Thread: Open Carry at Oakland University Campus During Debates

NT

NT
    Last edited by azo313; 04-28-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Note: I'm not going *inside* the debate building. I don't have a ticket to enter. I'm just talking about standing outside the buildings where there will be plenty of people holding yard signs and probably tons of security as well.

In Michigan Public Colleges and Universities have their own police forces and their local ordinances are not preempted. I believe (haven't looked) Oakland U has an ordinance banning guns. Open Carry there and you should expect big legal problems. I'd advise against it.

That being said, I am the Lansing Regional coordinator for the Ron Paul campaign and will be there -- without my gun.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

You mean their local university ordinances can override state law? My understanding was that only classrooms and dormitories are pistol free zones.

From OU's Website:

7.02 Weapons and Explosives. No person shall possess a pistol or any other firearm, dangerous weapon, weapon, explosive or incendiary device on the campus provided, however, that the occupants of single family residences in the Meadow Brook subdivision and non-student University residences may possess firearms as permitted by law. A weapon is any object designed to cause physical injury or any other object capable of causing physical injury or death. A dangerous weapon is any weapon designed to be dangerous and capable of causing death or serious bodily harm, or any other object capable of causing death or serious bodily harm that is used as a weapon. Items presumed to be dangerous weapons include, but are not limited to, daggers, dirks, stilettos, blackjacks, billies, metallic knuckles, bludgeons, ninja stars, and pocket knives opened by mechanical device. This section shall not be applicable to the authorized display of fireworks or cannon fire at events approved by the President or a designee.
    From MCL 123.1101 (Definitions for preemption)
    (a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county.
    Please note, no mention of universities or colleges. As such, we (Michigan Open Carry, Inc.) do not consider Colleges and Universities to be preempted. We advise people accordingly not to carry on a University/College unless they have researched the institution's ordinances and have not seen any gun laws. As I have just researched this and found a gun law, I advise you against carrying.

TheQ
    Assistant Director of Research
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

TheQ, thank you for the info. I guess I'll have to avoid open carry at this event. Bummer. Good luck with the campaign efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by azo313 View Post
    TheQ, thank you for the info. I guess I'll have to avoid open carry at this event. Bummer. Good luck with the campaign efforts!
    I plan to OC at the airport as we wish Dr. Paul farewell.

Are you looking for more supporters at the airport? I'd like to join. I haven't seen him since Ann Arbor in the 2008 campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by azo313 View Post
    Are you looking for more supporters at the airport? I'd like to join. I haven't seen him since Ann Arbor in the 2008 campaigns.
    Anyone is welcome. Contact (734) 369-2136 for details.

I just want to point out that whether the OP has a CPL or not is irrelevant because the PFZ law regarding college dorms and buildings only applies to carrying concealed and is mentioned no where else. Like Q said you still may not carry a gun there period provided they have an ordinance banning firearms.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Call them and ask for a copy of thier ordinance. Please post it if you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Call them and ask for a copy of thier ordinance. Please post it if you get it.
    I already did. See above post #5.
    Last edited by TheQ; 11-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.

It appears that people who live in the Meadow Brook subdivision or non- student University housing can carry as allowed by law. Since no mention is made that such carry must be confined to the aforementioned areas, do we have any members who live in those areas?
    (I know that they most likely were trying to ban firearms except for those housing areas, but that is not how the law was written)
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.