Thread: Maine now recognizes Michigan's permit

Maine now recognizes Michigan's permit

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-...0639--,00.html

Michiganians can now carry in Maine on their Michigan CPLs. I know there was someone on here who was saying a reason they don't visit Maine is because they won't recognize Michigan's permit.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

When did all this start?

Good news though!

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    When did all this start?

Good news though!
    My understanding is Michigan signed the agreement about a month ago and Maine signed it a couple days ago. Michigan's permit is now recognized in every state that recognizes other states permits. So pretty much you can't be in a state with better recognition.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-...0639--,00.html

Michiganians can now carry in Maine on their Michigan CPLs. I know there was someone on here who was saying a reason they don't visit Maine is because they won't recognize Michigan's permit.
    that would be me. I've long wanted to go camping in northern Maine, but refuse to go without a firearm for obvious reasons. Now I can. Great news.

Now the next question... can I OC there?
    Last edited by malignity; 11-09-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    that would be me. I've long wanted to go camping in northern Maine, but refuse to go without a firearm for obvious reasons. Now I can. Great news.

Now the next question... can I OC there?
    Maine is an OC state. You know you can get a non-resident Maine permit? Pretty easy to get, MI won't issue me one but Maine had no problem. Just fill out the app, send in a check for $60, and proof you took some sort of firearm safety class (your CPL class) and you should have it in about 90 days.

I sent an email to the MI AG a few months back (or seeing how it's already winter, could have been back in May), asking him to pursue a reciprocity agreement with Maine, and included relevant links to other states websites that Maine had reciprocity with, that had requirements much less stringent than what MI has.
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I sent an email to the MI AG a few months back (or seeing how it's already winter, could have been back in May), asking him to pursue a reciprocity agreement with Maine, and included relevant links to other states websites that Maine had reciprocity with, that had requirements much less stringent than what MI has.
    Yeah there was no reason for them to not to our permit is def harder to get. They don't require fingerprints and min age is 18.

Maine still has to update their site
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Michigan's permit is still legally recognized whether they put it on their website or not.

About 2 yeras ago I called the head of the Maine State Police and left a message asking why Michigan CPL holders could not carry concealed in Maine. About an hour later I received a call back from the "Colonel" himself (can't remember his name right now). Basically, he said that Michigan's requirements were fine but that they (Michigan) would not sign a reciprocity agreement with Maine as required by Maine law. I then called the AG office and talked to a representative there who told me they would sign an agreement...as they had with other states. I then called the Colonel once again, and he once again returned my call and I spoke with him directly. I gave him the contact infornation at the AG's office and he said he would contact them.

I didn't hear anything about it until this past September when Gary Slider at Handgunlaw.us posted that he had it from reliable sources that Michigan and Maine were working on an agreement. I was hoping this would come through. I believe that, with Maine accepting our CPL, we are now the "most accepted" state license... but I have not verified that. YEAH!!
    Last edited by DrTodd; 11-13-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

If you want "proof", besides the Michigan AG just saying Maine now recognizes Michigan CPL, I posted the following link:

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/doc_pdf/main_reciprocity.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    About 2 yeras ago I called the head of the Maine State Police and left a message asking why Michigan CPL holders could not carry concealed in Maine. About an hour later I received a call back from the "Colonel" himself (can't remember his name right now). Basically, he said that Michigan's requirements were fine but that they (Michigan) would not sign a reciprocity agreement with Maine as required by Maine law. I then called the AG office and talked to a representative there who told me they would sign an agreement...as they had with other states. I then called the Colonel once again, and he once again returned my call and I spoke with him directly. I gave him the contact infornation at the AG's office and he said he would contact them.

I didn't hear anything about it until this past September when Gary Slider at Handgunlaw.us posted that he had it from reliable sources that Michigan and Maine were working on an agreement. I was hoping this would come through. I believe that, with Maine accepting our CPL, we are now the "most accepted" state license... but I have not verified that. YEAH!!
    If were are not the single best we are tied because the only states that don't recognize ours don't recognize any other states permits.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If you want "proof", besides the Michigan AG just saying Maine now recognizes Michigan CPL, I posted the following link:

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/doc_pdf/main_reciprocity.pdf

I wasn't looking for "proof"...just pointing out that not all the websites were updated yet.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

I wasn't looking for "proof"...just pointing out that not all the websites were updated yet.
    The "you" to whom I was referring was "readers in general". My point in posting was that IF anyone is traveling to Maine and they don't have the addition of Michigan on their website, having a copy of the agreement might make the trip a little more comfortable. In no way was I trying to imply that you specifically didn't believe it.