• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Public Safety Committee Interim Study

hrdware

http://okhouse.gov/Committees/ShowInterimStudies.aspx

Here is a link to a list of all the interim studies done this summer, 11-014, Oklahoma Gun Owners Rights. You can get a copy of what was presented and a copy of the 2 hour 23 minute audio of the hearing.

Speakers included

Prof. Michael O'Shea, Oklahoma City University School of Law, who's personal stance was to enhance the concealed carry law instead of enacting an open carry law but did talk about it.

Charles Smith, Executive Director of the Oklahoma Rifle Association

Tim Gillespie, Oklahomans for 2nd Amendment (OK2A)

Miles Hall, President/Owner H&H Gun Range

Maj. Rusty Rhoades, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety

IMO, most of the talk centered around improving the CC laws and not much about OC (other than police not being able to determine the bad guys from the good guys and the CC tactical advantage)

We will see what kind of proposed legislation this study provides.

hermannr

Typical: Ask Mr. Rusty Rhodes...when was the last time he saw a criminal OC? Criminals hide their weapons, (permit system or not) they will never intentially advertize they are armed by OC their weapons.

I would say he as bought into the Brady garbage.

okboomer

You are aware of the paper done for EMTs that says one way to determine if it is a criminal they are working on when they find a pistol is to look for a holster? A LAC will have their weapon properly holstered.

I would have to dig into the forum to find the link, but it was done several years ago and it would be interesting to find out if it has made it's way to Oklahoma EMTs, etc. The problem is that I think it might have been on Women and Guns forum and that is still down. There are some good links in the link section about Women and Crime, along with the ScaredCat site.

Men might not want OC for themselves, but start talking about their wives and daughters being endangered because of needing a permit ... maybe a way to bring a few more fence sitters onto the OC side.

Aknazer

I've heard that there's case law that specifically states that one can't turn a right into a priviledge by requiring a permit. So between that and the OK Constitution stating that the legislature can regulate but not prohibit, one should point out that the OC ban violates the OK constitution since there is no way to legally carry w/o a permit for one's defense.

hrdware

You are aware of the paper done for EMTs that says one way to determine if it is a criminal they are working on when they find a pistol is to look for a holster? A LAC will have their weapon properly holstered.

I would have to dig into the forum to find the link, but it was done several years ago and it would be interesting to find out if it has made it's way to Oklahoma EMTs, etc. The problem is that I think it might have been on Women and Guns forum and that is still down. There are some good links in the link section about Women and Crime, along with the ScaredCat site.

Men might not want OC for themselves, but start talking about their wives and daughters being endangered because of needing a permit ... maybe a way to bring a few more fence sitters onto the OC side.

10 years ago I was an EMT. Had never heard of that tidbit you speak of.