• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Parking Lot ?

GlockRDH

It might be worth noting...im sure the church has the school set up as a seperate business/tax entity...for legal and liability purposes...they might just happen to be on adjacent properties...If thats the case, that could be an entire different issue.

Last edited:

apierce918

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just to clarify because some might be confused by what your are posting: Those exclusions are only for dangerous weapons OTHER than firearms. The exclusions for firearms are in 948.605

now I am confused, 948.605 says gun free school zones, and the exception i see is locked rack or encased... so what about parking lot to pick up a child?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
now I am confused, 948.605 says gun free school zones, and the exception i see is locked rack or encased... so what about parking lot to pick up a child?

(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individ-
ual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individ-
ual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the
grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of
the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
by any of the following:

1m. A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with
18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii).
1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a
licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out−of−state
licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).
2m. A state−certified commission warden acting in his or her
official capacity.
3. That is not loaded and is:
a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

A licensee carrying a handgun is only excepted from the school zone, not the school grounds. Otherwise it has to be unloaded and encased or locked in a firearms rack.

E6chevron

Yep, then section 3 where it discusses the exclusions.
(3) This section does not apply to any person who: 948.61(3)(a) (a) Uses a weapon solely for school-sanctioned purposes.
948.61(3)(b) (b) Engages in military activities, sponsored by the federal or state government, when acting in the discharge of his or her official duties.
948.61(3)(c) (c) Is a law enforcement officer or state-certified commission warden acting in the discharge of his or her official duties.
948.61(3)(d) (d) Participates in a convocation authorized by school authorities in which weapons of collectors or instructors are handled or displayed.
948.61(3)(e) (e) Drives a motor vehicle in which a dangerous weapon is located onto school premises for school-sanctioned purposes or for the purpose of delivering or picking up passengers or property. The weapon may not be removed from the vehicle or be used in any manner.
948.61(3)(f)

You need to know the terminology.
Here is some information: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/990/001/6

948.61 is chapter 948, section 61. This section is entitled Dangerous weapons other than firearms on school premises.

Nothing in section 948.61, including subsection (3), regulates firearms on school premises.

If you are interested in firearms on school premises you need to look at statute 948.605 https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/605

A CCW license allows you to possess a firearm in the part of the school zone that is a "doughnut" from 0 to 1,000 feet outside of the school grounds.

Last edited:

apierce918

A licensee carrying a handgun is only excepted from the school zone, not the school grounds. Otherwise it has to be unloaded and encased or locked in a firearms rack.

ok, so under no circumstances can you take a handgun or long gun in any way into the parking lot to pick up a child from school.

BROKENSPROKET

ok, so under no circumstances can you take a handgun or long gun in any way into the parking lot to pick up a child from school.

You can IF the firearm is unloaded and encased and OR is locked in a firearm rack(long guns) even without a CWL.

A CWL does not allow you anything on school grounds.

rimmer

OK. So what if you are walking on the sidewalk, by the school, and you have to cross their driveway into the parking lot? When the sidewalk is as close to the school as you can get I understand that part. Or, is the parking lot part of the church or the school.
We have that same situation here where I live. Maybe a person just stays away from these church/schools when carrying.

oscar