• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

proudgunowner

I had a quick question about the ammo you are allowed to carry. As in FMJ or HP because people keep telling me HP are illegal and then some say that they are legal. I could not find anything about it, I could have been looking in the wrong places.

Thanks, David

carsontech

Activist Member
Hollow points are legal in NC.

If I remember correctly, New Jersey is the only place in the US that bans the use hollow points, with a few exceptions.

aosailor

Dont quote me on this but as far I have read and researched the only type of ammo illegal to carry is "armor defeating" (like black talon). The left wing media nick named them (cop killers) though it seems more and more thugs are getting their hands on body armor....

M

mattwestm

Dont quote me on this but as far I have read and researched the only type of ammo illegal to carry is "armor defeating" (like black talon). The left wing media nick named them (cop killers) though it seems more and more thugs are getting their hands on body armor....

For the record, Black Talon ammo wasn't really armor piercing. It was all media hype and Winchester ceased production because of it. They were replaced with the current Ranger-T.

The media and certain individuals must really have a problem with the color black. I bet Pink Talons wouldn't have caused such a stink. :lol:

smlawrence

What about this Myth that I have heard from people for years??? :

"Dont carry reloaded ammo cause you'll get sued for loading the bullets stronger to kill someone more".

I can't tell you how many times I've been told this and I personally find it comical. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo anyways.

proudgunowner

What about this Myth that I have heard from people for years??? :

"Dont carry reloaded ammo cause you'll get sued for loading the bullets stronger to kill someone more".

I can't tell you how many times I've been told this and I personally find it comical. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo anyways.

Yea I agree 100 percent, but I also carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo its very reliable.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Black Talons were in NO WAY armor piercing. They just sounded bad; being drawn like Jessica Rabbit. But the media raised such a stink that Winchester practically did nothing more than change the color and relabel them as Ranger SXT. SXT supposedly stands for "Supreme Expansion Technology" but we all know that it really stands for "Same Exact Thing."

If your shooting winds up in court and the prosecutor starts being able to talk about your ammo, you have a REALLY BAD lawyer on your side.

That said, Hornady Critical Defense is one of the best loads out there for civilians, being designed for reliability and lower risks of overpenetration.
That said, I carry a .45 with FMJ. It seems to have a very decent 100-year track record. It doesn't bother me a bit that they are reloads.

Smith45acp

I've turned down opportunities to argue over whether hollow points were legal.

The same guy insisted that all police versions of the Crown Vic were 4WD. :uhoh:

muccione

Carry what ever fits and works well in you gun. The FN 5.7 can and will defeat body armor. Still legal.
If you can buy it you can carry it. PERIOD.
Like someone loading rock salt instead of buck shot for home defense. Because they heard it was illegal to use deadly force in your house. Or to drag the body outside.

Can't carry HP cuz it's Intent. Its all the jail house criminals that think they are a lawyer because of them being in court so much

ArmySoldier22

I use Extreme Shock's Air Freedom .40S&W in my pistols for EDC. I appreciate knowing that a round missing the BG isn't going to blow through a wall and take out an innocent on the other side.

Extremely expensive, but I might buy a box for carry and home defense only. With the way this apartment complex is set up, I'm very likely to shoot through a wall into somebody's else' apartment if for some reason I missed. Right next to do the door, there's a big ass window that covers a good portion of the wall, and once you get outside, there's another apartment building across the parking lot. While I can always hope that I've been trained well enough to not miss and shoot through the window, anything can happen. So I'll have to look at ordering a box soon.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Extremely expensive, but I might buy a box for carry and home defense only. With the way this apartment complex is set up, I'm very likely to shoot through a wall into somebody's else' apartment if for some reason I missed. Right next to do the door, there's a big ass window that covers a good portion of the wall, and once you get outside, there's another apartment building across the parking lot. While I can always hope that I've been trained well enough to not miss and shoot through the window, anything can happen. So I'll have to look at ordering a box soon.

ArmySoldier22 -- I didn't buy them through the website. I got them at Carolina Sporting Arms on South Blvd for about $26/box which made them comparable to other self defense ammo.

M

mattwestm

I'd highly recommend picking up something better than those Extreme Shock rounds. I've seen the tests for them and although they do what they are supposed to, I highly doubt they'd adequately penetrate. They are simply novelty and won't properly stop a perp as well as a regular JHP. Sure, they might not penetrate walls, but that also means that they won't properly penetrate a suspect.

Unfortunately you cannot have adequate body penetration and minimal penetration in walls in the same round.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I'd highly recommend picking up something better than those Extreme Shock rounds. I've seen the tests for them and although they do what they are supposed to, I highly doubt they'd adequately penetrate. They are simply novelty and won't properly stop a perp as well as a regular JHP. Sure, they might not penetrate walls, but that also means that they won't properly penetrate a suspect.

Unfortunately you cannot have adequate body penetration and minimal penetration in walls in the same round.

No offense, mattwestm, but I haven't seen anything to say they aren't effective. If you've seen the tests, share them. In a discussion about carry ammo, it seemed logical to point out the existence of Extreme Shock for those who haven't heard of it.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Here's one such test, take it for what it's worth, but the results arent that great at all.. a very over-hyped, hyper-expensive gimmick, IMO.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

Thanks for the link, j4l. The manufacturer's demonstration video for the air freedom rounds don't really match the boxotruth test results, so I guess it's up to me to recreate the tests and see for myself.

smlawrence

Doing your own tests is a great method to see for yourself what your ammo can do. I don't know if any of you hunt, but if you take wet and dry newspapers, stack them alternatively and maybe slide a shoulder bone from a deer in the middle, it will give you the closest example to how your bullet comes apart. You will be able to peel the papers back in layers to see the bullet channel. Its the closest representation of a deer that I have been taught so why not a human.