• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA-ILA Grassroots Workshop, Nov 19, 2011

varminter22

NRA-ILA Vegas Grassroots Event_Stoneys_sm.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'll be there with my usual red NRA Instructor polo, and a 1911 on my hip. I look forward to meeting any of you who can make it.

28kfps

Cannot believe my scheduling. I had a limited choice of days to renew my CCW and this Saturday is it. Would have love to been there showing OC support.

28kfps

Had my days goofed up I will be there. Just registered. The Big Guy I believe I may have seen you in some of the BBQ pictures. I am guessing you were the big guy I saw in the pictures correct? I am really good at this aren’t I?
I will be watching for you and Sabatage.

The Big Guy

Had my days goofed up I will be there. Just registered. The Big Guy I believe I may have seen you in some of the BBQ pictures. I am guessing you were the big guy I saw in the pictures correct? I am really good at this aren’t I?
I will be watching for you and Sabatage.

Yeh, I'm kinda hard to miss.

TBG

28kfps

There is five of us so far. The Stoneys security did stop us at the door. They started getting on the phone making calls we said that is why they moved it from Sliverton to here the one said to the outher let them in for now.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They stopped you at the door? I was among the first group of guys waiting since 1230 for the doors to open, and came in with no problems.

28kfps

They stopped you at the door? I was among the first group of guys waiting since 1230 for the doors to open, and came in with no problems.

Yep stopped us at the door, the big guy, his wife, Sabotage70, another OCer sorry cannot remember your posting name motor something and myself were stopped at the door for a short time and they were franticly making phone calls trying to find out for sure if OCers were allowed.

One of them said to the other let them in for now. Just like so many business the first line workers are not informed on their rules they are to enforce and left to their own guess as to what they are to do.

We did end up with 6 OCers; Looked to be may be 200 hundred all together. One of the speakers later did say they had originally scheduled this event at another location (cannot remember if he said Silverton) however moved it to Stoney’s which would allow open carry. Got a big positive reaction from most.

AmbushBug

He actually said "Station" but he moved on without pause and the opportunity for some random audience person to correct him was missed. Audience wasn't much into interaction, except for the fellow up front who looked like he maybe could've carried the meeting himself with his microphone skills.

I signed up for NVFAC when I got home; they didn't appear to have facilities for taking a credit card there.

I was amused when one audience member noted his annoyance with not being able to open carry in certain local gunstores due to their policies (as a partial rebuttal to the "no gun store is anti-gun" comments), when the well-known proprietor of one of those gunstores he mentioned by name was in attendance, heh heh. Anyway, the ensuing commentary about supremacy of private establishments' policies vs. the remedy of 'voting with your wallet' was expounded upon to effect.

28kfps

A few things I can remember they talked about. The NRA is really pushing for a full investigation on the fast and furious issue. It was said that Americans are being killed by guns the BATFE sold the Mexican drug cartel. The NRA also is pushing new laws to stop it from ever happening again.

They talked about the National Right to Carry Reciprocity said the Sheriff Gillespie and the Las Vegas Mayor are opposed. It was suggested to send them letters and e-mails asking them to support it.

Campus carry was talked about how it was a done deal until William Horn prevented it from being voted on. We were encouraged to remember William Horn during the next election.

The North Las Vegas Lawsuit is ongoing over the preemptive law. They were looking for anyone that had received a citation for legally carrying a firearm in North Las Vegas.

Something was said about the Castel Doctrine for Nevada. I believe it was said they are still trying to get it through the system.

There was some talk about the dislike for the blue card. I believe it was one of the topics the new State NRA will be looking at.

There was a lot of encouragement to join or belong to the NRA and to Join and support the new Nevada Firearms Coalition www.nvfac.org.

Sorry, for a vague report maybe others can add to or correct what I may have wrong.

28kfps

He actually said "Station" but he moved on without pause and the opportunity for some random audience person to correct him was missed. Audience wasn't much into interaction, except for the fellow up front who looked like he maybe could've carried the meeting himself with his microphone skills.

I signed up for NVFAC when I got home; they didn't appear to have facilities for taking a credit card there.

I was amused when one audience member noted his annoyance with not being able to open carry in certain local gunstores due to their policies (as a partial rebuttal to the "no gun store is anti-gun" comments), when the well-known proprietor of one of those gunstores he mentioned by name was in attendance, heh heh. Anyway, the ensuing commentary about supremacy of private establishments' policies vs. the remedy of 'voting with your wallet' was expounded upon to effect.

I can assure you the person that mentions the store was aware of the possibility of the owner attending.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Most of what was said at the meeting has been covered here. I just wanted to make a couple of observations. The guy running the show did a pretty good job however he obviously does not like any questions that call into question anything that was said in the presentation. On 3 separate questions he seemed to be upset that anyone dare question him or the NRA stance.

One fellow across the room tried to get an answer, very politely and earnestly put, as to why the NRA supports H.R. 822 with its obvious flaws as opposed to H.R. 2900 which addresses those flaws. His answer was abrupt with "the NRA supports 822". And then tried to move on. The questioner again asked him to expound on it and he, the MC, was visibly upset about it. This was a question that I had planned to ask too. The AZ Lobbyist stepped in to try to give some detail to the NRA stance. Stating that the NRA goes for percentages. They figure a 95% win is better than nothing.

When 28kfps brought up that not all gun stores are 2nd amendment friendly as stated by the MC, I think his name was "Jacob", that they will not allow carry in their stores, again the MC got confrontational. I was hoping Bob Irwin of The Gun Store, VP of NV Firearms Association, would comment but he was silent on the matter. It was finally decided that if that is the case, we should use our dollars to show them the errors of their ways.

In the presentation they were urging us to get involved with elections and get 2nd amendment candidates elected. They erroneously showed on the screen that we are a "Primary" state. I have a strong interest in getting people to participate, and mentioned that we do not hold a primary but are a caucus state. I urged those in attendance to get registered so they could participate in the process by attending their caucus and help to decide who we want to run against Obama. The MC sharply stated that the information they had came from a Nevada state government official, to which there were moans from the audience.

All in all it was an interesting presentation. Don Turner gave us an update on the new state association which was well received. I Talked with Don after the show and got an update on signups. Folks, it is a little lacking. Everyone needs to toss in their $25 and become a member. The association is planning some great actions on our behalf. They need numbers. They have to be able to go in and say they represent a large block of voters, this is imperative. They are going after Clark Co Blue card registration and that alone is worth the $25.00. There are many fights that we are better off fighting as an united group. Get involved.

Tom Collins talked about the campus carry bill and how Assm. Horne kept it from going to the floor for a vote. It was his daughter that was brutally raped at UNR. We were assured by the NRA state Liaison Carolyn Herbertson that this will be top priority during the next session. She also mentioned to me when I talked with her after the meeting that Constitutional Carry is also moving into a top priority spot. These are two very important issues to gun owners. We also talked about the NLV action and she stated that they are looking for a good candidate to support a lawsuit against their city ordinance. I also discussed some of my problems with the NRA and how it is unresponsive to its membership. We both agreed that this is why the new State Association is so important to us here in NV. It is small enough to hear our opinions and needs, and has the ear of the NRA with the ability to get them involved in issues important to us here in NV.

I did a head count when the meeting began and came up with just over 100 people. A sad showing. The other thing I noticed was the lack of younger people. Most of us there were us old and getting old folks. Younger people need to get involved, your input is important. Make the time to get with the program.

TBG

Last edited: