Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: GOP Announces: No Power-Sharing with Demos

  1. #1
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    GOP Announces: No Power-Sharing with Demos

    The GOP is famous for being a bunch of Squishes. Enough of that. Time to grow a backbone. Gun owning Virginians should advocate this: no compromising with gun haters.

    It seems the GOP has taken its first baby step:

    Republicans say they won't share power in Senate
    Senate Republican leaders declared this afternoon that they hold the majority in the chamber and that there will be no power sharing with Democrats.

    ...

    Bolling said there will be a Republican majority leader and there will be Republican chairman of key committees in the Senate.

    "That's the way the process works," Bolling said.

    He said he does not think there is any question that he can cast tie-breaking votes, even on parliamentary issues.

    ...

    By casting a vote to organize the Senate, Bolling could ensure Republican chairmen and assign members to legislative committees, which could control the flow of legislation in the upcoming General Assembly session and help enact a conservative agenda that has been largely foiled by the Democratic majority in the last two years.

    Read this:
    GOP Needs To Play Hardball In The New State Senate
    If Bryce Reeve’s 86 vote lead in his race against Edd Houck holds in the 17th Senate Dist. and the GOP ties the Dems with 20 seats each with LG Bill Bolling breaking the tie, they need to come to grips that it is time to play hardball with the Dems because that is what they would do to them if roles were reversed.

    First thing that should go out the window is this concept of “power sharing.” The GOP holds the tie-breaker with Bolling — USE IT! It isn’t enough to have just a “working majority” on the floor with Bolling’s vote. They need to set up the Senate rules and committee assignments for the next session of the General Assembly so that the top Republican on each committee is the undisputed Chairman (if they want to throw the Dems a bone and name their top one Vice Chairman, okay, but that should be more or less ceremonial) and then they should give the GOP a one-seat advantage on each committee. If not and they decide to put equal numbers from each party on committees, then they should give the committee chairmen the power to break any tie votes and send legislation to the floor. IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF GOV. MCDONNELL’S AGENDA.
    I would say: IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF VCDL’S AGENDA.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Excellent!!! Bolling has taken a positive first step!!! Now is the time to start planning a "Sucks to be you Saslaw" party.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Excellent!!! Bolling has taken a positive first step!!! Now is the time to start planning a "Sucks to be you Saslaw" party.
    In't that Lobby Day 2012?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    In't that Lobby Day 2012?

    stay safe.
    No, no, no. Lobby Day is "rub it in Saslaw's face" day. I think we need a big OC gathering with ballons and cake somewhere in his district.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-09-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member altajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    228
    To bad lobby day isn't April 22. We could have banjos show up.

  6. #6
    Regular Member AtackDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    King George, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    214

    Reeves v Houck

    As of 3:14 this afternoon Reeves' lead opened to 224.

    I have to wonder what the difference would be if the NRA hadn't endorsed Saslaw's water boy, Houck.
    This endorsement really makes me wonder why I still hold my membership in such an organization.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by AtackDuck View Post
    As of 3:14 this afternoon Reeves' lead opened to 224.

    I have to wonder what the difference would be if the NRA hadn't endorsed Saslaw's water boy, Houck.
    This endorsement really makes me wonder why I still hold my membership in such an organization.
    Let's take a vote. Who thinks the Dems are going to ask for a recount?

    I personally think they will not. When it was 86 votes, maybe. But now that provisional ballots and such have been counted the lead has more than doubled.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Let's take a vote. Who thinks the Dems are going to ask for a recount?

    I personally think they will not. When it was 86 votes, maybe. But now that provisional ballots and such have been counted the lead has more than doubled.
    I'll take a box of .45 Auto Rim on that. Houck has too much to lose to give up quietly.

    On a personal note, I wonder if he remembers me from when he was an Asst. Principal and I was employed by Spotsy DSS? I think he might still get the shakes if someone reminds him of those good times.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'll take a box of .45 Auto Rim on that. Houck has too much to lose to give up quietly.

    On a personal note, I wonder if he remembers me from when he was an Asst. Principal and I was employed by Spotsy DSS? I think he might still get the shakes if someone reminds him of those good times.

    stay safe.
    I guess it will depend on who has to pay for it as well. Does anyone know the vote number cut-off where the State no longer has to pay for the re-count. I thought it was if the difference is less than 200 votes. I could be and probably am wrong.

    As for the .45 Auto Rim, you have a deal.*

    *You must come to Northern Virginia to claim the prize in person. You may not point at me in a threatening manner while accepting said ammo.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  10. #10
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I guess it will depend on who has to pay for it as well. Does anyone know the vote number cut-off where the State no longer has to pay for the re-count. I thought it was if the difference is less than 200 votes. I could be and probably am wrong.

    As for the .45 Auto Rim, you have a deal.*

    *You must come to Northern Virginia to claim the prize in person. You may not point at me in a threatening manner while accepting said ammo.
    1%. Out of 45,000 some odd votes cast, that works out to anything less than around 450 votes.

    Hard to say if they'll ask. Reports are that both sides have had many witnesses to the re-canvassing of the votes, perhaps if they don't see anything questionable, they won't... but as noted, it's hard to imagine them just giving up. The Franken election comes to mind... where they just kept counting until it came out in their favor.

    TFred

  11. #11
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    1%. Out of 45,000 some odd votes cast, that works out to anything less than around 450 votes.

    Hard to say if they'll ask. Reports are that both sides have had many witnesses to the re-canvassing of the votes, perhaps if they don't see anything questionable, they won't... but as noted, it's hard to imagine them just giving up. The Franken election comes to mind... where they just kept counting until it came out in their favor.

    TFred
    I would think that with a margin as small as this one (~0.5%), the BoE would (should) step in and do their own "validation count". Or perhaps arrange one with an independent 3rd party. JMHO
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Skid, you don't win the ammo. Please try again in two years. Houck conceded today.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96844
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  13. #13
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    If I heard correctly......

    It sounds like Houck has truely conceaded. If I remember the election codes for recount, a candidate may pay for a recount if the margin is within 1%. If the margin is under1/2 of a percent, the state is on the hook for the bill. Indications are that Houck is accepting the results as is.
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 11-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715
    I really want to see the Repubs grow a set. This would be a great time to show the people that the Pubs are a serious party, not just a loosely-knit group of people who caucus together now and then. If Bolling is going to play a strong role, GREAT! Let's make people like Saslaw irrelevant. Let's get rid of the Death Star committees! Bipartisanship is one thing, but "power sharing" between the Dems and Pubs means the Pubs get blindsided by some obscure parliamentary rules and told to stand in the corner until called, while the Dems go on with the process of increasing their power and influence. Screw them! Let's make 2012 "The Year of the VCDL". With the right set of legislative circumstances, we could win on so many fronts that we would seriously increase our national recognition and reputation. We deserve it, and we've waited long enough !!

  15. #15
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    It sounds like Houck has truely conceaded. If I remember the election codes for recount, a candidate may pay for a recount if the margin is within 1%. If the margin is under1/2 of a percent, the state is on the hook for the bill. Indications are that Houck is accepting the results as is.
    I sort of makes one wonder why he yielded so peacfully, after all the rhetoric about "having a long way to go until January".

    Could this "No Power Sharing" stance be a slapdown in retaliation to all those Dems who took Blumberg campaign money? And sending a message to Blumberg for meddling in VA politics?

    Is there a danger that some marginally committed individual will switch sides?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  16. #16
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I sort of makes one wonder why he yielded so peacfully, after all the rhetoric about "having a long way to go until January".

    Could this "No Power Sharing" stance be a slapdown in retaliation to all those Dems who took Blumberg campaign money? And sending a message to Blumberg for meddling in VA politics?

    Is there a danger that some marginally committed individual will switch sides?
    Anything can happen, but in one of the many articles I've read on this situation, there was at least an inference to the fact that the Republican leaders had indeed affirmed that they would all 20 be sticking together.

    When this power sharing thing happened back in the 90s, one of the Senators threatened to switch sides unless the co-leadership thing was put in place.

    TFred

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    The GOP is famous for being a bunch of Squishes. Enough of that. Time to grow a backbone. Gun owning Virginians should advocate this: no compromising with gun haters.

    It seems the GOP has taken its first baby step:

    Republicans say they won't share power in Senate



    Read this:
    GOP Needs To Play Hardball In The New State Senate


    I would say: IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF VCDL’S AGENDA.
    Excellent point. Now is the time to ramrod through every single change, to existing legislation we've always wanted, i.e. fix the loophole that allows counties to require multiple copies of applications, six months proof of residency etc. Fix the loophole that allows the very few counties to still allow fingerprinting -- Arlington County MANDATES that you go to their Sheriff's Dept. to be fingerprinted and nowhere else AND they are only open for fingerprinting two hours a day Mon.-Thurs.!

    This is just the beginning. VCDL needs to get these bills in as soon as possible. And there is no reason not to this year. There can be no "well, we're really not sure whether we can find a sponsor". The Republicans run the show, period. They either fix all this and more or we target them for extinction,in the next election,the same way we did with Jean Marie Devolites-Davis.

  18. #18
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Hey, Dick:

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Anything can happen, but in one of the many articles I've read on this situation, there was at least an inference to the fact that the Republican leaders had indeed affirmed that they would all 20 be sticking together.
    TFred
    Which means the Republicans win and the people of Virginia lose.

    We don't need Republican legislators, or Democrat legislators; we need Virginia legislators.

  20. #20
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Hey, Dick:
    On my way to work this morning I noticed that all of "Dick" Saslaw's campaign signs had been overlayed with signs that said, "Thanks for the Vote! Dick Saslaw.'

    I'm about to adapt and use that old movie line, "Dick, you see that light blinking at the corner of your eye? It's your Senate Chairmanship Dissipation Alarm going into overdrive!"

    Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy!
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 11-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    McDonnell gets 'advice' - don't go "Right Wing"

    Note the alarmist tone in the Times-Dispatch and how they link gun issues to abortion issues:

    McDonnell to govern in a new landscape
    Control of the state Senate is likely to give Gov. Bob McDonnell a freer hand on some of his key initiatives, from his upcoming budget proposal to requiring state workers to pay more toward their pensions.

    What remains to be seen is whether the governor, who hopes to be considered for the No. 2 spot on the 2012 GOP ticket, will go right full rudder and back socially conservative measures that had been blocked in the legislature.

    ...

    Other defeated proposals likely to get a new airing include efforts to declare unborn children persons under Virginia law; to end the state's one-gun-a-month limit on handgun purchases; and to require police to check the immigration status of anyone arrested.

    "This is a chapter that's yet unwritten," Sen. R. Edward Houck, D-Spotsylvania, said Thursday after conceding defeat to Republican Bryce Reeves.

    "We were the backstop to a lot of social conservative legislation that we felt like, and that I feel like, is not quite good for Virginia," Houck said. "It will be interesting to see if that type legislation is now embraced by a Republican-controlled Senate. I would suspect it will be."

    Reeves' win means a 20-20 split in the state Senate. That will give Republicans working control of the chamber because Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, a Republican, can break ties. Republicans will have at least 66 of the 100 seats in the House of Delegates.

    Since the election, McDonnell has cautioned Republicans not to be arrogant and has pledged to emphasize job creation and government reform. He said in a statement that Republican candidates "have focused on providing common-sense solutions to the challenges facing our citizens. And that is how we will govern in the majority."

    ...

    In 1996, the last time the state Senate was split 20-20, the parties shared power, but only because Sen. Virgil H. Goode Jr., of Rocky Mount, then a conservative Democrat, insisted upon a "substantially equitable division" of leadership posts, angering his Democratic colleagues.

    Sen. L. Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, said at the time: "Virgil has gone crazy. He's absolutely lost his mind."

    Fifteen years later, Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, is pleased that Republicans will not share power in the split Senate.

    "The anti-gun Senate leadership has now had their power stripped from them," he told members of the organization in an email Friday.

    He added: "The public has spoken — now to see if the Republican leadership was listening."
    Well gosh, isn't gun defending your right to defend yourself Common Sense?

    Meanwhile, Jeff E. Schapiro whines about the potential for abuse of power -- from the GOP. So, where was Jeffy when Saslaw was being a Dick?

    Lacking votes, Democrats could fight GOP with the law
    The tiebreaking vote of Virginia's de facto 41st senator, Bill Bolling, isn't necessarily an insurance policy for Gov. Bob McDonnell against the antics of out-of-power Democrats. That's because they may have the law on their side. But do they have the guts to find out?

    ...

    The limits of the lieutenant governor's tiebreaking power have not been tested in court. That's where the debate over McDonnell's agenda — and the legacy on which Bolling would run for governor in 2013 — could land, assuming Democrats are willing to risk being branded obstructionists.

    ...

    Having lost the Senate and been reduced to a curiosity in the House, Democrats may have no option but to argue the law — if a judge will listen. If Democrats asked a court to block a budget enacted on Bolling's tiebreaking vote, they would first have to demonstrate "standing" — that somehow they were wronged by Bolling's actions

  22. #22
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    "We were the backstop to a lot of social conservative legislation that we felt like, and that I feel like, is not quite good for Virginia," Houck said. "It will be interesting to see if that type legislation is now embraced by a Republican-controlled Senate. I would suspect it will be."
    Good Grief, this man makes me want to rip my hair out. I am SO glad I was able to vote him OUT of OFFICE.

    The concept of REPRESENTATIVE government is TOTALLY lost on him. Sounds just like Saslaw when he was bragging about their clever idea to stop the bills in the Senate that were surely headed for passage.

    Hey Edd: Here's your sign: "Unemployed, because I ticked off my boss!!"

    TFred

  23. #23
    Regular Member DontTreadOnMeVa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132

    Wet blanket...

    I had my excitement checked today.

    I was speaking with a representative today and mentioned being hopeful because of the power shift in the senate. I expressed my hope that the senate would not be the place good pro gun rights bills went to die in committee now. His response was a snort and a 'don't be so sure of that the senate would do under republican rule'. "I hope you guys are working the senate hard", was his advice.

    Lets not assume that things will now just happen the way we want just because of the power shift in the senate! Sadly, I think he is right...

  24. #24
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMeVa View Post
    I had my excitement checked today.

    I was speaking with a representative today and mentioned being hopeful because of the power shift in the senate. I expressed my hope that the senate would not be the place good pro gun rights bills went to die in committee now. His response was a snort and a 'don't be so sure of that the senate would do under republican rule'. "I hope you guys are working the senate hard", was his advice.

    Lets not assume that things will now just happen the way we want just because of the power shift in the senate! Sadly, I think he is right...
    Good point and right on the money. There is little real difference between the two, the Dems are just louder.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Good point and right on the money. There is little real difference between the two, the Dems are just louder.
    Schapiro makes the same point in discussing Tommy Norment:
    Tommy Norment, a James City County litigator with a weakness for strongly colored shirts and ties, is expected to be named majority leader — a selection Republicans are prepared to back up with the disputed tie-breaking vote of Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling.

    Norment's ascent is not unexpected and is likely to be by acclamation, though that can't conceal fissures within a GOP caucus riven by philosophical and personality disputes that seem more middle-school cafeteria than Mr. Jefferson's Capitol.

    Norment, the party's floor leader since 2008 and among 15 GOP senators who backed Democratic Gov. Mark Warner on $1.4 billion in new taxes in 2004, was lining up commitments from Republicans before some were elected.

    ...

    Norment is in line to take over Courts, giving him sway over judges and prosecutors -- [and gun bills].

    Tommy Norment - Mr. Gun Rights?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •