Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: First run in with a cop.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    99

    First run in with a cop.

    I went around the Seattle area with my girlfriend to give her some company between her interviews today. The first one was in Bellevue and I just went down to Barnes and Noble with no issue. Then we went over to downtown Seattle for her next one and to walk around a bit. There was a mounted officer outside the parking lot we parked in. I walked by and it went a little like this.

    Cop, "Hi"
    Me, "Hi" walking away
    Cop, "Can you come over here for a second?" I do so. "Did you know you have a gun on your hip?"
    Me, "Yes"
    Cop, "Open carry huh? Well don't be surprised if you get run down by some cops if your behavior makes people nervous."
    Me, "Ok" I stare at him and he stares at me for a second
    Cop, "Ok" and I walked away.

    I think it went pretty well considering I was a bit annoyed that I heard him say gun down instead of run down (run down makes more sense now). But I didn't want to bring it up because my girlfriend doesn't like me carrying anyways, so the less I make it an issue, the less she will care. Other than that if your behavior makes people nervous, open carry or not, I don't see why you should be surprised if someone calls the cops on you. So I don't see his point. I also went into a gelato place and someone said something about packing heat, but I don't really think they were talking to me. A cop did come up from down stairs when I was there, but nothing interaction. All in all, a good day, got some mushrooms and bok choy from Pikes Place Market and had a good dinner.

  2. #2
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Did he honestly ask you if you knew you had a gun on your hip??

    I guess LEOs have nervous conversational breakdowns like the rest of us.


    Believe it or not, I have had that exact same line given to me, but not from an LEO, it was a co-worker in Alaska.

    My response...

    "Yep, and you don't, so whats up with that?"

    I think his brain locked up on him, because his jaw worked for a few moments but no words came out. I just smiled big at him and chucked him on the shoulder and walked on.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    99
    Yep, that's what he said. When he said that I looked at his gun and thought about saying, "Did you know you have one on your hip too?" But with the girlfriend around and needing to go to an interview, I figured it was best to go with yes. In hindsight I should have said "Did you know you're on a horse?"

  4. #4
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by p2a1x7 View Post
    Yep, that's what he said. When he said that I looked at his gun and thought about saying, "Did you know you have one on your hip too?" But with the girlfriend around and needing to go to an interview, I figured it was best to go with yes. In hindsight I should have said "Did you know you're on a horse?"
    Yes!

    Knowing me, I totally would have chided him for that gaff, but I can understand your reasons for keeping it simple.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Did he honestly ask you if you knew you had a gun on your hip??
    I'm betting this was an investigational encounter, and the question was an attitude test.

    If the OPer had smart-alecked a reply, things might have gone a little differently from the cop's end.

    The OPer passed the investigation by his responses. And, he passed the attitude test by not getting lippy.

    I'm not a big fan of consenting to a police encounter. But, this one turned out OK. If you ignore the outrageous idea by the cop that merely exercising a basic human right by carrying a defensive arm deserves suspicion or a fishing expedition, of course.

  6. #6
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    At least he didn't ask you for ID not to bad of a encounter considering. Glad you stood your ground
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001
    ...seems like a dumb question to me. Oh well, carry on!
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by p2a1x7 View Post
    Cop, "Hi"
    Me, "Hi" walking away
    Cop, "Can you come over here for a second?" I do so, and ask, "Are you detaining me? He said no so I politely wished him a nice day and left.
    Here's what should have happened.

  9. #9
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If the OPer had smart-alecked a reply, things might have gone a little differently from the cop's end.

    The OPer passed the investigation by his responses. And, he passed the attitude test by not getting lippy.
    Yeah, that's the problem. It's too bad that a response like looking in feigned shock at your own hip and saying "Oh my God! How did that get there??" might not get the officer to leave you alone.

    Cop, "Open carry huh? Well don't be surprised if you get run down by some cops if your behavior makes people nervous."
    "I hope your brother officers are familiar with the law and the opinions of the Washington State Supreme Court and know that it takes more than 'making someone nervous' to rise to the level of an offense."

    What a weird encounter. I guess it was handled about as well as something like that could be.
    Last edited by John Hardin; 11-09-2011 at 09:32 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    Here's what should have happened.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member Fisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    45R
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by p2a1x7 View Post
    I went around the Seattle area with my girlfriend to give her some company between her interviews today. The first one was in Bellevue and I just went down to Barnes and Noble with no issue. Then we went over to downtown Seattle for her next one and to walk around a bit. There was a mounted officer outside the parking lot we parked in. I walked by and it went a little like this.

    Cop, "Hi"
    Me, "Hi" walking away
    Cop, "Can you come over here for a second?" I do so. "Did you know you have a gun on your hip?"
    Me, "Yes"
    Cop, "Open carry huh? Well don't be surprised if you get run down by some cops if your behavior makes people nervous."
    Me, "Ok" I stare at him and he stares at me for a second
    Cop, "Ok" and I walked away.
    That reminds me of a song:
    I could see by his outfit, that he was a cowboy,
    He could see by my outfit, that I was a cowboy toooooo,
    We could see by our outfits, that we were both cowboys,
    If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy toooooo.
    Makes more sense if you know some cowboy songs. LOL

  12. #12
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by p2a1x7 View Post
    Cop, "Can you come over here for a second?" I do so. "Did you know you have a gun on your hip?"
    Jump back and scream: "Oh my GOD where did that come from?!".
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  13. #13
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    You handled yourself very well in this situation.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    144
    "did you know you ha a gun on your hip?"
    Look down in horror
    "OMG ew ew ew!! Get it off get it off!"

  15. #15
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Say softly & conspiratorially to horse:

    "He's a little slow, isn't he?"
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398
    hahaha, loving the should-have-said-responses/actions.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Edge of the woods
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I'm betting this was an investigational encounter, and the question was an attitude test.

    If the OPer had smart-alecked a reply, things might have gone a little differently from the cop's end.

    The OPer passed the investigation by his responses. And, he passed the attitude test by not getting lippy.

    I'm not a big fan of consenting to a police encounter. But, this one turned out OK. If you ignore the outrageous idea by the cop that merely exercising a basic human right by carrying a defensive arm deserves suspicion or a fishing expedition, of course.

    Smart-alecked, like if his retort to the "do you know you've got a gun on your hip" question would have been, "do you know your horse has a d!@k on it?" and then just kept walking away? I'm assuming the cop was on a horse, and not "mounted" as in the two dogs in heat sense of the word.
    Last edited by dadada; 11-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241
    Run down, sounds painful!
    Would be interesting to know what “run down” means in his book of law abiding citizen contact
    Is it run down and launched against a wall, run down, and over with a cruiser, run down clubbed and disarmed, run down by the dogs and bite, or run down in order to complement a peaceful citizen for exercising a right?

  19. #19
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    Smart-alecked, like if his retort to the "do you know you've got a gun on your hip" question would have been, "do you know your horse has a d!@k on it?" and then just kept walking away? I'm assuming the cop was on a horse, and not "mounted" as in the two dogs in heat sense of the word.
    did you mount that horse yourself?
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  20. #20
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by amzbrady View Post
    did you mount that horse yourself?
    Sounds to me like the unnatural mounting occurred about 9 months prior to this guy's birth


    ---

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Metalhead47; 11-10-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    Smart-alecked, like if his retort to the "do you know you've got a gun on your hip" question would have been, "do you know your horse has a d!@k on it?" and then just kept walking away?
    Yes. Even, "Yeah, so what? Its a friggin right" might be enough. Some cops have a real domination complex and brook no disrespect. I'm not saying it would have gone south, but if you want to lip a cop, you want to know you are taking your chances. Nevermind that they seem to be allowed to sass, intimidate, and say things to citizens that would get the citizen arrested for disorderly conduct.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    That reminds me of a song:


    Makes more sense if you know some cowboy songs. LOL

    I've never heard that song, but it made me laugh out loud.

    And a question like that from anyone, much less a cop, does tend to lower the bar for future encounters. Perhaps an ominous wave of the hand and 'I'm not the one you're looking for'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •