• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about going to Rio Rancho

AH.74

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Unfortunately it seems your permit is not honored here.

You can OC any place not prohibited by state law (see applicable section of above file) and anywhere not prohibited by private ownership, such as a store or other place of business.

Stay out of ANY store or place which have any alcohol whatsoever. This includes many places you may not think would sell alcohol, such as grocery and convenience stores. Call the store ahead and ask if there's any question.

jeeper1

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about going there in the spring. My brother just moved there recently.

JamesB

jeeper1,

If you're going to be in Rio Rancho towards the end of December, join us for our annual OC get-together event...at Village Inn, Rio Rancho (across from Intel).

No permit required since we'll be OCing.

I may be coming through the area around that time as well. Got more specifics like a time, date, address?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
JamesB,

We usually wait until December progresses a bit before nailing down a date and time, so people have a better idea of their other plans by then. But the time-frame to choose from this year (presently) appears to be between December 23rd and January 1st (as I won't be up there until the 23rd -- will be driving up from El Paso, TX that day, being in El Paso December 16-23). Of course, anyone is free to do it earlier or later than this period, it's just that *I* can't make it unless it's between the 23rd and 1st (I return to Galveston on January 2nd).

So when we get into December, we can post the "official invitation" here and hash-out the date/time then.

As for time of day, we could go to Village Inn for breakfast, lunch or dinner...we did breakfast last time so that my be best for everyone this year. And, we had no OCing issues at that VI so I don't expect any this time.

So sure, see if you can make it!

Village Inn (Rio Rancho)
1741 Rio Rancho Blvd. SE (AKA: "State Hwy 528" and "Pat D'Arco Hwy" -- 3 names for the same street!)
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
(505) 892-4200

Check it out (aerial views) on Google Earth or Bing Maps. Just go up Alameda Blvd. NW (Hwy 528) and climb "up the hill" to Rio Rancho, look for the huge Intel complex on your right, and Village Inn is across from it on your left, just past the Hilton Garden Inn and right next to Starbucks.

@ Damien: I hope you can and your buddy can make it again this year, and THIS TIME I will have my OC holster (Galco Phoenix212) for OCing my Colt 1911 Government.

And I hope Rogue Aussie will be there, too...

Last edited:

Para Mour

OC Get Togethers

Any chance there would be interest in getting together more often than an annual event?
I am relatively new to the area, 7mo in Farmington and here since June. I've open carried since I got to New Mexico.
I'd really like to find more like minded people in the area. And would even like to do something to promote / encourage more OC participation.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Para Mour,

Short answer: I HOPE there's a chance for something regular to be organized!

[I've encouraged that here in this forum YEARS ago but no results yet]

Long answer:

The reason for the "annual" thing is I only come to the Albuquerque (ABQ) area annually -- there is no local organizng of any get-togethers (not in any city/town/village of NM for some reason -- Ruidoso could use one with that anti-gun mayor they have, right?). I know in Virginia, members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) -- many of them OpenCarry forum members BTW -- have regular meetings (VA may have the most active Open Carry members movement in any of the 50 states), so I don't see why NM members can't do the same. Why they haven't so far, I don't know but TMK, there aren't any get-togethers. I have seen forum members here TRY to get something going, but it always falls through or just peters-out due to "lack of interest" or committment (I guess). Who knows, but IMO, we need to MAKE the time and effort to meet...it isn't going to happen spontaneously on its own.

Whatever, I try to get something going when I am a "temporary local" there in ABQ (actually, in Rio Rancho (RR)) once a year but I may become a local myself this Summer as I plan to move from Galveston (and TX) permanently, to ABQ (while I save up $$ for (1) my "recon mission" to super-repressive/anti-gun HI and (2) a small motorhome to curise the Great State ogf NM occasionally, and visit friends in El Paso, TX -- both as per present plan) and THEN, I would like to see us do something on a regular basis in the ABQ area.

Meeting MONTHLY -- which is not too often yet not too much time in between, either -- at the same place or rotating amongst places (those that aren't POSTED of course) seems like a good time-frame. We could set up a standing day/time -- as an example, say breakfast @ 10:00am on the 1st/2nd/3rd or 4th Sunday of each month (choose one) and JUST DO IT. Everyone would know as the Sunday would always be the same Sunday each month, so people could show up whenever they could...hopefully, often (after all, it's only once a month, for maybe 1-2 hours!). We could meet sometimes in Rio Rancho (RR), and other times at places (many more choices) in much larger ABQ. It's all up for members' discussion and decision. But up to now nothing like that has ever been organized so we're lucky to get even an annual event.

So all I'm saying is get something GOING, and yes, on a regular basis. Put faces with the names in this NM forum (at least those in the greater ABQ area -- members in Las Cruces, Alamogordo and other places could do the same...I KNOW there are forum members in those two cities -- and I recall there was one guy in Taos -- but again, nothing happens re: get-togethers anywhere in NM. People here have said they WANT to meet, but when the time comes to DO IT, it doesn't happen. Not cool.

Regardless, for now the "next event" is December for ABQ/RR forum members (and, of course, any friends they have who also OC -- bring them, too)...the date & time at this point TBA, but the PLACE is Village Inn in RR as already stated.

Part of the reason for OCing is educating the public (I hope most NM COPS are educated by now!) as most of them probably are cluless re: their RIGHT to OC. While we certainly can do that when we OC individually, I agree with you that we should seek out "like-minded people" and one way to do that -- a good START -- is meeting OpenCarryOrg forum members in our local areas. Put faces to the names. Meet our "colleagues" in-person. Plus, since most of the public is unaware they CAN OC in NM -- so are shocked to see people doing it -- when they ask about it, they might just start doing it also...and maybe even coming to an "event" some time. And joining this forum. Who knows of the possibilities.

I realize AT FIRST OCing takes some getting used to, that's probably MAINLY why many more people CC than OC: They feel too self-conscious, don't want to deal with (any) negative stares, some ranting liberal (hopefully, that's not often) so they don't want ANY attention. Consequently, it takes a bit "braver" person to OC, if you will. But if you do it enough it becomes second nature. For the people who need some encouragement (or just more practice OCing in public), meeting with OTHER OCers would make the "learning curve" a bit easier.

So we can each do our own individual thing MOST of the time -- that's all good and fine -- but why not do it TOGETHER occasionally and meet others doing the same thing?

Last edited:

Para Mour

Albuquerque Meetings

Good Morning Cloudcroft,

Thank you for the quick response. I wouldn't mind spearheading a local group, but may have to wait til you get here unless someone else from the forum would step up to lend me a hand.
The reason is my work schedule. I work a 6 week repeating schedule on 12 hour shifts rotating through days and nights each week. Additionally I spend 1 week in Oklahoma out of that 6 week schedule.
A regular 1st, 2nd, or so Saturday would work great, and I'd be happy set that up; However, as you can see, it would be impossible for me to be at every meeting. I think that it would be important for there to be a primary person that could always be there, or a couple of people that could share that responsibility, to make sure the meetings got off to a proper start.
If there is anyone in the area that would like to help me get this off the ground, please chime in.
I will be leaving NM for OK tomorrow, but will be back on the 27th. I'll also be gone from the 24th of December thru the 8th of Jan 2012.
Let's get this going. I'll take care of the initial logistics, and do the legwork to find a couple of restaurants that are interested in our business.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I realize most people are working, so that's why I thought weekends were best. Sunday seemed better than Saturday (and afternoons better than mornings since it seems EVERYONE wants to go to breakfast at IHOP/Denny's and Village Inn weekend mornings -- VERY crowded and you feel rushed to turn over your table). But again, that could be decided later.

As for someone locally, you might try to get a hold of member Damien here -- he also may have a rotating shift but he was at our 2010 "event" and might be able to get with you on something (look for him in posts here and PM him) -- although he doesn't seem to post much lately. Also Rouge Aussie -- he's posted a bit more but don't know if he'd be attending, but at least he's in the area.

Maybe you should search through this forum for ABQ and RR forum members and send each one a PM...

As for me, I could make is most any time (once I MOVE there, not NOW of course) since I am NOT in the working-world anymore (retired) so only rarely do I HAVE to be somewhere for some official appointment (usually VA-related since I am a veteran) but those doctors' appointments are never on weekends!

Good luck...

Holey 1

Rio Rancho Meet n' eat

OK, I'll git 'er started.
Here are some dates that work for me n' Whats 'er name.

Anytime on Dec. 26 or 31
Anytime on Jan 1 or 2
Or any weekday evening after 4:30 PM.

Last time I was at a Village Inn they had the best pie. I ate three slices then took home three whole pies fer later.

So I guess if nothing else, it'll be me, Whats 'er name, and Cloudcroft sittin' around eatin' pie all evening.

Jeeper 1, come on down. We haven't seen you in a couple years. I think it was at Shari's in Port Orchard. You got there late and sat at our table. That would have been Whats 'er name and me on your right and the goofballs were on your left. I had a meeting to get to and had to leave, so we hardly got to talk to ya.

Holey 1

No permit to carry in yer car?

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about going there in the spring. My brother just moved there recently.

Jeeper 1 I'm sure somebody will jump all over me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe you need a permit to carry in your car here in New Mexico. Unlike Washington where a permit is required as soon as you get in the car. Never made much sense to me, you can open carry in Washington without a permit, but if you get in your car you need a permit, Huh? So in some ways open carrying is easier here.

Come on down.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Holey 1,

Of those 2 dates you gave, the 26th looks better -- see my other thread here entitled 2011 Annual Rio Rancho/Albuquerque OC Get-Together.

We still have plenty of time to hear back from others in the RR/ABQ area, so it's too early to tell if it'll only be us there.

When we get into December, we can firm up the date/time.

Anyone wanting to join us can "check-in" over at that other thread named above.

Last edited:

Holey 1

2 dates

Holey 1,

Of those 2 dates you gave, the 26th looks better -- see my other thread here entitled 2011 Annual Rio Rancho/Albuquerque OC Get-Together.

We still have plenty of time to hear back from others in the RR/ABQ area, so it's too early to tell if it'll only be us there.

When we get into December, we can firm up the date/time.

Anyone wanting to join us can "check-in" over at that other thread named above.

I wonder if I could get a job as a professional cornfuser? I seem to be pretty good at it.

Those two dates are actually a whole buncha dates.

I'll try again:

Anytime of day or night on Dec 26th or 31st

Anytime of day or night on Jan 1st or 2nd

Or any other weekday but only after 4:30 PM

So from Dec 26th to Jan 2nd that makes nine days total the we could be there.

If none of those work out, let us know, we got more.

Good gawd, nine days of pie? I think I'm in love.

Anyway, you guys pick a date whenever you get ready, we'll be there.

See ya there.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
No, it wasn't you, I often skim over a post ("speed-read without 100% comprehension") and think I know (and remember) what it said, but sometimes in my response I show my reading skills need adjusting. Sorry...my fault!

As for me, any time -- days or evening -- would work, and you seem pretty open re: time also, so we'll see who else can fit in those 9 days.

Or as I said, they can meet on their own some other time as I encourage RR/ABQ people to do something regularly on a monthly at least.

Last edited:

Holey 1

Career path

No, it wasn't you, I often skim over a post ("speed-read without 100% comprehension") and think I know (and remember) what it said, but sometimes in my response I show my reading skills need adjusting. Sorry...my fault!

As for me, any time -- days or evening -- would work, and you seem pretty open re: time also, so we'll see who else can fit in those 9 days.

Or as I said, they can meet on their own some other time as I encourage RR/ABQ people to do something regularly on a monthly at least.

Dangit, I thought I had a new career path.

Jeeper1 if you are still following this thread contact me before you come down. Maybe we can put something together for dinner one evening while you're here.

Whats 'er name and I have to bobtail the Peterbilt back up to Washington in Feb or March and bring back one more trailer of machinery before I can get my shop set up. Maybe we can catch you up there. After that, we'll be busy down here for awhile. Setting up shop is the fun part. Dealing with the tax man, local zoning, new llc, local law enforcement, BATFE, etc, etc, not so much.

Damien

Long time no chat, Cloudy.. How ya been?

I'd be interested as well on the meetup again this year.. I'll see if my friend Chris (you remember him) can join.. I'll post my work schedule in your other thread...

-Damien

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Hi, Damien!

Got back to you in the other thread...

Hey, I thought your friend's name was Tim (but may be thinking of someone else).

Anyway, be seeing you soon...

In the meantime, I need to decide if I carry Federal Hydra Shoks or Remington Golden Sabers in my 1911. Or maybe -- if my Tokarev will fit in my Comp-Tac holster -- I could use those Wolf HPs in it.

Well, I've got time to sort that out. ;-)