• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying 2 extra ammo clips in public.

csaunders

Hey guys,

Quick question. I tend to carry 2 extra mags in open view with a Blackhawk magazine holder. I'm not sure if this may cause unwanted attention and would like feedback before I continue the practice. I tend to carry my Glock 19 Gen4 in a serpa holster on my right with the double clip holster on my left.

Thanks!
Chris

Dreamer

If you are carrying a semi-auto for personal defense and you are NOT carrying at least one spare mag, you are a fool.

CArrying two spare mags just means you have a LOT more options if you find yourself in a SHTF scenario. It gives you the ability to clear jams or malfunctions MUCH quicker. It gives you a LOT of spare rounds in case you find yourself faced by multiple attackers, and it ensures that even if somehow you accidentally eject your mag, you still have 2 fresh ones on hand.

Multiple spare mags are a good idea. Who cares what the uneducated, the paranoid, and the brainwashed anti's think.

Plus it is perfectly legal. There are no laws in NC limiting the amount of ammo or the number of magazines you may carry. The only place you see that is in some of the more rules-heavy IPSC competitions, and I stay away from them... :rolleyes:

I sometimes carry 2 spare mags with my Para P-14--all in Tan Serpa rigs. I have a Serpa CQC for the pistol, and two single-mag carriers for the mags--they are more comfortable, WAY more secure, and the angle they present the mags is MUCH more natural and easy to access. I also use this rig for competition--with an additional 2 or 3 mag carriers, depending on the layout of a given stage...

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
Just a little humor and education at the same time. Ignore the smart ass comments of the picture, I mean no disrespect. I didn't make it, I found it on another forum:

clipmag1.jpg

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I used to carry two spare mags. One with my JHP defense rounds, and another with FMJ just in case there was a problem feeding the JHPs. Currently, I only carry one spare magazine because of weight.

I haven't carried my 1911 in a long time, but I might still carry two spare magazines with it.

Badger Johnson

I harp on this topic but worth repeating.

You carry two spares, and here's why.

1. If you have a malfunction you might need to drop the mag to clear it;
2. When the fight is over, you have an empty gun unless you can reload;
3. You need a mag on your same side in case you're shot in the arm/hand so you can reload.

You need to have two on your belt to be complete one on the same side where you can reach it if shot in the opposite arm, and one on the opposite side for a normal feed.

Now IF you have two conditions you can carry without a mag. One, if you're in an extremely low crime/low danger location. I don't carry a mag if I'm in the house, though I have my gun on me. I don't worry about a spare mag if out with my partner because we're in a low crime area and she carries a revolver so I have a living back up.

HTH

Last edited:

csaunders

Thanks for the feedback! I'll continue to carry my Magazines. You right if I cant clear a jam and have to drop the Mag I would want a spare.

Badger Johnson

Always practice the reloading your -magazine- after you finish shooting. At the range, in a gunfight, during practice.

The normal thing to do after shooting and killing someone is to want to throw the gun down and sit down (untrained person), but you want your response to be to look 360 degrees after reloading, to prepare for additional predators. You want your magazine to be on your belt where it is functional and you can practice. Having an extra mag in your pocket is not functional (you can't smoothly access it).

csaunders

Always practice the reloading your -magazine- after you finish shooting. At the range, in a gunfight, during practice.

The normal thing to do after shooting and killing someone is to want to throw the gun down and sit down (untrained person), but you want your response to be to look 360 degrees after reloading, to prepare for additional predators. You want your magazine to be on your belt where it is functional and you can practice. Having an extra mag in your pocket is not functional (you can't smoothly access it).

Thanks! I appreciate your prompt response and setting me straight about the Magazines. :p

DocWalker

I usally carry one spare mag as if I can't hit my targets with 30 rounds I deserve to die. 30 rounds should be good for about 10 BG's if I have my 45 ACP.

As for a malfunction, It could happen but I try to keep my weapons clean, well lubbed and in working order. I have full comfidence in my equipment or I wouldn't have it on my person. I also carry a BUG just in case, small but it is all about how you use it. That is what I tell my wife anyway....yes I'm still talking about my gun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I find it interesting that the great big 30+ capacity mags for glock are maligned as 'ghetto' or 'gangsta' when they are perfect for this...

If you're OCing a gun, why so touchy about OCing a mag? I OC a loaded 30rd AK mag... If nobody sees it, nobody talks about it....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What the heck do you carry? a Draco?

(whatever it is.... SWEEEEET!)

I'd like to, but this is FL.... I simply choose to OC something that starts the conversation, since we're not allowed to OC. The fact that it's for an AK helps even more, because I can talk about what a load of sh~t the AWB was too... kill two birds with one stone. The AWB still being a popular thing among fake pro-gunners.

I can stand along on a fishing pier with my gun... Or I can do something useful...

Last edited: