• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old OC robbery

carracer

So, I'm having a forum discussion about opencarry being a deterrent not a target and the subject of the Wisconsin OCer frobbed of his sidearm. What facts do we know about that? I found a few threads but nothing useful.

BROKENSPROKET

My personal opinion, which is admittly void of solid facts, is that this story was staged to put pressure on the Legislature to gives us the option to coneal. That is just my humble, unknowledgealbe opinion.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AaronS

As I understand, the man in question carried his gun unloaded (still think you might have the time to rack the slide?).
As I understand, the bad man told the victim that he was going to try to take his gun over a week before it happened.
As I understand, the victim now carries with "one in the tube".
Thank God he did not die...

I feel I have to add that I do not understand all things, and have been shown to be wrong from time to time...

I do think an e-mail to Wisconsin Carry should answer your questions.

Badger Johnson

People trying to uncover a FOIA of the event have been unsuccessful, according to what I read. Incident likely staged.

BROKENSPROKET

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.
:confused:

Jason in WI

All I know is after that incident, allot of us started carrying one in the chamber. I know up until that point I'd only go condition one if I was going to be in someplace for a while, mainly to load quick and not scare passer-bys plus the dance was a pain. After that happened I chambered a round every single time I holstered my firearm, I got over my shyness about scaring the public real quick.

Staged? You guys need to loosen the tin foil :shocker:

Well I hope it wasn't staged, I donated some cash so he could get another one :uhoh:. Well it was a very small amount because I was broke at the time, heck I'm still broke :cry:

Oh yea back to the original question, from what I know it was not a gun grab, it was a theft just like someone would rob you at gun point for your Ipod or wallet. To my knowledge there has never been a real gun grab.

Edited to add:

Like Aaron posted, apparently the guy that got robbed had dealings with the robber in the past, I didn't pay attention but I think there was more then just that encounter. Also the news reported the guy would hang around the neighborhood carrying his firearm and everybody knew him so I think his spidey senses were down or just screwed up from the start.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Poor situational awareness....................

The guy lived in a rough part of the city, he stuck out like a turd in a punchbowl. The other residents thought he was trying to prove something, and one of them got the best of him.
My carry gun is black and olive-drab, I mainly wear all black and use a black holster so my sidearm blends and is not as noticeable. I am guessing this guy had a big chromed 1911 worn very prominently and it got the attention of the wrong people.