• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Parking Lot ?

Teej

No go if you're talking a school providing one or more grades in 1-12.

tech school or college, no problemo.

Last edited:

Teej

Kid is in the early childhood center, which is attached to the church.
The church and school are divided by the parking lot.

So if I entered and exited through the church without going onto the
Parking lot would this be ok ?

That sure sounds to me like the church would be considered "on school grounds".

I would say 100% no if they share the same street address.

If it's not...I'd say you've found a fairly unique situation and while I would lean (heavily) towards "no", I can't say so with confidence.

protias

Unless the properties are completely separate, I would have to say no go, especially if it is called a church and school.

E6chevron

Wisconsin GFSZ is 1-12 not K-12 in case that matters in your situation. Someone cite it please, on my phone...sorry. :)

Already on it.

948.605 titled Gun-free school zones

948.605(b) "School" has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).

948.61(1)(b) "School" means a public school, parochial or private school, or tribal school, as defined in s. 115.001 (15m), which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school, or high school.

BROKENSPROKET

That sure sounds to me like the church would be considered "on school grounds".

I would say 100% no if they share the same street address.

If it's not...I'd say you've found a fairly unique situation and while I would lean (heavily) towards "no", I can't say so with confidence.

Sure sound to me like the school is "on church grounds". The church owns and runs the school, the school does not own or run the church. The school would not exist with out the church, but the church would exist without the school.

I have no idea what the means in relation to the GFSZ, I just wanted to point that out.

Teej

I'll happily correct myself.

WI statute:
948.61(1)(b) "School" means a public school, parochial or private school, or tribal school, as defined in s. 115.001 (15m), which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school, or high school.

Federal GFSZ defers to state law for definition of school.
18 U.S.C. §921(25) The term “school zone” means— (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. (26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Last edited:

Teej

I have no idea what the means in relation to the GFSZ, I just wanted to point that out.

Agreed. It'll may well make a difference.

(c) "School premises" means any school building, grounds, recreation area or athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated for school administration.

If the school doesn't use any part of the church for grades 1-12, the OP should be OK by the letter of the law.

In practice...uh...IANAL.

Last edited:

apierce918

early childhood center sounds like a daycare not a school. My wife works at an early childhood center, and they posted their building, but I wouldnt think it falls under the school definition... or am I wrong?

bigdaddy1

948.61(3) (3) This section does not apply to any person who: ....
948.61(3)(e) (e) Drives a motor vehicle in which a dangerous weapon is located onto school premises for school-sanctioned purposes or for the purpose of delivering or picking up passengers or property. The weapon may not be removed from the vehicle or be used in any manner.

This should clarify the issue.

E6chevron

948.61(3) (3) This section does not apply to any person who: ....
948.61(3)(e) (e) Drives a motor vehicle in which a dangerous weapon is located onto school premises for school-sanctioned purposes or for the purpose of delivering or picking up passengers or property. The weapon may not be removed from the vehicle or be used in any manner.

This should clarify the issue.

It is helpful for those who are not transporting firearms... 948.61 is the section for:

948.61  Dangerous weapons other than firearms on school premises.
(1) In this section:
(1)(a) "Dangerous weapon" has the meaning specified in s. 939.22 (10), except "dangerous weapon" does not include any firearm and does include any beebee or pellet-firing gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any starter pistol.

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

It is helpful for those who are not transporting firearms... 948.61 is the section for:

Yep, then section 3 where it discusses the exclusions.
(3) This section does not apply to any person who: 948.61(3)(a) (a) Uses a weapon solely for school-sanctioned purposes.
948.61(3)(b) (b) Engages in military activities, sponsored by the federal or state government, when acting in the discharge of his or her official duties.
948.61(3)(c) (c) Is a law enforcement officer or state-certified commission warden acting in the discharge of his or her official duties.
948.61(3)(d) (d) Participates in a convocation authorized by school authorities in which weapons of collectors or instructors are handled or displayed.
948.61(3)(f)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just to clarify because some might be confused by what your are posting: Those exclusions are only for dangerous weapons OTHER than firearms. The exclusions for firearms are in 948.605