• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skinny guy carry

Rustin

Hello all,
I've been trying to find the ideal holster for my body type to maximize comfort. (6"0, 145 lbs, bony hips:lol:) I am not really looking for concealability though if it's comfortable i am open. I am open to any mode of carry with a preference (though no experience) towards chest carry. Not shoulder carry but center of the chest where the weight of the handgun won't be on one side of me. I usually carry a G19 but my 1911 is something i would rather carry if the holster distributes the weight evenly. I am not the biggest fan of strongside carry because i used to skateboard every day and throw myself down flights of stairs so my lower back (and knees and etc.) are kinda jacked up. i don't mean to sound so picky but i've been struggling to find the right holster and I know that this site has alot of folks with a considerable amount of knowledge about carrying and ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

N605TW

Activist Member
I'm in the same weight and height class as you. I carry in a serpa with the belt attachment. I tend to stay away from paddles because I don't have hips to use them. A well made holster is only one part of the solution, you will also need a well made belt that can distribute the weight.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Are you sure you want to do chest carry? Among other things you are going to look like a mall ninja operator wannabe. And you are going to scare the horses and stampede the women more than any other form of carry, so get ready for MWAG calls regularly.

i used to skateboard every day and throw myself down flights of stairs so my lower back (and knees and etc.) are kinda jacked up.
While a good belt will go far towards helping your back issues, adding a set of suspenders (I especially like Perry brand www.perrysuspenders.com because of the way they clip under your belt as oppposed to gripping it or your pants) will give you even better carry. It's basically LBE for the urban and urbane individual.:lol:

Duluth Trading Company www.duluthtrading.com has sidewinder suspenders that grip at 3 and 9 o'clock, but that may throw off your holster placement and/or your drawstroke.

Any of the on-line cop shops have at least one style of LBE-ish suspenders that attach to the belt to hold up your gear. It just looks like cop gear.

stay safe.

Rustin

Thanks guys I do understand i would look like some wannabe SWAT guy with a chest system but it is about to be winter and i think with the right parka, I could conceal it when i need to otherwise i would just wear it around the house and out hiking. Also I do have a gun belt and a decent de santis holster i use for my glock and i do plan on getting a S&W 642 snub to carry soon but just wanted some options. Really like that duluth trading co., never heard of it before, cool stuff. Thanks for the replies.

carry for myself

heres some options.

Blackhawk serpa. it has many different mounts available. from a tactical thigh rig, to a MOLLE chest rig, horizontal shoulder rig to the stock stronside belt rigs.

Bellyband- FOR CC ONLY. holds the gun wherever you want around your waist, close enough in where you wont feel it.

Any brand of horizontal or vertical shoulder rig. offsets the weight and uses your neck and shoulders to bear the load

you don't have to carry hip only. but i would also advise against a MOLLE rig.......for the mall ninja effect. a nice shoulder rig would look great, scare no one and be comfortable however :-D

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you're thinking about a shoulder rig get a vertical rig rather than a horizontal one. That way folks aren't staring down the barrell of your gun if they are behind you.

I am also tall and skinny. I use a Blackhawk Serpa with the paddle. The paddle is pretty wide and rests against my thigh.

Rustin

Wow I've heard of the Serpa before as a duty holster but had no idea it was so flexible. If anyone can tell me some more info about it I would be grateful, the website is kinda confusing with all the options(level 2, 3, etc.). Do they all come with the paddle or just belt loops or what?Thanks for the replies This is an awesome sight and you guys are the greatest thanks.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Wow I've heard of the Serpa before as a duty holster but had no idea it was so flexible. If anyone can tell me some more info about it I would be grateful, the website is kinda confusing with all the options(level 2, 3, etc.). Do they all come with the paddle or just belt loops or what?Thanks for the replies This is an awesome sight and you guys are the greatest thanks.

Just realize that Blackhawk has three different kinds of Serpa: Conceal, Tactical and Duty. Unless you want level 3 retention, you don't want duty. And unless you plan on getting a thigh rig, you don't want tactical. I think most people get the conceal version, in the CQC variety.

I'm in the market for one myself, because I'm in the same boat as you. Not quite as skinny, 5'9" at 165lbs, but I still consider my hips bony compared to others. I have a suede Vega IB3 IWB holster that I carry at 4 o'clock (too much bone at 3 o'clock). It's fine walking around, but sitting I have to push it around so that it doesn't jut into my chair. It gets worse in my car. I end up having to put it back at 3 with a sharp cant. It's not all that uncomfortable if I get it right, but I know there's a better solution.

I would really love to get a nice countoured leather holster with a thumb break, as I'm sure that would be more comfortable than anything, but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Fallschirjmäger

For the same price as a SERPA (and usually a bit under), take a look at the Safariland 6300 series.
sf6377.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I second the Serpa CQC. Get one. Be happy. I'm 6'4" 175lbs. I use the paddle. At around 9 O'Clock, it's no trouble. I usually walk around 10-11 O'Clock, and just give it a shove when I sit.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

As far as I know, they all come with both a paddle and a belt attachment. There are several other accessories you can buy for it as well if you want to adapt it for winter carry, leg carry, car carry, etc.

kcGlock19

Im the same size as you. I rock a G19 in a fobus paddle holster. Feels great and if I move it more to a 4oclock position it conceals nicely.