• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA-ILA Grassroots Workshop, Nov 19, 2011

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They weren't very good at answering the questions. But not because the answer was necessarily bad. They just weren't good at fielding them.

For example, the HR822 v the other one. Here is what he should have said: "Yes, sir, that is a great bill and does address some things we would like to see. But we are a limited organization that must pick our battles. After much debate and thought, we are choosing HR822 and will give it our full support to see it pass. We hope one day soon to also address the remaining concerns addressed by the other bill."

I think he was also visibly annoyed at the quality of some of the questions/comments. Some of them just wanted to rant.

It was noted there are 36,000 NRA members in NV. Do you think we would have any pull with the NRA if all 36,000 joined the NFAC (NV Firearms Coalition)? Hell yes! I hope everyone of you do. And if you aren't an NRA member, please join! THEY ARE MOST CERTAINLY NOT A PERFECT organization, and they sometimes must pick their battles. Sometimes it's not the battle we wanted at the moment, but there is no question they are making great progress for all of us overall. And don't forget all the safety and training they do outside of their legal activities.

I joined the NFAC. Please join us. One box of ammo. This is their first year and they just got started. Please don't wait to see if they are going to be a big player before deciding to join. If you all join now, they WILL BE a big player.

AmbushBug

For example, the HR822 v the other one. Here is what he should have said: "Yes, sir, that is a great bill and does address some things we would like to see. But we are a limited organization that must pick our battles. After much debate and thought, we are choosing HR822 and will give it our full support to see it pass. We hope one day soon to also address the remaining concerns addressed by the other bill."

Yes. That was HR2900. I looked it up and the big difference between it and HR822 seems to be that for residents of constitutional-carry states who can carry concealed in their state legally w/o permit, no permit would be required anywhere else.

But, 822 is the anointed one, so that's the one being pushed; way too late (and inadvisable) to switch gears to an unpassed HR for such a small provision. If a senate version should pass, best to work to add such a provision to the joint bill which eventually is presented for signing.

Despite all the "Obama's gonna take your guns" rhetoric in evidence, so far any such efforts which may have been made to that end seem to me to have had little overt effect. A brazen bill like this would be a 'come to Jesus' moment for the executive branch, if it's not bundled by congress into some other omnibus stalking-horse stink-bill package just to provide an alternate excuse for a veto ...

wrightme

Yes. That was HR2900. I looked it up and the big difference between it and HR822 seems to be that for residents of constitutional-carry states who can carry concealed in their state legally w/o permit, no permit would be required anywhere else..

I would guess that such provision, no matter how beneficial for those residents of constitutional states, would be too unpalatable for the reps of the other states to swallow.

I cannot see 2900 going beyond committee. Not what I prefer, but that IS the reality that I see.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Here is something else that was discussed, and I am very much in favor of this.

As many of you know, Ass. William Horne refused to allow the Campus Carry bill to be voted upon, even though it was supported by the majority. The bill died as a result. He even knew of Amanda Collins' case, and still refused to allow the state lawmakers to do their job and decide by vote if this should be law.

Here is something that every one of us can do. Write to the UNLV (or CCSN or UNR) president and ask him for permission to carry on his respective campus. Describe your qualifications for your desire to do so: potential student, would like to use the library or attend a sporting event, etc. Mention your other firearm certifications, if any. Get it on record that you have asked for permission and received a letter of denial. Then send both your letter and the reply to the NV Firearms Coalition.

Assuming Ass. Horne doesn't go down in flames in the next election, Campus Carry will not go quietly into that dark night like Amanda Collins and her classmates, one of whom was murdered by the same man she was denied the ability to defend herself against.

http://president.unlv.edu/president/contact
http://www.unr.edu/president

http://www.nvfac.org/contact-us.html

Last edited:

varminter22

Here is something else that was discussed, and I am very much in favor of this.

As many of you know, Ass. William Horne refused to allow the Campus Carry bill to be voted upon, even though it was supported by the majority. The bill died as a result. He even knew of Amanda Collins' case, and still refused to allow the state lawmakers to do their job and decide by vote if this should be law.

Here is something that every one of us can do. Write to the UNLV (or CCSN or UNR) president and ask him for permission to carry on his respective campus. Describe your qualifications for your desire to do so: potential student, would like to use the library or attend a sporting event, etc. Mention your other firearm certifications, if any. Get it on record that you have asked for permission and received a letter of denial. Then send both your letter and the reply to the NV Firearms Coalition.

Assuming Ass. Horne doesn't go down in flames in the next election, Campus Carry will not go quietly into that dark night like Amanda Collins and her classmates, one of whom was murdered by the same man she was denied the ability to defend herself against.

http://president.unlv.edu/president/contact
http://www.unr.edu/president

http://www.nvfac.org/contact-us.html

Thanks, MAC. I've been saying the same thing for some years.

Having been denied permission to CCW on UNR (twice), my last letter:
July 31, 2011

Dr Marc Johnson
Interim President
University of Nevada, Reno/001
Reno NV
89557-0061

Dear Dr. Johnson,

I received you letter denying me permission to lawfully carry my concealed firearm on the UNR Campus in accordance with Nevada law.

I must say I am astounded by your remarks.

In my October 5, 2007 letter to Dr Milton Glick, I stated In view of your current policy, you will effectively have the blood of innocent victims on your hands in the event such a crime would occur at UNR.”

Sadly, my statement above turned out to be prophetic as shortly thereafter, on October 22, 2007, UNR student Amanda Collins was brutally assaulted and raped at gunpoint.

By continuing to follow the late Glick’s policy of virtually total denial, you too have the blood of innocent victims upon your hands.

Government statistics and credible private studies show that lawful carry of a concealed firearm actually reduces crime. Also, consider the fact that our neighboring great state of Utah does not prohibit concealed firearm permittees from carrying on campus and has experienced no adverse effects.

Nevada is not immune to such horrors that have occurred at many colleges across the nation. I urge you to get the facts and reconsider your policy. CCW permittees undergo an extensive vetting process and are among the most conscientious of law-abiding citizens.

The 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 4th, and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendments apply on campus. Why not the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment?
There should be 50,000 Nevada CCW permittees' letters sitting on every college president's desk.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I just mailed my three letters to UNLV, UNR, and the local CSN presidents. I suspect I may be as "qualified" as it gets for someone with no political connections. My denial should have some weight next legislative session. But I would prefer to see it buried among 50,000 denials. Please, if you haven't written your letters, do it tonight!

BTW, is open carry allowed on campuses, or I'm ASSuming it also requires the same written permission?

Vegassteve

I wonder why the NRA ILA grassroots guy does not ever post over here? He posts news and updates on NV shooters, yet not here. He knows we are here and has been invited.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I just mailed my three letters to UNLV, UNR, and the local CSN presidents. I suspect I may be as "qualified" as it gets for someone with no political connections. My denial should have some weight next legislative session. But I would prefer to see it buried among 50,000 denials. Please, if you haven't written your letters, do it tonight!

30 days now with no reply. That, too, will lend weight to the issue.