• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOP Announces: No Power-Sharing with Demos

Repeater

The GOP is famous for being a bunch of Squishes. Enough of that. Time to grow a backbone. Gun owning Virginians should advocate this: no compromising with gun haters.

It seems the GOP has taken its first baby step:

Republicans say they won't share power in Senate
Senate Republican leaders declared this afternoon that they hold the majority in the chamber and that there will be no power sharing with Democrats.

Bolling said there will be a Republican majority leader and there will be Republican chairman of key committees in the Senate.

"That's the way the process works," Bolling said.

He said he does not think there is any question that he can cast tie-breaking votes, even on parliamentary issues.

By casting a vote to organize the Senate, Bolling could ensure Republican chairmen and assign members to legislative committees, which could control the flow of legislation in the upcoming General Assembly session and help enact a conservative agenda that has been largely foiled by the Democratic majority in the last two years.

Read this:
GOP Needs To Play Hardball In The New State Senate
If Bryce Reeve’s 86 vote lead in his race against Edd Houck holds in the 17th Senate Dist. and the GOP ties the Dems with 20 seats each with LG Bill Bolling breaking the tie, they need to come to grips that it is time to play hardball with the Dems because that is what they would do to them if roles were reversed.

First thing that should go out the window is this concept of “power sharing.” The GOP holds the tie-breaker with Bolling — USE IT! It isn’t enough to have just a “working majority” on the floor with Bolling’s vote. They need to set up the Senate rules and committee assignments for the next session of the General Assembly so that the top Republican on each committee is the undisputed Chairman (if they want to throw the Dems a bone and name their top one Vice Chairman, okay, but that should be more or less ceremonial) and then they should give the GOP a one-seat advantage on each committee. If not and they decide to put equal numbers from each party on committees, then they should give the committee chairmen the power to break any tie votes and send legislation to the floor. IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF GOV. MCDONNELL’S AGENDA.

I would say: IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF VCDL’S AGENDA.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Excellent!!! Bolling has taken a positive first step!!! Now is the time to start planning a "Sucks to be you Saslaw" party.

AtackDuck

Reeves v Houck

As of 3:14 this afternoon Reeves' lead opened to 224.

I have to wonder what the difference would be if the NRA hadn't endorsed Saslaw's water boy, Houck.
This endorsement really makes me wonder why I still hold my membership in such an organization.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As of 3:14 this afternoon Reeves' lead opened to 224.

I have to wonder what the difference would be if the NRA hadn't endorsed Saslaw's water boy, Houck.
This endorsement really makes me wonder why I still hold my membership in such an organization.

Let's take a vote. Who thinks the Dems are going to ask for a recount?

I personally think they will not. When it was 86 votes, maybe. But now that provisional ballots and such have been counted the lead has more than doubled.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let's take a vote. Who thinks the Dems are going to ask for a recount?

I personally think they will not. When it was 86 votes, maybe. But now that provisional ballots and such have been counted the lead has more than doubled.

I'll take a box of .45 Auto Rim on that. Houck has too much to lose to give up quietly.

On a personal note, I wonder if he remembers me from when he was an Asst. Principal and I was employed by Spotsy DSS? I think he might still get the shakes if someone reminds him of those good times.:uhoh:

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'll take a box of .45 Auto Rim on that. Houck has too much to lose to give up quietly.

On a personal note, I wonder if he remembers me from when he was an Asst. Principal and I was employed by Spotsy DSS? I think he might still get the shakes if someone reminds him of those good times.:uhoh:

stay safe.

I guess it will depend on who has to pay for it as well. Does anyone know the vote number cut-off where the State no longer has to pay for the re-count. I thought it was if the difference is less than 200 votes. I could be and probably am wrong.

As for the .45 Auto Rim, you have a deal.*

*You must come to Northern Virginia to claim the prize in person. You may not point at me in a threatening manner while accepting said ammo.

TFred

I guess it will depend on who has to pay for it as well. Does anyone know the vote number cut-off where the State no longer has to pay for the re-count. I thought it was if the difference is less than 200 votes. I could be and probably am wrong.

As for the .45 Auto Rim, you have a deal.*

*You must come to Northern Virginia to claim the prize in person. You may not point at me in a threatening manner while accepting said ammo.
1%. Out of 45,000 some odd votes cast, that works out to anything less than around 450 votes.

Hard to say if they'll ask. Reports are that both sides have had many witnesses to the re-canvassing of the votes, perhaps if they don't see anything questionable, they won't... but as noted, it's hard to imagine them just giving up. The Franken election comes to mind... where they just kept counting until it came out in their favor.

TFred

2a4all

1%. Out of 45,000 some odd votes cast, that works out to anything less than around 450 votes.

Hard to say if they'll ask. Reports are that both sides have had many witnesses to the re-canvassing of the votes, perhaps if they don't see anything questionable, they won't... but as noted, it's hard to imagine them just giving up. The Franken election comes to mind... where they just kept counting until it came out in their favor.

TFred
I would think that with a margin as small as this one (~0.5%), the BoE would (should) step in and do their own "validation count". Or perhaps arrange one with an independent 3rd party. JMHO

The Wolfhound

If I heard correctly......

It sounds like Houck has truely conceaded. If I remember the election codes for recount, a candidate may pay for a recount if the margin is within 1%. If the margin is under1/2 of a percent, the state is on the hook for the bill. Indications are that Houck is accepting the results as is.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I really want to see the Repubs grow a set. This would be a great time to show the people that the Pubs are a serious party, not just a loosely-knit group of people who caucus together now and then. If Bolling is going to play a strong role, GREAT! Let's make people like Saslaw irrelevant. Let's get rid of the Death Star committees! Bipartisanship is one thing, but "power sharing" between the Dems and Pubs means the Pubs get blindsided by some obscure parliamentary rules and told to stand in the corner until called, while the Dems go on with the process of increasing their power and influence. Screw them! Let's make 2012 "The Year of the VCDL". With the right set of legislative circumstances, we could win on so many fronts that we would seriously increase our national recognition and reputation. We deserve it, and we've waited long enough !!

2a4all

It sounds like Houck has truely conceaded. If I remember the election codes for recount, a candidate may pay for a recount if the margin is within 1%. If the margin is under1/2 of a percent, the state is on the hook for the bill. Indications are that Houck is accepting the results as is.
I sort of makes one wonder why he yielded so peacfully, after all the rhetoric about "having a long way to go until January".

Could this "No Power Sharing" stance be a slapdown in retaliation to all those Dems who took Blumberg campaign money? And sending a message to Blumberg for meddling in VA politics?

Is there a danger that some marginally committed individual will switch sides?

TFred

I sort of makes one wonder why he yielded so peacfully, after all the rhetoric about "having a long way to go until January".

Could this "No Power Sharing" stance be a slapdown in retaliation to all those Dems who took Blumberg campaign money? And sending a message to Blumberg for meddling in VA politics?

Is there a danger that some marginally committed individual will switch sides?
Anything can happen, but in one of the many articles I've read on this situation, there was at least an inference to the fact that the Republican leaders had indeed affirmed that they would all 20 be sticking together.

When this power sharing thing happened back in the 90s, one of the Senators threatened to switch sides unless the co-leadership thing was put in place.

TFred

Vanns40

The GOP is famous for being a bunch of Squishes. Enough of that. Time to grow a backbone. Gun owning Virginians should advocate this: no compromising with gun haters.

It seems the GOP has taken its first baby step:

Republicans say they won't share power in Senate

Read this:
GOP Needs To Play Hardball In The New State Senate

I would say: IT IS TIME TO STOP THE SENATE FROM BECOMING THE GRAVEYARD OF VCDL’S AGENDA.

Excellent point. Now is the time to ramrod through every single change, to existing legislation we've always wanted, i.e. fix the loophole that allows counties to require multiple copies of applications, six months proof of residency etc. Fix the loophole that allows the very few counties to still allow fingerprinting -- Arlington County MANDATES that you go to their Sheriff's Dept. to be fingerprinted and nowhere else AND they are only open for fingerprinting two hours a day Mon.-Thurs.!

This is just the beginning. VCDL needs to get these bills in as soon as possible. And there is no reason not to this year. There can be no "well, we're really not sure whether we can find a sponsor". The Republicans run the show, period. They either fix all this and more or we target them for extinction,in the next election,the same way we did with Jean Marie Devolites-Davis.

zoom6zoom

Hey, Dick:
death-star-explosion_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Anything can happen, but in one of the many articles I've read on this situation, there was at least an inference to the fact that the Republican leaders had indeed affirmed that they would all 20 be sticking together.
TFred

Which means the Republicans win and the people of Virginia lose.

We don't need Republican legislators, or Democrat legislators; we need Virginia legislators.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Hey, Dick:
death-star-explosion_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

On my way to work this morning I noticed that all of "Dick" Saslaw's campaign signs had been overlayed with signs that said, "Thanks for the Vote! Dick Saslaw.'

I'm about to adapt and use that old movie line, "Dick, you see that light blinking at the corner of your eye? It's your Senate Chairmanship Dissipation Alarm going into overdrive!"

Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy!

Last edited: