• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Christmas tree tax? Really?

Badger Johnson

And in doing so kill the small business owner's Christmas tree business. Nice job.

LV XD9

And in doing so kill the small business owner's Christmas tree business. Nice job.

Do you honestly believe that a $.15 increase per tree is going to make or break a Christmas Tree business?

It's $.15. Three nickels.

Surely there's something more important to feel outraged over...

Last edited:

Griz

Do you honestly believe that a $.15 increase per tree is going to make or break a Christmas Tree business?

I am outraged at the imposition of new taxes... and the apathy of my fellow citizens concerning such.

Baked on Grease

I certainly hope you are joking. So the government can raise your taxes 15¢ at a time to not get a peep out of you? How many times will it take before they are taking 75% of your money?

We went to war for less than a 1% increase in taxes back in the day, they would not stand for it, and neither will I.

Sent using tapatalk

LV XD9

I certainly hope you are joking. So the government can raise your taxes 15¢ at a time to not get a peep out of you?
It's fifteen cents extra for a Christmas Tree. That's all. If they'd just added fifteen cents to the price of the tree, no one would even know the difference. Again, we're talking about a fifteen cent tax on what amounts to a once-a-year-purchase (if that.)
Baked on Grease said:
How many times will it take before they are taking 75% of your money?
It's amazing how you can leap from a fifteen cent tax on Christmas Trees to the feds taking seventy-five percent of a person's income.

Baked on Grease said:
We went to war for less than a 1% increase in taxes back in the day, they would not stand for it, and neither will I.
By all means, go to "war" over this "issue." See how that works out for you. :rolleyes:

Let's keep some perspective here, huh? Pick your battles, people. Not everything is a crisis. Again, we're talking about three nickels.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As noted, the fee has been delayed and is going to be revisited. Even Obama is not stupid enough to fight the overwhelming backlash on this one.

A tax is a tax, whether it is 15 cents or 15,000 dollars. We certainly don't need any new ones.

Badger Johnson

Margins are small for businesses like that and volume is low. So any tax can be too much for some people.

LV XD9

Margins are small for businesses like that and volume is low. So any tax can be too much for some people.

The tax only applies to the businesses that sell more than 500 trees per year, so the really little guys won't be affected. For those that sell more than 500, they simply raise their prices by $.15 and viola - problem solved. It's highly unlikely that a person spending $30-$50 (or more) for a tree is going to quibble over (or even notice) an extra $.15.

Much ado about nothing. Again, pick your battles.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The tax only applies to the businesses that sell more than 500 trees per year, so the really little guys won't be affected. For those that sell more than 500, they simply raise their prices by $.15 and viola - problem solved. It's highly unlikely that a person spending $30-$50 (or more) for a tree is going to quibble over (or even notice) an extra $.15.

Much ado about nothing. Again, pick your battles.

If the 15 cents is so insignificant then why have it in the first place?

LV XD9

If the 15 cents is so insignificant then why have it in the first place?

I'm not advocating for the tax, I'm merely shrugging my shoulders and laughing at those who claim to be outraged over something so minor and insignificant.

Personally, I think it's a pointless and unnecessary tax. I also think there are far more important things to worry about right now than $.15. I think it's funny how easily they can distract some people from the real issues with something this ridiculous.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I'm not advocating for the tax, I'm merely shrugging my shoulders and laughing at those who claim to be outraged over something so minor and insignificant. Personally, I think it's a pointless and unnecessary tax. I also think there are far more important things to worry about right now than $.15. I think it's funny how easily they can distract some people from the real issues with something this ridiculous.
Some people - statists, progressives, liberals, democrats - have never met a tax that they didn't like. It is the patriotic duty of all Americans to avoid any and all taxes.

09jisaac

I thought they were going to get me for tax evasion for cutting my own christmas tree down this year.....

And if the CT industry wants to promote their image let them do it by themselves. Don't force another seller into something he/she don't want to be in.

(Badger, want to sell 499 or so trees for me?)

09jisaac

Maybe everyone should buy artificial Christmas tree. And not pay the new tax on Christmas trees.

That'll fix it, show the gov they can influence us into something by taxing the alternative.....

But artificial trees are ugly.... and a pain to set up....

Jack House

I agree with LV XD9, it's 15¢. I do not agree with the tax, but I don't see how this is going to kill a small business. They can simply raise the price by a quarter and no one is going to care if anyone even notices. The tax should be bought, but let's try to leave the hyperbole out. If we claim "small businesses will suffer!" everytime something negative happens, even something so small, then it just diminishes that argument.