• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Hollywood Fur Ban - What's Your Opinion?

What's your opinion of West Hollywood's ban on the sale of fur within city limits?

• I think it's great! No one should be allowed to wear the skin and hair of an innocent animal.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I have mixed feelings about it. Wearing fur is ok, but the city government should govern.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • It infringes on the rights of the store owners to earn a living by selling a common item.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Does this apply to the $500 - $2000 leather shoes by Choo, Cavalli, Ferragamo, and others?

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I believe the ban is ridiculous. The fur industry harms no person.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I believe it's un-Constitutional and should be elevated in the courts.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • The decision should be left up to the Capital markets.

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article: "Putting animal rights over fashion imperatives and its own vibrant shopping scene, West Hollywood's leaders have given final approval to a first-in-the-nation ban on the sale of fur clothing within city limits."

Please note it's not a ban on the wearing of fur; just on its sale. What's your opinion of this ban?

sFe

I think they should only allow selling if they're able to verify the furs source and make sure they aren't; over harvesting wild, wasting the rest of the body, or torturing them.

Aknazer

I don't agree with it and I want to know what gives them the authority to ban it, but so long as they are obeying all Constititional rules then ultimately it doesn't matter what I think as they are legally governing theirselves. Now if they don't have the legal authority to ban the sale of fur then it should be fought.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Fur? It's a byproduct of killing/eating meat. Wear it or throw it away.

SFCRetired

West Hollywood, huh? There was a California governor who once hit the nail right on the head by this statement, "California has an ideal climate for growing fruits and nuts."

Food for thought; Maybe we should give California back to Mexico. Can you think of a better revenge?:D

09jisaac

You eat fox? or chinchilla? beaver? Very few furbearers are actually ate.

You can make that argument for leather but it don't particularly apply here.

I don't wear fur, ever (not because I find it wrong), but this is the government overstepping its bounds.

okboomer

I also eat these and spin their fur and tan their hides:

[video=youtube;xhiwhg75ftE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhiwhg75ftE[/video]

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

I don't wear fur, ever (not because I find it wrong), but this is the government overstepping its bounds.

I eat beaver all the time. Oh wait.... SVG is right.

Anyway I think we should ban west hollywood.

Last edited:

Daylen

Not yet, but I hope to eat them one day.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Just for the fun of it I Googled the city council's pictures. Leather belts and shoes, one playing with a (leather) football. I'm sure several have nice leather seats in their cars.

Anthropomorphic images of Disney-esque furbearers makes the hypocrisy so much easier.

I think they should also outlaw smog-producing vehicles, all poisons, non-purebred dogs, and poor people and then triple taxes to install rainbow machines at every school - for the children.

Aknazer

As it is the local government and not the federal government, please explain how they are overstepping. I'm 100% against the ban, but I am curious as to what makes it illegal for a local government to ban this type of thing.