• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a Lawyer

marinepilot81

Back in Aug I had a run in with the law near Jackson Hole. They unlawfully detained me and cuffed me for open carrying and I'd like to file suit. The Second Amendment Foundation set me up with a lawyer in Cheyenne, but I had to fire him. Now, I'm looking for some help finding another lawyer to continue the case.

Anyone know of any good lawyers with 2A experience in Wyoming?

marinepilot81

Unfortunately, no update yet. Neither NRAILA Wyoming or Gun Owners of Wyoming has returned any of my repeated calls and I'm about to just hit up the yellow pages. So much for being a lifetime member of the NRA, eh?

We-the-People

Unfortunately, no update yet. Neither NRAILA Wyoming or Gun Owners of Wyoming has returned any of my repeated calls and I'm about to just hit up the yellow pages. So much for being a lifetime member of the NRA, eh?

Have you tried Gun Owners of America (GOA)? They are the "no compromise" alternative to the NRA. I'm sure they probably have a database of lawyers. The Yellow Pages sucks for picking a lawyer, used them four times and have never been satisfied with their perormance though the third one is still pending so the outcome may be favorable. Of course I also used a referral from a trusted attorney and wasn't satisfied with that encounter either. They are so specialized you can't just have one guy you like and go with it. Grrrrrrr

And here I am contemplating 3 years of law school to become one. LOL

marinepilot81

Forward, March!

I've heard good things about the GOA, but GOWyoming never called me back. I found a civil rights lawyer a few hours ago that agreed to take my case so we'll see how that goes.

With my audio, the Sheriff's Dept is dead to rights before an HONEST jury. This does affect Wyoming and I'll be sure to update you guys on the case and post the audio after it's done and my lawyer says it's appropriate to so.

Carry on!

CAPT FRED CFII

Many years ago I was very fortunate enough to work with an attorney in Riverton, who has since retired. One of the many things I learned from him was that if you are going to try to sue the government, or one of the branches of the government, get an attorney as far removed from the locale as you can, to eliminate any possible "ties" to the locals as you can. But, in your case, I would suggest you see if the offices of Gerry Spence can help you. The are located in Jackson, but I think they have satellite offices in Cheyenne. Spence normally likes to take on "high profile" cases against the underdog. Just maybe, a 2nd Amendment case would of interest to them.

Robin47

Many years ago I was very fortunate enough to work with an attorney in Riverton, who has since retired. One of the many things I learned from him was that if you are going to try to sue the government, or one of the branches of the government, get an attorney as far removed from the locale as you can, to eliminate any possible "ties" to the locals as you can. But, in your case, I would suggest you see if the offices of Gerry Spence can help you. The are located in Jackson, but I think they have satellite offices in Cheyenne. Spence normally likes to take on "high profile" cases against the underdog. Just maybe, a 2nd Amendment case would of interest to them.

I agree, I don't think there's a better lawyer in the whole country then Gerry Spence,
your lucky your in Wyoming.
Robin47 :)