Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still open carrying

still open carrying

Ok I may get my CCP because I have my hunters saftey, DD214, and an out of state permit but I like to OC and the new laws have made it easier for us all. So who is still OC'ing?

OC'd a lot before the permit. Now I OC all the time with the permit
    Rick
    "Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you."

Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Ok, I admit I will conceal carry more often then I did before it was legal.

Its easier with a jacket to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmmond View Post
    Ok I may get my CCL because I have my hunters saftey, DD214, and an out of state permit but I like to OC and the new laws have made it easier for us all. So who is still OC'ing?
    ftfy

I'll still carry. In fact, I'll carry more due to not having to worry about GFSZ and in the car.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Cool oc

I like to oc and still do,iwill as much as possible till it gets to cold then will have to cc.
    JEFFEMT

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    Ok, I admit I will conceal carry more often then I did before it was legal.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    ftfy

I'll still carry. In fact, I'll carry more due to not having to worry about GFSZ and in the car.
    I carry the same amount, but he state of mind is different, calmer now that it is legal.

I have been open carrying more. You guys have been making me jealous, cause my permit hasn't come yet!

McX
    still OC-ing, though i almost cut my hair the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXenEK0h6qg

Quote Originally Posted by metalman383 View Post
    I have been open carrying more. You guys have been making me jealous, cause my license hasn't come yet!
    ftfy

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    I'll do whatever feels right that day.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Yea, makes those short stops less of a hassle where before I'd just leave it in the car. Also don't need to worry if I might have to walk off private property.

I prefer open carry as I do beleive it is a deterent to a BG if he is able to see the firearm before he decides to start any sh!t.... I know, I know, some say it makes you a target... first one shot and all that.... Blah Blah Blah.... Whatever...

I have said in past posts that I will continue to open carry even with my permit and that the only reason I got it was for the GFSZ thing and to be able to carry loaded ANYWHERE in a vehicle I want, which will be either holstered on my hip or in my soon to be attached (within easy reach) holster to enable faster draw than holstered on my hip (while sitting in the vehicle).

But, I will admit that today I am carrying totally concealed (just to see how it feels) and it ain't too bad. I am carrying my Glock 27sc Gen. 4 / .40 Cal. in a IWB holster @ about 2 o'clock for easier / faster access. Another reaon I perfer open carry is I also believe that open carry allows for a faster draw that concealed carry. I admit to not having practiced (much) my concealed carry draw and for future concealed carry outings, I will be practicing more.

All in all I will be open carrying 90 - 95% of the time, every day, and concealed carry when the situtation leads itself towards concealed carry. At least by concealed carring every now and then I will have become more familiar with it than never CC'ed at all.

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Can someone please either tell me what has changed for OC, or point me where I can find the proper ways to OC?

For example, if I am open carrying, am I now able to keep holstered while in my car, or do I have to do the "dance"? I am waiting for my CWP License, but if I decided to start open carrying while waiting, I want to make sure I am following the law.

Quote Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
    Can someone please either tell me what has changed for OC, or point me where I can find the proper ways to OC?

For example, if I am open carrying, am I now able to keep holstered while in my car, or do I have to do the "dance"? I am waiting for my CWP License, but if I decided to start open carrying while waiting, I want to make sure I am following the law.
    You can carry in your car now, you don't need a CCL. One thing to be mindful is to watch out for GFSZ, but that is "only" a $1,000 forfeiture if you are (knowingly?) in one. The only other restrictions to OC is you cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol for consumption, unless you have the owner/manager on duty's permission, state parks, and public buildings.

If you want someone to go with you, find someone in your area: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer

Thank you protias!

Thank you protias!
    Anytime

Uh oh. Was way up north last weekend and OC'd in a tavern drinking soda without owner/manager permission thinking the CCL was good for that.

Did I mess up?

No one said a word.
    Rick

Uh oh. Was way up north last weekend and OC'd in a tavern drinking soda without owner/manager permission thinking the CCL was good for that.

Did I mess up?

No one said a word.
    Nope, with your CCL your good to go!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Did I mess up?

No one said a word.
    Nope, you didn't mess up. They were talking in the context of someone without a CWL.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...atutes/941.pdf
    You're looking for 941.237
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

I OC'd in a bar last night to watch the Bears-Eagles games. That created some conversations and I started spreading the word about the FREE WCI Handgun Safety courses that will available locally. This was a country bar not far from my house. Most of the guys that were in the were just getting a meal and beer after working the farm before heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Nope, you didn't mess up. They were talking in the context of someone without a CWL.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...atutes/941.pdf
    You're looking for 941.237
    Thanks Brass. It does look like 941.237(3)(cx) has me covered for that.

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.

(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:

(cx) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out−of−state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the licensee or out−of−state licensee is not consuming alcohol on the premises.

Whew.
    Rick

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmmond View Post
    Ok I may get my CCP because I have my hunters saftey, DD214, and an out of state permit but I like to OC and the new laws have made it easier for us all. So who is still OC'ing?
    I am casual carrying. Basically, open carry holster and no longer giving a cap if my jacket flaps over it.

Welcome... There is still some difference of opinion as to exactly where loaded open carry in a vehicle is considered legal. Actually, loaded open carry in a vehicle that is not visible from someone standing outside the vehilce can be concidered concealed carry and illegal. It is for this reason that some are advocating mounting a holster on top of the dash for 100% legal loaded open carry in a vehicle without the permit. It is a personal choice as to your fellings of mounting a holster on the dash. After you get your permit (license), obvioulsy you can carry anywhere, anyway you like in a vehicle.

I am REAL close to you so if you have any other questions or would like some pointers on open carry let me know here or PM. I have been open carrying daily for a while now...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast