• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voting today?

ManInBlack

Just curious as to who will be proudly wearing their rights while exercising them today. I did it last year at my polling place (a church) with a few strange looks and whispers but no problems whatsoever.

Another point of discussion: can a private property owner who has allowed his facility to be used as a polling place ban firearms? My inclination is that they would not be able to, in the same way they couldn't turn down a voter who was wearing a blasphemous or vulgar t-shirt. However, I haven't been able to find any statutes or case law to back up my opinion. Thoughts?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There have been several discussions on this topic in the Virginia forum. In brief, the best we were able to come up with is that the Virginia law is vague enough that someone could accuse you of doing one of the prohibited activities by OCing while you vote. Virginia does not seem to have any case law to help decide just how vague the law can be, or how specific a voting official has to be in charging someone with violating the laws governing conduct while voting.

What was found last year by one of the Virginia folks was that there were some internal "rules" being passed around by the state elections officials that looked like they were instructing local election officials to tell anyone OCing when coming to vote that they would have to remove the handgun before being allowed inside to get a ballot. A good attempt was made to remedy that but it did not go through - yet!

All this is to encourage you to read your state's laws and get hold of the instructions the state elections office gives to local election officials. See if there is anything there that perhaps your local elections officials either overlooked or just did not know, then see how you can remedy the situation.

stay safe.

ManInBlack

Well, I haven't had any problems to remedy, yet, nor have I heard of any in our state. If the pastor of the church had asked me to leave, I would have, just because that's the type of person I am. However, I would have followed up with the Secretary of State and asked if they had any guidelines regarding the matter.

It seems better to not push the issue until there is a problem...I can easily see the sheeple supporting a ban on weapons at polling places, because, after all, "who needs a gun to vote?" :eek:

ISRAEL

Well, I haven't had any problems to remedy, yet, nor have I heard of any in our state. If the pastor of the church had asked me to leave, I would have, just because that's the type of person I am. However, I would have followed up with the Secretary of State and asked if they had any guidelines regarding the matter.

It seems better to not push the issue until there is a problem...I can easily see the sheeple supporting a ban on weapons at polling places, because, after all, "
who needs a gun to vote?" :eek:

I did not vote this year ,we move from Boise to Meridian, and we need to find out where is the polling place for us, but I did it last year and I O.C. at the 7th day Advetisit Church on Cloverdale and there was no problem, that is why I love Idaho, and I was wandering about California, How can I possible do this in that state, in a church and in so close to their school.

ManInBlack

Voted, but unable to wear my rights due to the polling place.

In the prelim stages of filing a lawsuit against the State of Idaho and the county of Ada for infringing upon my right to bear arms by denying me such the ability when exercising my right to vote.

What is the polling place?