Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ammo

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raeford
    Posts
    11

    Ammo

    I had a quick question about the ammo you are allowed to carry. As in FMJ or HP because people keep telling me HP are illegal and then some say that they are legal. I could not find anything about it, I could have been looking in the wrong places.

    Thanks, David

  2. #2
    Activist Member carsontech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    531
    Hollow points are legal in NC.

    If I remember correctly, New Jersey is the only place in the US that bans the use hollow points, with a few exceptions.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228
    Dont quote me on this but as far I have read and researched the only type of ammo illegal to carry is "armor defeating" (like black talon). The left wing media nick named them (cop killers) though it seems more and more thugs are getting their hands on body armor....

  4. #4
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    Dont quote me on this but as far I have read and researched the only type of ammo illegal to carry is "armor defeating" (like black talon). The left wing media nick named them (cop killers) though it seems more and more thugs are getting their hands on body armor....
    For the record, Black Talon ammo wasn't really armor piercing. It was all media hype and Winchester ceased production because of it. They were replaced with the current Ranger-T.

    The media and certain individuals must really have a problem with the color black. I bet Pink Talons wouldn't have caused such a stink.

  5. #5
    Regular Member smlawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colfax, NC
    Posts
    261
    What about this Myth that I have heard from people for years??? :

    "Dont carry reloaded ammo cause you'll get sued for loading the bullets stronger to kill someone more".

    I can't tell you how many times I've been told this and I personally find it comical. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo anyways.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raeford
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by smlawrence View Post
    What about this Myth that I have heard from people for years??? :

    "Dont carry reloaded ammo cause you'll get sued for loading the bullets stronger to kill someone more".

    I can't tell you how many times I've been told this and I personally find it comical. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo anyways.
    Yea I agree 100 percent, but I also carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo its very reliable.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Black Talons were in NO WAY armor piercing. They just sounded bad; being drawn like Jessica Rabbit. But the media raised such a stink that Winchester practically did nothing more than change the color and relabel them as Ranger SXT. SXT supposedly stands for "Supreme Expansion Technology" but we all know that it really stands for "Same Exact Thing."

    If your shooting winds up in court and the prosecutor starts being able to talk about your ammo, you have a REALLY BAD lawyer on your side.

    That said, Hornady Critical Defense is one of the best loads out there for civilians, being designed for reliability and lower risks of overpenetration.
    That said, I carry a .45 with FMJ. It seems to have a very decent 100-year track record. It doesn't bother me a bit that they are reloads.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    434
    I've turned down opportunities to argue over whether hollow points were legal.

    The same guy insisted that all police versions of the Crown Vic were 4WD.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

    I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Carry what ever fits and works well in you gun. The FN 5.7 can and will defeat body armor. Still legal.
    If you can buy it you can carry it. PERIOD.
    Like someone loading rock salt instead of buck shot for home defense. Because they heard it was illegal to use deadly force in your house. Or to drag the body outside.

    Can't carry HP cuz it's Intent. Its all the jail house criminals that think they are a lawyer because of them being in court so much

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran G22shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina
    Posts
    249
    I use Extreme Shock's Air Freedom .40S&W in my pistols for EDC. I appreciate knowing that a round missing the BG isn't going to blow through a wall and take out an innocent on the other side.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by G22shooter View Post
    I use Extreme Shock's Air Freedom .40S&W in my pistols for EDC. I appreciate knowing that a round missing the BG isn't going to blow through a wall and take out an innocent on the other side.
    Extremely expensive, but I might buy a box for carry and home defense only. With the way this apartment complex is set up, I'm very likely to shoot through a wall into somebody's else' apartment if for some reason I missed. Right next to do the door, there's a big ass window that covers a good portion of the wall, and once you get outside, there's another apartment building across the parking lot. While I can always hope that I've been trained well enough to not miss and shoot through the window, anything can happen. So I'll have to look at ordering a box soon.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran G22shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    Extremely expensive, but I might buy a box for carry and home defense only. With the way this apartment complex is set up, I'm very likely to shoot through a wall into somebody's else' apartment if for some reason I missed. Right next to do the door, there's a big ass window that covers a good portion of the wall, and once you get outside, there's another apartment building across the parking lot. While I can always hope that I've been trained well enough to not miss and shoot through the window, anything can happen. So I'll have to look at ordering a box soon.
    ArmySoldier22 -- I didn't buy them through the website. I got them at Carolina Sporting Arms on South Blvd for about $26/box which made them comparable to other self defense ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

  13. #13
    mattwestm
    Guest
    I'd highly recommend picking up something better than those Extreme Shock rounds. I've seen the tests for them and although they do what they are supposed to, I highly doubt they'd adequately penetrate. They are simply novelty and won't properly stop a perp as well as a regular JHP. Sure, they might not penetrate walls, but that also means that they won't properly penetrate a suspect.

    Unfortunately you cannot have adequate body penetration and minimal penetration in walls in the same round.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran G22shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I'd highly recommend picking up something better than those Extreme Shock rounds. I've seen the tests for them and although they do what they are supposed to, I highly doubt they'd adequately penetrate. They are simply novelty and won't properly stop a perp as well as a regular JHP. Sure, they might not penetrate walls, but that also means that they won't properly penetrate a suspect.

    Unfortunately you cannot have adequate body penetration and minimal penetration in walls in the same round.
    No offense, mattwestm, but I haven't seen anything to say they aren't effective. If you've seen the tests, share them. In a discussion about carry ammo, it seemed logical to point out the existence of Extreme Shock for those who haven't heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Here's one such test, take it for what it's worth, but the results arent that great at all.. a very over-hyped, hyper-expensive gimmick, IMO.

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    Last edited by j4l; 11-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran G22shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Here's one such test, take it for what it's worth, but the results arent that great at all.. a very over-hyped, hyper-expensive gimmick, IMO.

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    Thanks for the link, j4l. The manufacturer's demonstration video for the air freedom rounds don't really match the boxotruth test results, so I guess it's up to me to recreate the tests and see for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

  17. #17
    Regular Member smlawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colfax, NC
    Posts
    261
    Doing your own tests is a great method to see for yourself what your ammo can do. I don't know if any of you hunt, but if you take wet and dry newspapers, stack them alternatively and maybe slide a shoulder bone from a deer in the middle, it will give you the closest example to how your bullet comes apart. You will be able to peel the papers back in layers to see the bullet channel. Its the closest representation of a deer that I have been taught so why not a human.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •