• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A funny thing happened on the Link tonite...

deanf

How precisely is it dumb? That sort of thing is precisely what inciting a riot is.

Sorry if I call B.S. where I see or read it.

Now if you think that telling someone they can be charged with a crime that doesn't exist in Washington isn't B.S., or isn't dumb, please explain.

Metalhead47

Now if you think that telling someone they can be charged with a crime that doesn't exist in Washington isn't B.S., or isn't dumb, please explain.

Well then enlighten us dean, what's the closest thing in the rcw's to inciting a riot? Gotta be something

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.774879,-122.342794
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanf

Well then enlighten us dean, what's the closest thing in the rcw's to inciting a riot? Gotta be something

We're not discussing the "closest thing . . . to"

"I told him he could be charged with the closest thing to inciting a riot (what that is I had no idea). That shut him up right quick!" Lol.

Metalhead47

We're not discussing the "closest thing . . . to"

"I told him he could be charged with the closest thing to inciting a riot (what that is I had no idea). That shut him up right quick!" Lol.

:rolleyes:
WA does not have a "brandishing" law, instead we have .270, unlawful display. If not "inciting a riot," I'm sure there's something along the same lines in the rcw's.

---

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I'll throw out: 9A.84.030 Disorderly conduct. Its a stretch though.

(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:

(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault;

(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;

(c) Intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic without lawful authority; or ...SNIP

Yelling "GUN" in a crowd could logically be expected to cause a class 3 CF as the previously lawful assemblage heads for the exits.

The screamer isn't blocking traffic but using others to do so. Like I said, a stretch.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

I have outlined a few laws below that I personally believe may be a chargeable offense for this.

False Reporting
9A.84.040 said:
(1) A person is guilty of false reporting if with knowledge that the information reported, conveyed, or circulated is false, he or she initiates or circulates a false report or warning of an alleged occurrence or impending occurrence of a fire, explosion, crime, catastrophe, or emergency knowing that such false report is likely to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, or transportation facility, or to cause public inconvenience or alarm.

Disorderly Conduct
9A.84.030 said:
(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:
(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault;
(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;
(c) Intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic without lawful authority; or

Reckless Engagnerment
9A.36.050 said:
(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.

While it won't say its a solid case but one could pursue an extortion by means of wrongful thread case against someone.

Extortion
RCW 9A.56.130 said:
(1) A person is guilty of extortion in the second degree if he or she commits extortion by means of a wrongful threat as defined in *RCW 9A.04.110(28) (d) through (j).

(2) In any prosecution under this section based on a threat to accuse any person of a crime or cause criminal charges to be instituted against any person, it is a defense that the actor reasonably believed the threatened criminal charge to be true and that his or her sole purpose was to compel or induce the person threatened to take reasonable action to make good the wrong which was the subject of such threatened criminal charge.

RCW 9A.04.110 (28) said:
(28) "Threat" means to communicate, directly or indirectly the intent:
(d) To accuse any person of a crime or cause criminal charges to be instituted against any person; or
(e) To expose a secret or publicize an asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule; or
(f) To reveal any information sought to be concealed by the person threatened; or
(g) To testify or provide information or withhold testimony or information with respect to another's legal claim or defense; or
(h) To take wrongful action as an official against anyone or anything, or wrongfully withhold official action, or cause such action or withholding; or
(i) To bring about or continue a strike, boycott, or other similar collective action to obtain property which is not demanded or received for the benefit of the group which the actor purports to represent; or
(j) To do any other act which is intended to harm substantially the person threatened or another with respect to his or her health, safety, business, financial condition, or personal relationships;

Also, just for clarity. Not all words or actions are protected by the 1st amendment/freedom of speech.
STATE v. PAULING on Protected Speach said:
Certain speech is not protected.   For example, threats that have a tendency to incite an immediate breach of the peace, i.e., fighting words, are not protected and may be regulated by the government.   See Huff, 111 Wash.2d at 925, 767 P.2d 572 (citing Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 572, 62 S.Ct. 766, 86 L.Ed. 1031 (1942)).  “ ‘Speech is often provocative and challenging․ [But it] is nevertheless protected against censorship or punishment, unless shown likely to produce a clear and present danger of a serious substantive evil that rises far above public inconvenience,  annoyance, or unrest.’ ”  City of Houston v. Hill, 482 U.S. 451, 461, 107 S.Ct. 2502, 96 L.Ed.2d 398 (1987) (alteration in original) (quoting Terminiello v. City of Chicago, 337 U.S. 1, 4, 69 S.Ct. 894, 93 L.Ed. 1131 (1949));  see also Huff, 111 Wash.2d at 925, 767 P.2d 572.   Words creating an immediate panic are not protected speech.  Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47, 52, 39 S.Ct. 247, 63 L.Ed. 470 (1919).

Metalhead47

That's fine but that's not what we are discussing. We are discussing the imaginary crime of inciting a riot.

Maybe YOU were. I believe the rest of us were discussing what actual crimes the doofus in the previous post could have been charged with for his stupid "don't shoot" comment. You're the one still picking at that "inciting" nit. If you don't stop picking at that, it'll never heal! :p

OrangeIsTrouble

That's fine but that's not what we are discussing. We are discussing the imaginary crime of inciting a riot.

we don't know if m1 claims you can be charged with INCITING a riot. He just claimed you can be CHARGED. Until he returns, we'll never know.

Hell, maybe he was just bluffing to that guy to shut his ass up. Either way, it did the job.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
we don't know if m1 claims you can be charged with INCITING a riot. He just claimed you can be CHARGED. Until he returns, we'll never know.

Hell, maybe he was just bluffing to that guy to shut his ass up. Either way, it did the job.

Yes, that is what I took from it...a well placed bluff.

(BTW, the new avatar is great....and not your girl friend that you were shooting with)