Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas tree tax? Really?

Campaign Veteran

Christmas tree tax? Really?

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/08/...tmas-tree-tax/

President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

And in doing so kill the small business owner's Christmas tree business. Nice job.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    And in doing so kill the small business owner's Christmas tree business. Nice job.
    Do you honestly believe that a $.15 increase per tree is going to make or break a Christmas Tree business?

It's $.15. Three nickels.

Surely there's something more important to feel outraged over...
    Last edited by LV XD9; 11-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LV XD9 View Post
    Do you honestly believe that a $.15 increase per tree is going to make or break a Christmas Tree business?

I am outraged at the imposition of new taxes... and the apathy of my fellow citizens concerning such.

I certainly hope you are joking. So the government can raise your taxes 15˘ at a time to not get a peep out of you? How many times will it take before they are taking 75% of your money?

We went to war for less than a 1% increase in taxes back in the day, they would not stand for it, and neither will I.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    I am outraged at the imposition of new taxes... and the apathy of my fellow citizens concerning such.
    That makes two of us.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Herr Heckler Koch

Already reversed course. The ship of state is captained by an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I certainly hope you are joking. So the government can raise your taxes 15˘ at a time to not get a peep out of you?
    It's fifteen cents extra for a Christmas Tree. That's all. If they'd just added fifteen cents to the price of the tree, no one would even know the difference. Again, we're talking about a fifteen cent tax on what amounts to a once-a-year-purchase (if that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease
    How many times will it take before they are taking 75% of your money?
    It's amazing how you can leap from a fifteen cent tax on Christmas Trees to the feds taking seventy-five percent of a person's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease
    We went to war for less than a 1% increase in taxes back in the day, they would not stand for it, and neither will I.
    By all means, go to "war" over this "issue." See how that works out for you.

Let's keep some perspective here, huh? Pick your battles, people. Not everything is a crisis. Again, we're talking about three nickels.
    Last edited by LV XD9; 11-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.

As noted, the fee has been delayed and is going to be revisited. Even Obama is not stupid enough to fight the overwhelming backlash on this one.

A tax is a tax, whether it is 15 cents or 15,000 dollars. We certainly don't need any new ones.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Margins are small for businesses like that and volume is low. So any tax can be too much for some people.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Margins are small for businesses like that and volume is low. So any tax can be too much for some people.
    The tax only applies to the businesses that sell more than 500 trees per year, so the really little guys won't be affected. For those that sell more than 500, they simply raise their prices by $.15 and viola - problem solved. It's highly unlikely that a person spending $30-$50 (or more) for a tree is going to quibble over (or even notice) an extra $.15.

Much ado about nothing. Again, pick your battles.

The tax only applies to the businesses that sell more than 500 trees per year, so the really little guys won't be affected. For those that sell more than 500, they simply raise their prices by $.15 and viola - problem solved. It's highly unlikely that a person spending $30-$50 (or more) for a tree is going to quibble over (or even notice) an extra $.15.

Much ado about nothing. Again, pick your battles.
    If the 15 cents is so insignificant then why have it in the first place?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    If the 15 cents is so insignificant then why have it in the first place?
    I'm not advocating for the tax, I'm merely shrugging my shoulders and laughing at those who claim to be outraged over something so minor and insignificant.

Personally, I think it's a pointless and unnecessary tax. I also think there are far more important things to worry about right now than $.15. I think it's funny how easily they can distract some people from the real issues with something this ridiculous.

Herr Heckler Koch
    I'm not advocating for the tax, I'm merely shrugging my shoulders and laughing at those who claim to be outraged over something so minor and insignificant. Personally, I think it's a pointless and unnecessary tax. I also think there are far more important things to worry about right now than $.15. I think it's funny how easily they can distract some people from the real issues with something this ridiculous.
    Some people - statists, progressives, liberals, democrats - have never met a tax that they didn't like. It is the patriotic duty of all Americans to avoid any and all taxes.

I thought they were going to get me for tax evasion for cutting my own christmas tree down this year.....

And if the CT industry wants to promote their image let them do it by themselves. Don't force another seller into something he/she don't want to be in.

(Badger, want to sell 499 or so trees for me?)

Maybe everyone should buy artificial Christmas tree. And not pay the new tax on Christmas trees.

Quote Originally Posted by onestar 50 View Post
    Maybe everyone should buy artificial Christmas tree. And not pay the new tax on Christmas trees.
    That'll fix it, show the gov they can influence us into something by taxing the alternative.....

But artificial trees are ugly.... and a pain to set up....

I agree with LV XD9, it's 15˘. I do not agree with the tax, but I don't see how this is going to kill a small business. They can simply raise the price by a quarter and no one is going to care if anyone even notices. The tax should be bought, but let's try to leave the hyperbole out. If we claim "small businesses will suffer!" everytime something negative happens, even something so small, then it just diminishes that argument.

Just one more year, just one more year, just more more year....
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Around 27,000,000 trees sold last year, so the tax would be around $4,000,000 dollars for the agency. I would take half of that in cash...

http://www.christmastree.org/statistics_consumer.cfm
    RETAIL MARKET VALUE - 2010
    TREE TYPE MEAN AVERAGE DOLLARS SPENT NUMBER PURCHASED RETAIL VALUE ($)
    RealTrees $36.12 27.0 million $976 million
    fake trees $64.61 8.2 million $530 million
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

It's not the .15 cents.....it's the fact a federal bureaucrat can just impose a tax on the American public whenever it wants. We have all kinds of internal taxes, created by a department and implemented on the American public at will. This is the problem! With this administration, or any other one for that matter, the voters should question it/demand retraction until approved by them.

If you don't fight the battles, chances are you will loose the war.

The Christmas tree industry has been working since 2008 — before President Obama was elected — to partner with the Department of Agriculture and establish a marketing campaign funded by tree growers in order to promote the sale of fresh Christmas trees.Far from a tax initiated by the Obama administration, the proposal to create an assessment on tree growers to fund a research and promotion program through the USDA was begun by the industry during the Bush administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    ...Around 27,000,000 trees sold last year, so the tax would be around $4,000,000 dollars for the agency....
    And what will it cost to fund the establishment, administration, and enforcement?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    The Christmas tree industry has been working since 2008 — before President Obama was elected — to partner with the Department of Agriculture and establish a marketing campaign funded by tree growers in order to promote the sale of fresh Christmas trees.Far from a tax initiated by the Obama administration, the proposal to create an assessment on tree growers to fund a research and promotion program through the USDA was begun by the industry during the Bush administration.
    Am I missing the obvious? If the industry wants to market itself, what prevents it from raising its own wholesale prices enough to fund its own marketing drive? Why does the government need to be involved at any level?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Am I missing the obvious? If the industry wants to market itself, what prevents it from raising its own wholesale prices enough to fund its own marketing drive? Why does the government need to be involved at any level?
    Thats what I was thinking. The government needs to stay out of things, it has no right to get into a lot of the things it is in.

It would not bother me one bit if the CT industry adds $.50 to every christmas tree and passes that on to the consumer. But when the government does it, that bothers me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast