View Poll Results: What's your opinion of West Hollywood's ban on the sale of fur within city limits?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's great! No one should be allowed to wear the skin and hair of an innocent animal.

2 6.90%
  • I have mixed feelings about it. Wearing fur is ok, but the city government should govern.

2 6.90%
  • It infringes on the rights of the store owners to earn a living by selling a common item.

8 27.59%
  • Does this apply to the $500 - $2000 leather shoes by Choo, Cavalli, Ferragamo, and others?

6 20.69%
  • I believe the ban is ridiculous. The fur industry harms no person.

14 48.28%
  • I believe it's un-Constitutional and should be elevated in the courts.

12 41.38%
  • The decision should be left up to the Capital markets.

11 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Hollywood Fur Ban - What's Your Opinion?

West Hollywood Fur Ban - What's Your Opinion?

Article: "Putting animal rights over fashion imperatives and its own vibrant shopping scene, West Hollywood's leaders have given final approval to a first-in-the-nation ban on the sale of fur clothing within city limits."

Please note it's not a ban on the wearing of fur; just on its sale. What's your opinion of this ban?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I think they should only allow selling if they're able to verify the furs source and make sure they aren't; over harvesting wild, wasting the rest of the body, or torturing them.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Why fur and not leather? Easier to pick on old ladies than bikers.

I don't agree with it and I want to know what gives them the authority to ban it, but so long as they are obeying all Constititional rules then ultimately it doesn't matter what I think as they are legally governing theirselves. Now if they don't have the legal authority to ban the sale of fur then it should be fought.

One acronym... VABIC 'Voted all because I could' :P
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Herr Heckler Koch

Fur? It's a byproduct of killing/eating meat. Wear it or throw it away.

West Hollywood, huh? There was a California governor who once hit the nail right on the head by this statement, "California has an ideal climate for growing fruits and nuts."

Food for thought; Maybe we should give California back to Mexico. Can you think of a better revenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    You eat fox? or chinchilla? beaver? Very few furbearers are actually ate.

You can make that argument for leather but it don't particularly apply here.

I don't wear fur, ever (not because I find it wrong), but this is the government overstepping its bounds.

I also eat these and spin their fur and tan their hides:

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Bunny, yum.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Bunny, yum.
    +1
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    You eat fox? or chinchilla? beaver?
    Well.....one of those would take this thread onto a whole new track and ....... cant picture me wearing that fur though...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

I don't wear fur, ever (not because I find it wrong), but this is the government overstepping its bounds.
    I eat beaver all the time. Oh wait.... SVG is right.

Anyway I think we should ban west hollywood.
    Last edited by PrayingForWar; 11-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post

I would love to learn how to do that. I have never seen a rabbit with fur that thick.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Not yet, but I hope to eat them one day.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Just for the fun of it I Googled the city council's pictures. Leather belts and shoes, one playing with a (leather) football. I'm sure several have nice leather seats in their cars.

Anthropomorphic images of Disney-esque furbearers makes the hypocrisy so much easier.

I think they should also outlaw smog-producing vehicles, all poisons, non-purebred dogs, and poor people and then triple taxes to install rainbow machines at every school - for the children.

Could they at least make an exception for nutria fur? They're invasive nuisance animals and they make quite a mess down here in Louisiana. We sick our SWAT teams on them.

No, really: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjgWwqho-E

The ban is absolutely ridiculous...
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

As it is the local government and not the federal government, please explain how they are overstepping. I'm 100% against the ban, but I am curious as to what makes it illegal for a local government to ban this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post

11:53 made me lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    As it is the local government and not the federal government, please explain how they are overstepping. I'm 100% against the ban, but I am curious as to what makes it illegal for a local government to ban this type of thing.
    A full explanation would take longer than I have patience for but the short short short version is:

1. if no humans are harmed in the making of something then punishing someone is violating their rights; to pursue happiness.

2. unless it is authorized in the constitution of the state they have no authority to pass such a law.

I wouldn't like to see a german shepard coat or beagle slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    I wouldn't like to see a german shepard coat or beagle slippers.
    lol. Might be a bit odd...

If I was into motorcycles I'd go for a dog backpack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdj67XknFrM

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post

You would think that the animals are already being killed for their meat so you should use as much of it as you can. I dont understand why people have a problem with wearing fur.

Quote Originally Posted by brekay View Post
    You would think that the animals are already being killed for their meat so you should use as much of it as you can. I dont understand why people have a problem with wearing fur.
    Largely the same ones who are against eating meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast