• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

still open carrying

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

BROKENSPROKET

I OC'd in a bar last night to watch the Bears-Eagles games. That created some conversations and I started spreading the word about the FREE WCI Handgun Safety courses that will available locally. This was a country bar not far from my house. Most of the guys that were in the were just getting a meal and beer after working the farm before heading home.

Viper

Nope, you didn't mess up. They were talking in the context of someone without a CWL.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941.pdf
You're looking for 941.237

Thanks Brass. It does look like 941.237(3)(cx) has me covered for that.

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.

(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:

(cx) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out−of−state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the licensee or out−of−state licensee is not consuming alcohol on the premises.

Whew.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Ok I may get my CCP because I have my hunters saftey, DD214, and an out of state permit but I like to OC and the new laws have made it easier for us all. So who is still OC'ing?

I am casual carrying. Basically, open carry holster and no longer giving a cap if my jacket flaps over it.

Outdoorsman1

Can someone please either tell me what has changed for OC, or point me where I can find the proper ways to OC?

For example, if I am open carrying, am I now able to keep holstered while in my car, or do I have to do the "dance"? I am waiting for my CWP License, but if I decided to start open carrying while waiting, I want to make sure I am following the law.

Welcome... There is still some difference of opinion as to exactly where loaded open carry in a vehicle is considered legal. Actually, loaded open carry in a vehicle that is not visible from someone standing outside the vehilce can be concidered concealed carry and illegal. It is for this reason that some are advocating mounting a holster on top of the dash for 100% legal loaded open carry in a vehicle without the permit. It is a personal choice as to your fellings of mounting a holster on the dash. After you get your permit (license), obvioulsy you can carry anywhere, anyway you like in a vehicle.

I am REAL close to you so if you have any other questions or would like some pointers on open carry let me know here or PM. I have been open carrying daily for a while now...

Outdoorsman1

wild boar

Still Cary the same...

...way. I have a large frame pistol, the M-9. Use a Blackhawk, level 2, Close Quarters Concealment holster. boar out.

Cobra469

I still OC since my stupid "unconstitutional permission slip" hasn't yet arrived. Once it does though I plan to open carry on my hip with a concealed BUG depending on my mood.