Thread: For the Veterans out there 11/11/11

For the Veterans out there 11/11/11

Here is a list of freebies or discounts for Military/Veterans:

http://militaryadvantage.military.co...freebies-2012/

I will be at the Lacey Applebees Friday at 6pm having a free OC dinner with a fellow veteran.

God Bless America!

Also, veterans remember we can still salute the flag!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post

Also, veterans remember we can still salute the flag!
    Yes, we can!

And it is a high honor to be able to do so.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

I was told yesterday that I wasn't a "real veteran" and do not qualify for any veteran assistance, by two different organizations no less. The back story is that I am unemployed and trying to make ends meet right now, so I contacted a veterans assistance program to see if I could get some help and they said that all the assistance they have is earmarked for "real veterans" that served in Iraq or Afghanistan and that I don't qualify. So sorry...

The interesting part is two different organizations used the exact same terminology, of being a "real veteran" which I found odd. Seems like there has been such a huge deal made out of helping the returning war veterans, that they have forgotten about the rest of us that were not over there, but acting in a support capacity or fighting something entirely different. I get focusing on the returning vets they went through a lot over there, but there are a lot of us that weren't over there that are hurting as well... Either way it sucks...
    Last edited by MadHatter66; 11-10-2011 at 12:41 AM.

My family and myself will be visiting the Cathcart Applebees on that day.

Here is another site to check for companies participating in Veterans Day
    http://themilitarywallet.com/veteran...#axzz1dGhLCLRf

I would like to offer my gratitude to all veterans who serve before, while and after I served our country.

Thank You.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

I would like to offer my gratitude to all veterans who serve before, while and after I served our country.

Thank You.

Copy that! And second the emotion.

Thanks guys and gals!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter66 View Post
    I was told yesterday that I wasn't a "real veteran" and do not qualify for any veteran assistance, by two different organizations no less. The back story is that I am unemployed and trying to make ends meet right now, so I contacted a veterans assistance program to see if I could get some help and they said that all the assistance they have is earmarked for "real veterans" that served in Iraq or Afghanistan and that I don't qualify. So sorry...

The interesting part is two different organizations used the exact same terminology, of being a "real veteran" which I found odd. Seems like there has been such a huge deal made out of helping the returning war veterans, that they have forgotten about the rest of us that were not over there, but acting in a support capacity or fighting something entirely different. I get focusing on the returning vets they went through a lot over there, but there are a lot of us that weren't over there that are hurting as well... Either way it sucks...
    Yea I got alot of that when I got home too. Since I wasn't Vietnam vet, I didn't matter. Guess news coverage for what you did is where the money goes, smaller conflicts don't count.

Funny, couldnt get a ride from the airport either, class A, jump boots and beret. No takers for a hitch hiker, but a lot of "we support our troops" bumper stickers flying by.

I will be at the apple bees on 72nd st in tacoma if anyone wants to join me, for lunch, around noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky508 View Post
    Yea I got alot of that when I got home too.

Funny, couldnt get a ride from the airport either, class A, jump boots and beret. No takers for a hitch hiker, but a lot of "we support our troops" bumper stickers flying by.
    Many who actually served in Vietnam experienced the same treatment after coming back home, too. That was truly a sad period of American history.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Oh no doubt about it, and don't think I even want to come close to comparing the two.

Did you try the American Legion? They are good for about $250 cash assistance. Also, contact Wade at Ken's Auto Body in Port Orchard. He has been looking for a 40 hr employee.

That's BS. I never went to A or I either.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky508 View Post
    Yea I got alot of that when I got home too. Since I wasn't Vietnam vet, I didn't matter. Guess news coverage for what you did is where the money goes, smaller conflicts don't count.

You couldn't get a ride while in uniform? Thats just messed up!

In the few years following 9/11 you could have gotten a ride in a heart beat, and the guy/gal would have offered their daughters hand for marriage to boot.

Goes to show how quickly Americans forget that "support" should mean more than lip service.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 11-11-2011 at 02:32 AM.

+thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post

In the few years following 9/11 you could have gotten a ride in a heart beat, and the guy/gal would have offered their daughters hand for marriage to boot.

Goes to show how quickly Americans forget that "support" should mean more than lip service.
    Lip service is right. The only "love" I got was I was contacted by a couple of private "security" firms. Interesting how they were able to get a hold of a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post

When I travelled from basic training to my first duty station we were required to wear acu's. We had a 3 day weekend before we had to be there so I spent the weekend in Atlanta with some old hs friends who had moved up there. The day I left I was waiting for the bus to the airport and some dude stopped, asked where I was going, and gave me a lift, no questions asked. He was very nice and it was my first real encounter with anyone outside of basic training.