• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer gun taken at gunpoint in KC?

peterarthur

Someone recently tried to tell me that an OCer had their gun taken at gunpoint recently in Kansas City. I could not find any news stories or forum postings to verify this. Has anyone else heard or seen this? I have a strong suspicion that this is a story by a CCW advocate meant to discourage OC, but I need to see if I can locate the original source of this information if it was not just made up.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
To my knowledge, this has happened ONCE in recent history. It was not in KC but it was within the last couple of years. Searching this board should indeed find it because it was such a remarkable event it was quite talked about.

I know a lot of others have searched as well and frankly it just flat out does not happen. It happens to cops a lot, but cops are involved in direct contact with the criminal and it is part of the struggle process of gaining freedom not robbery.

peterarthur

Actually the story I referenced has been found false and the person filing the report was charged for filing a false police report.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ng-open-carried!-Update-5-2010-story-debunked

I have contacted the PIO office and have been directed to speak with Don Xxxxxxx. I have left him a voicemail and I am looking to validate the story, also. The person I did speak with was familiar with the case but referred me to the PIO anyway. I got the sense that it was, in fact, a false police report, but she would not specifically verify this and asked me to talk to PIO.

I write this as I sit in Panera on 103rd in Kansas City, Missouri with my Glock on my hip, 100 yards from the Kansas State Line where I would get arrested... I think they are getting used to me

REALteach4u

Someone recently tried to tell me that an OCer had their gun taken at gunpoint recently in Kansas City. I could not find any news stories or forum postings to verify this. Has anyone else heard or seen this? I have a strong suspicion that this is a story by a CCW advocate meant to discourage OC, but I need to see if I can locate the original source of this information if it was not just made up.

And here we go again with the bashing of folks based on their means of carry. We're here for the SAME PURPOSE! So my question is why are you posting it here instead of going directly to the individual who told you this tale? (obvious answer being that you cannot because you don't know who it was)

That said, nothing in the Springfield news either. Likely rumor mill or perhaps an incident that didn't get reported to LE...I'd go with the previous.

REALteach4u

To my knowledge, this has happened ONCE in recent history. It was not in KC but it was within the last couple of years. Searching this board should indeed find it because it was such a remarkable event it was quite talked about.

I know a lot of others have searched as well and frankly it just flat out does not happen. It happens to cops a lot, but cops are involved in direct contact with the criminal and it is part of the struggle process of gaining freedom not robbery.

Weren't there two widely publicized incidents in the past couple of years? One in Wisconsin and I believe the other was in Florida. The Wisconsin incident pulled a lot of publicity because some were using it to push for CCW.

Remember, that is just the documented cases involving law abiding citizens. It doesn't include LE incidents and it certainly doesn't include criminal on criminal incidents.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Weren't there two widely publicized incidents in the past couple of years? One in Wisconsin and I believe the other was in Florida. The Wisconsin incident pulled a lot of publicity because some were using it to push for CCW.

Remember, that is just the documented cases involving law abiding citizens. It doesn't include LE incidents and it certainly doesn't include criminal on criminal incidents.

I only recall one myself, but I am old lol. It was a hot topic at the time and a lot were pointing to it saying "see I told you so" which was kind of stupid since it was indeed a very RARE happening even if it has happened other times, it is huge rare.

The rarity of it is likely somewhat on par with the rate of OC which is huge low. Some fairly simple math would prove it out to be a pretty stupid discussion point despite it being a pretty common LEO response. They are so tuned to it because of the retention issues they have, they tend to project those same needs onto citizens. Can't blame em, I mean WTF who wants to get into a brawl with some idiot, it is time to walk away and maintain distance in contrast to a police officer has to get up close and personal with pond scum. I would say a good guess is that the average police officer get into 100 times as many scuffles as the average citizen in their lives. Doing so wearing a gun has HUGE issues. I will never face those same circumstances unless jumped.

Google-fu clearly identifies it is NOT a problem and is nearly impossible to find any data to support the claim that it has ever happened at all.

peterarthur

And here we go again with the bashing of folks based on their means of carry. We're here for the SAME PURPOSE! So my question is why are you posting it here instead of going directly to the individual who told you this tale? (obvious answer being that you cannot because you don't know who it was)

That said, nothing in the Springfield news either. Likely rumor mill or perhaps an incident that didn't get reported to LE...I'd go with the previous.

Um, since you do not know me and the fact that I support and practice open carry on, occasionally on NATIONAL NEWS :) , why would you assume I am bashing open carry or any other carry?? I am reporting the fact that such a rumor may exist and wanted to know if anyone else had heard of this actually happening. I am looking for the truth, for good or bad. The person who said this to me is a person with authority over me at my job and does not handle being questioned on the veracity of their statements very well, THAT is why I am asking here. And where else would I be more likely to run down such a rumor than on a forum where people pay attention to such things?

AND in the process, I have been able to find out that the other rumor from Virginia is probably false, too, to the benefit of all who are newer to these forums.

Recap: I do not bash, I open carry, I ask questions whether I may like the answer or not unless it involves insinuating that one of my managers may have been "misinformed".