalifornia or something. I would go purchace the item elsewhere and send a nice letter to best buy about your experience and a copy of your receipt telling them you won't be shopping at best buy anymore. That you will make sure it gets sent out to all veterans and on social media that best buy has turned anti freedom. Make sure to include the store, manager, date and time of the interaction. This will get there attention and they will either correct their manager or loose a LOT of buisness.

Fabricator

This was my letter:

Dear Best Buy,
Good afternoon; my family and my company are long time customers of Best Buy. I am a father and a business owner that appreciates the products and services that your company offers. I am writing you about my visit today to your Gainesville Georgia store. My wife and I had recently purchased a new television and I was returning to recycle the old one. While discussing how to bring the old television in, the employee at the door, Shannon, also asked that I leave my holstered handgun in my vehicle. As a respectful individual, I complied, and after speaking with the manager, Jennifer, for clarification, I was told that Best Buy only allows law enforcement personnel to posses firearms in the store. That surprised me, as I assumed that Best Buy's policies were to follow Georgia State law. Jennifer indicated that there had been no customer complaint, but alluded that it was out of concern that I be disarmed. I have been carrying a firearm for many years, and been in the Gainesville store several times per month without incident until now. I am hoping that Jennifer simply misunderstood your policies and that my family and I are not required to be defensless while patronizing your store; as a crime victim myself, I personally know how suddenly predators strike and choose to have a means to protect myself and those I love. I earnestly look forward not only to your response, but also to resolving this so I can continue my patronage of your business.

Respectfully,

I am by no means the most talented "writer" and welcome constructive critique of the above letter!

Fabricator

DoubleAgentMan

Activist Member
They are the same as most, follow local/state laws but the manager does have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as it is not for being in a "protected" class. Sucks, but I would just find another Best Buy to shop at or maybe get it online? Its not the company but the store manager themselves that is the issue here.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
This e-mail was made available by a member from North Carolina.

Subject: Re: Best Buy (KMM10205413I65L0KM)
Date: Jul 12, 1:26 PM

Thank you for your inquiry into our policy of 'open carry' of firearms, I have learned a lot about this subject based on your thoughtful question.
Best Buy respects the laws afforded to its customers as citizens of the United States. As such, we comply with all applicable laws and statutes and will not ban guns at retail
locations.

I briefly researched the laws in North Carolina on your behalf and found that 'open carry' is also legal throughout North Carolina except within the town of Cary, which forbids
it by local ordinance. In the city of Chapel Hill, open carry has additional restrictions.

I encourage you and your friend to reach out to your local government, as Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail location unless required to do so by the local government
in that area.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and concerns. I have done my best to cover your question fully, and hope to shed more light on Best Buy's policy.

Best wishes for a beautiful week, Jessica
Best Buy Consumer Relations

You need to put in a call to corporate and ask them to send a memo to managment for the store in question to remind them of the policy.

carsontech

Activist Member
Could this have changed Best Buy Corporate's mind? lol

http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

Security guard today just tried to physically dis-arm me. Grabbed my right arm with his left hand and attempted to grab my pistol grip with his right. Elbow to the face and a back step rear kick/shin scrape to his right knee/shin...turned and hit him with a full body roundhouse punch. Knocked his a$$ out cold.

I could never find out if this guy was troll, lying for attention from his own community, exaggerating, or what. It's a long thread. I never found a FOIA request for the incident.

Last edited:

Ironbar

Could this have changed Best Buy Corporate's mind? lol

http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

I could never find out if this guy was troll, lying for attention from his own community, exaggerating, or what. It's a long thread. I never found a FOIA request for the incident.

Amazing. That's the third time I've seen that same post, verbatim, on three different gun boards from three different time periods. Sounds true to me!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This one caught my eye because the OP said right off that it was a Best Buy in Gainesville and that is the closest Best Buy to me and the one I visit most. However, the Gainesville in my case is in Virginia. Did catch me off guard.

I have shopped at three Best Buys in my area and two of them on a normal basis... the third one is a little further away but I was there at that one yesterday. I will be hitting another one I have never been to before this morning as they show something in stock I am trying to purchase.

I have never had a problem at a Best Buy from anyone in the store and it's good to hear that their policy is to adhere to the laws of the state in which they are operating. Definitely pursue this one.

Fabricator

Okay; the eagerly awaited response from customer service is below:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your experience in our Gainesville, GA store. I do apologize that you were asked to leave your firearm in your vehicle. It does appear that our associate was misinformed and for this we apologize.

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post "no guns allowed" signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.

Please know that feedback such as yours helps us ensure that you are getting the best experience every time you are at our stores. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,
Adrian
Best Buy Consumer Relations

I will be printing this and keeping it with me when I return to their store! I was reasonably sure this was their policy, and am glad to have confirmation. I'm not a huge BB "fan", but they are close and have decent prices that don't justify a drive elsewhere just yet...

Fabricator

hermannr

There is a post on the Washington state forum that includes a comment from a Best Buy employee...

It is very clear that Best Buy corporate policy is "State Law". Any BB employee that tells you differently is blowing smoke.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There is a post on the Washington state forum that includes a comment from a Best Buy employee...

It is very clear that Best Buy corporate policy is "State Law". Any BB employee that tells you differently is blowing smoke.

So this BB employee is violating state law by acting as a lawyer without access to the bar???

zoom6zoom

she said that they only allow "select employees" and law enforcement to carry in the store.
This is incorrect also. Employees are not allowed to carry. Employee handbook cites carrying weapons "inappropriate behavior which could result in action up to and including termination."

Otherwise it is indeed policy to leave the gun regulations up to the local jurisdiction. The corporate headquarters is posted, but none of the retail locations.

hermannr

So this BB employee is violating state law by acting as a lawyer without access to the bar???

What did you mean by that?

The BB employee in North Spokane Best Buy store stated the BB policy is to follow "State Law" whatever that "State Law" might be.

Here in WA that means you can walk into their store OC, no license required, or you can walk in concealed with a permit.

What has that got to do with acting as a Lawyer?

DocWalker

Last December I went to the BB in Boise Idaho after work, I put my holster on and went into the store to shop by myself. I was CC due to wearing a coat but while waiting I ended up getting involved with a medical emergency. After getting the lady out of the rest room she went into arrest, I took my coat off and started to do CPR. A large crowd WATCHED for 6 minutes without anyone offering to help until the FD arrived. I worked on her with the FD and Ambulance crew until we got her back and transported. Maybe the crowd was confused by the sight of a guy wearing a dress shirt and tie performing BLS and ACLS on someone with a Taurus 24/7 40 cal on his side. I also can't believe a electronics store doesn't have and AED, Pocket Mask, or anyone training in CPR.

People stunned by a MWAG saving a life I guess.