Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: DIA and checked firearm procedure

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver Area
    Posts
    6

    DIA and checked firearm procedure

    PPan0RYBdQ@hushmail.comHello All,

    I'm a little confused about the proper way to handle a firearm (semi-auto pistol) for checked luggage at DIA. I do not have a CCP and Denver is not an open carry place. How do I legally carry the pistol from the car to the counter in order to declare the firearm for checked luggage? Obviously it must unloaded and in a hard, locked case for the airline to accept, but is it considered "concealed"; therefore subject to CCP during transport to the counter?

    Side note - I'm traveling to TX, where concealed carry in a vehicle is legal, and a legal concealed carry directly from/to your vehicle is allowed with out a permit.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whjYLKDXW View Post
    PPan0RYBdQ@hushmail.comHello All,

    I'm a little confused about the proper way to handle a firearm (semi-auto pistol) for checked luggage at DIA. I do not have a CCP and Denver is not an open carry place. How do I legally carry the pistol from the car to the counter in order to declare the firearm for checked luggage? Obviously it must unloaded and in a hard, locked case for the airline to accept, but is it considered "concealed"; therefore subject to CCP during transport to the counter?

    Side note - I'm traveling to TX, where concealed carry in a vehicle is legal, and a legal concealed carry directly from/to your vehicle is allowed with out a permit.

    Thanks!
    We do not have a putting in the car, taking out of the car clause in our statute. So, yes technically you should have a permit to have it in a locked case and walk fifty feet with it. I have never seen this type of situation charged or prosecuted (and I've seen some weird ones). You should be fine without the permit just to get to the counter. Remember to leave the ammo at home and actually check the lock box in (carry on is bad).

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver Area
    Posts
    6

    Thanks for the reply....

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Remember to leave the ammo at home and actually check the lock box in (carry on is bad).
    TSA and Southwest regulations allow ammo to be in the same locked box as the gun - just not chambered (and I plan on taking out the clip)..is there something I should be aware of to be inclined not to have ammo?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whjYLKDXW View Post
    TSA and Southwest regulations allow ammo to be in the same locked box as the gun - just not chambered (and I plan on taking out the clip)..is there something I should be aware of to be inclined not to have ammo?
    What firearm are you taking that uses a "clip"? All my handguns use magazines....Just a little fun at your expense here.

    I have either removed magazine and covered end with electrical tape or packed ammo in an ammo box (the one defensive rounds come in with individual slots) and put this in the same lock box as my holstered handgun. Put a small towel in there to keep everything separated.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver Area
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    What firearm are you taking that uses a "clip"? All my handguns use magazines....Just a little fun at your expense here.

    I have either removed magazine and covered end with electrical tape or packed ammo in an ammo box (the one defensive rounds come in with individual slots) and put this in the same lock box as my holstered handgun. Put a small towel in there to keep everything separated.
    You are correct - magazine - my faux pas.

    What is the purpose of taping the end of the magazine?

    As you have checked pistols in luggage do you have a CCP? Just asking because I'd like to know if transport from your car to the counter was any concern to you.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whjYLKDXW View Post
    You are correct - magazine - my faux pas.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1whjYLKDXW View Post
    What is the purpose of taping the end of the magazine?
    I flew Southwest and at that time their website said as long as the business end of the magazine was covered (to cover the one exposed primer) then ammo could remain in the magazines. A bit of electrical tape was all that was needed. Always check with your airline to see what rules are currently in place for ammo. Southwest still allows loaded magazines as long as they are "securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case...)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1whjYLKDXW View Post
    As you have checked pistols in luggage do you have a CCP? Just asking because I'd like to know if transport from your car to the counter was any concern to you.
    Sadly, I do not live in Colorado (YET). If I did live in CO and did not have a CCP, it would not concern me to transport an unloaded and locked firearm from car to counter.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    What firearm are you taking that uses a "clip"? All my handguns use magazines....Just a little fun at your expense here.
    Perhaps he owns any of the following:
    M1917 revolver (.45 ACP)
    Mauser broomhandle (various)
    Steyr 1911 (9 steyr)
    Roth-Steyr Model 1907 (8mm Roth-Steyr)
    Smith & Wesson Model 940 revolver (9x19)
    S&W Models 22, 25, 26, & 625 (.45ACP)
    S&W Models 310 & 610 (10mm Auto / .40S&W)
    S&W Model 646 (.40S&W)
    Taurus 905 (9x19)
    Taurus 3801BB (.380 acp)
    Grendel P10 (.380 acp)
    Bergman ( various)



    Just having a little fun back at ya, Kingfish.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  8. #8
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Perhaps he owns any of the following:
    M1917 revolver (.45 ACP)
    Mauser broomhandle (various)
    Steyr 1911 (9 steyr)
    Roth-Steyr Model 1907 (8mm Roth-Steyr)
    Smith & Wesson Model 940 revolver (9x19)
    S&W Models 22, 25, 26, & 625 (.45ACP)
    S&W Models 310 & 610 (10mm Auto / .40S&W)
    S&W Model 646 (.40S&W)
    Taurus 905 (9x19)
    Taurus 3801BB (.380 acp)
    Grendel P10 (.380 acp)
    Bergman ( various)



    Just having a little fun back at ya, Kingfish.
    Right....All my PISTOLS use magazines.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Do the Colorado concealed weapons statutes apply to any firearm? In Idaho and most other states I'm familiar with, a firearm must be loaded to be considered concealed for the purposes of needing a permit. Otherwise, carrying a pistol from a vehicle to the range in its original box could get a person in trouble...

  10. #10
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Right....All my PISTOLS use magazines.
    Google any one of those. They're all pistols...with clips.
    Last edited by Polynikes; 11-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Google any one of those. They're all pistols...with clips.
    Revolvers are not pistols. They are....revolvers.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pistol
    1
    : a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel;

  12. #12
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Revolvers are not pistols. They are....revolvers.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pistol
    Lol! Oh no! Not the dictionary! :P

    According to Dictionary.com, a pistol is :

    1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand.
    By the way, not all my examples were revolvers either.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wm_md_1459472.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	7359

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17780_2727_1_md.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	7360

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grendel%u00252BP10RtSide1.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	7361

    The distinction between "pistol" and "revolver" is a relatively new one in the world of firearms, but growing in popularity. Traditionally, a revolver was still considered a pistol.
    Last edited by Polynikes; 11-09-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Now with pics!
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  13. #13
    Regular Member jmar254's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    40
    How does everyone feel about the fair/safe travel act, I'm pulling the name out of my arse because I'm tired, as long you are legal to have where you start and where you end up you can carry a firearm as long as it is in a locked container.

    I would in no way sweat taking a firearm in the locked container to the counter to report, I would go from the car straight to the counter, go to the bathroom get a bite to eat after you report.

  14. #14
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I did a blog post here about flying w/ firearms, with a link to the federal law:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/en...ial-w-firearms

    Also, last weekend I flew to Utah from WI.
    Put the pistol in a case when I got out of my car,
    locked it,
    (was uber paranoid, so put the locked case in a locked safe in my locked suitcase)
    the ammo & magazines went in a sock in the safe.

    Got to the check-in counter, said I had a firearm to declare,
    she asked if it was unloaded & in a locked case, I said yes,
    she gave me an orange card to sign & put inside my suitcase on top of clothing,
    then I took it to the TSA jerk who yelled at me for thinking maybe he was supposed to verify that my pistol was unloaded.

    Returning from UT was a little more hassle -
    the counter gal wanted me to open all the locked cases so she could see that my pistol was unloaded...
    actually, it was broken down so it was blindingly obvious that it wasn't loaded or functional.
    Then the TSA guy wanted to look inside the safe & swab the outside for explosive residue (but didn't want to actually look at the pistol).
    Well, duh, it's got ammo in it. What do you think you'll find?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Longmont, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    39

    Tsa hummmmmmm

    I'm wondering if TSA could hire any less intelligent people than they do, most of these people don't seem to even know what they are doing in general, but even less on anything having to do with firearms, even most of the Supervisors seem to be clueless.

  16. #16
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by INSPGAD View Post
    I'm wondering if TSA could hire any less intelligent people than they do, most of these people don't seem to even know what they are doing in general, but even less on anything having to do with firearms, even most of the Supervisors seem to be clueless.
    What kind of security do you expect when you pay minimum wage?

    And is it just me or is "unarmed security" a contridiction of terms?
    Last edited by JamesB; 11-11-2011 at 06:23 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Douglas County, CO.
    Posts
    83
    1) Provided it is secured in a locked case going from your car to the ticket counter should not be an issue. It would be considered safe travel and not accessible to you under this situation. You do not need a CCW as it is not on your person.
    2) Make sure it is unloaded and that you dont have more than 50 rounds of ammo that is with you.
    3) I use a small vault that secures to the inside of my luggage and has a round key to open it, so very secure.
    4) Declare your weapon at the ticket counter and be prepared for different responses from different airlines. TSA = total stupid a**hole's and each person and each airport act differently. You may have to explain the rules to them. I also use a trigger lock so it is double locked.

    Some airlines are better than others. Alaska Airlines is awesome. American, Delta and United are completely dependent on the person at the ticket counter and the specific TSA person.

    Texas is a great place to travel with you gun, keep in mind that Texas is a notification state, meaning that should you encounter LEO, you have to provide ID along with your CCW if you are carrying. Most LEO's in TX are cool about it. State Police are fine provided you declare should you encounter them. Failure to declare will get you in trouble.

    Safe travels.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    10
    The tsa rules are at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

    There's no requirement that you only bring 50 rounds of ammo, but the airlines generally do limit ammo to 11 pounds. Check your airline's website.

  19. #19
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    I flew out of DIA last month. It was the biggest cluster$#%^ I've ever experienced while flying.

    First of all, carrying an unloaded weapon into the airport in a locked hard box falls under federal transport rules. No permit required. You can have ammo in the same box, so long as it isn't more than 11LBS, and the bullets are separated so they don't touch each other. I'm unaware of rules about ammo in the magazine, so I emptied mine.

    When I presented my suitcase for check in, I was told to wait for a porter to come take my suitcase. I accompanied him to a special TSA room, nowhere near any checkpoint, where they ran my suitcase through what looked like a CT scanner. Then, they made me sign some form, and they opened my luggage. They asked for the key, opened the gun case, and looked at the weapon. They relocked the box, and handed me back the key. They repacked my suitcase, and gave it back to the porter. He had me follow him back to the little conveyor that takes the luggage to who knows where. Then I was free to head to the gate.

    I've been through many airports with a weapon, and this was the silliest waste of time (and expensive equipment) that I've ever observed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •