• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Hollywood Fur Ban - What's Your Opinion?

What's your opinion of West Hollywood's ban on the sale of fur within city limits?

• I think it's great! No one should be allowed to wear the skin and hair of an innocent animal.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I have mixed feelings about it. Wearing fur is ok, but the city government should govern.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • It infringes on the rights of the store owners to earn a living by selling a common item.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Does this apply to the $500 - $2000 leather shoes by Choo, Cavalli, Ferragamo, and others?

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I believe the ban is ridiculous. The fur industry harms no person.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I believe it's un-Constitutional and should be elevated in the courts.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • The decision should be left up to the Capital markets.

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daylen

As it is the local government and not the federal government, please explain how they are overstepping. I'm 100% against the ban, but I am curious as to what makes it illegal for a local government to ban this type of thing.

A full explanation would take longer than I have patience for but the short short short version is:

1. if no humans are harmed in the making of something then punishing someone is violating their rights; to pursue happiness.

2. unless it is authorized in the constitution of the state they have no authority to pass such a law.

brekay

Fur? It's a byproduct of killing/eating meat. Wear it or throw it away.

You would think that the animals are already being killed for their meat so you should use as much of it as you can. I dont understand why people have a problem with wearing fur.

Daylen

You would think that the animals are already being killed for their meat so you should use as much of it as you can. I dont understand why people have a problem with wearing fur.

Largely the same ones who are against eating meat.

Aknazer

A full explanation would take longer than I have patience for but the short short short version is:

1. if no humans are harmed in the making of something then punishing someone is violating their rights; to pursue happiness.

2. unless it is authorized in the constitution of the state they have no authority to pass such a law.

And this what it should be based off of imo. If they don't have the authority then I'm against the ban and it should be removed. If it does have the authority then while I disagree it isn't my local government.

OldCurlyWolf

West Hollywood, huh? There was a California governor who once hit the nail right on the head by this statement, "California has an ideal climate for growing fruits and nuts."

Food for thought; Maybe we should give California back to Mexico. Can you think of a better revenge?:D

Very appropro. Just think what we would lose:

1. Several million illegal aliens:idea:
2. Governor Moonbeam:banana:
3. Senators Boxer & the other moon bat
4. Nancy Pelosi!(it is worth it just to make her a Mexican Citizen.);:lol::lol:
5. an economic drain on the rest of the country.:monkey
6. Several million fruits and nuts:p

There is so much more but only 1 or 2 of the short list above is enough to make it worthwhile.