• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Oakland University Campus During Debates

azo313

Note: I'm not going *inside* the debate building. I don't have a ticket to enter. I'm just talking about standing outside the buildings where there will be plenty of people holding yard signs and probably tons of security as well.

TheQ

In Michigan Public Colleges and Universities have their own police forces and their local ordinances are not preempted. I believe (haven't looked) Oakland U has an ordinance banning guns. Open Carry there and you should expect big legal problems. I'd advise against it.

That being said, I am the Lansing Regional coordinator for the Ron Paul campaign and will be there -- without my gun.

azo313

You mean their local university ordinances can override state law? My understanding was that only classrooms and dormitories are pistol free zones.

TheQ

From OU's Website:

7.02 Weapons and Explosives. No person shall possess a pistol or any other firearm, dangerous weapon, weapon, explosive or incendiary device on the campus provided, however, that the occupants of single family residences in the Meadow Brook subdivision and non-student University residences may possess firearms as permitted by law. A weapon is any object designed to cause physical injury or any other object capable of causing physical injury or death. A dangerous weapon is any weapon designed to be dangerous and capable of causing death or serious bodily harm, or any other object capable of causing death or serious bodily harm that is used as a weapon. Items presumed to be dangerous weapons include, but are not limited to, daggers, dirks, stilettos, blackjacks, billies, metallic knuckles, bludgeons, ninja stars, and pocket knives opened by mechanical device. This section shall not be applicable to the authorized display of fireworks or cannon fire at events approved by the President or a designee.

From MCL 123.1101 (Definitions for preemption)
(a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county.

Please note, no mention of universities or colleges. As such, we (Michigan Open Carry, Inc.) do not consider Colleges and Universities to be preempted. We advise people accordingly not to carry on a University/College unless they have researched the institution's ordinances and have not seen any gun laws. As I have just researched this and found a gun law, I advise you against carrying.

TheQ
Assistant Director of Research
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

azo313

TheQ, thank you for the info. I guess I'll have to avoid open carry at this event. Bummer. Good luck with the campaign efforts!

azo313

Are you looking for more supporters at the airport? I'd like to join. I haven't seen him since Ann Arbor in the 2008 campaigns.

xmanhockey7

I just want to point out that whether the OP has a CPL or not is irrelevant because the PFZ law regarding college dorms and buildings only applies to carrying concealed and is mentioned no where else. Like Q said you still may not carry a gun there period provided they have an ordinance banning firearms.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It appears that people who live in the Meadow Brook subdivision or non- student University housing can carry as allowed by law. Since no mention is made that such carry must be confined to the aforementioned areas, do we have any members who live in those areas?
(I know that they most likely were trying to ban firearms except for those housing areas, but that is not how the law was written)