• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For the Veterans out there 11/11/11

MadHatter66

I was told yesterday that I wasn't a "real veteran" and do not qualify for any veteran assistance, by two different organizations no less. The back story is that I am unemployed and trying to make ends meet right now, so I contacted a veterans assistance program to see if I could get some help and they said that all the assistance they have is earmarked for "real veterans" that served in Iraq or Afghanistan and that I don't qualify. So sorry...:banghead:

The interesting part is two different organizations used the exact same terminology, of being a "real veteran" which I found odd. Seems like there has been such a huge deal made out of helping the returning war veterans, that they have forgotten about the rest of us that were not over there, but acting in a support capacity or fighting something entirely different. I get focusing on the returning vets they went through a lot over there, but there are a lot of us that weren't over there that are hurting as well... Either way it sucks...

Last edited:

Sparky508

I was told yesterday that I wasn't a "real veteran" and do not qualify for any veteran assistance, by two different organizations no less. The back story is that I am unemployed and trying to make ends meet right now, so I contacted a veterans assistance program to see if I could get some help and they said that all the assistance they have is earmarked for "real veterans" that served in Iraq or Afghanistan and that I don't qualify. So sorry...:banghead:

The interesting part is two different organizations used the exact same terminology, of being a "real veteran" which I found odd. Seems like there has been such a huge deal made out of helping the returning war veterans, that they have forgotten about the rest of us that were not over there, but acting in a support capacity or fighting something entirely different. I get focusing on the returning vets they went through a lot over there, but there are a lot of us that weren't over there that are hurting as well... Either way it sucks...

Yea I got alot of that when I got home too. Since I wasn't Vietnam vet, I didn't matter. Guess news coverage for what you did is where the money goes, smaller conflicts don't count.

Funny, couldnt get a ride from the airport either, class A, jump boots and beret. No takers for a hitch hiker, but a lot of "we support our troops" bumper stickers flying by.

MilProGuy

Yea I got alot of that when I got home too.

Funny, couldnt get a ride from the airport either, class A, jump boots and beret. No takers for a hitch hiker, but a lot of "we support our troops" bumper stickers flying by.

Many who actually served in Vietnam experienced the same treatment after coming back home, too. That was truly a sad period of American history.

Trigger Dr

Did you try the American Legion? They are good for about $250 cash assistance. Also, contact Wade at Ken's Auto Body in Port Orchard. He has been looking for a 40 hr employee.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

That's BS. I never went to A or I either.

FMCDH

Yea I got alot of that when I got home too. Since I wasn't Vietnam vet, I didn't matter. Guess news coverage for what you did is where the money goes, smaller conflicts don't count.

You couldn't get a ride while in uniform? Thats just messed up!

In the few years following 9/11 you could have gotten a ride in a heart beat, and the guy/gal would have offered their daughters hand for marriage to boot.

Goes to show how quickly Americans forget that "support" should mean more than lip service.

Last edited:

Sparky508

In the few years following 9/11 you could have gotten a ride in a heart beat, and the guy/gal would have offered their daughters hand for marriage to boot.

Goes to show how quickly Americans forget that "support" should mean more than lip service.

Lip service is right. The only "love" I got was I was contacted by a couple of private "security" firms. Interesting how they were able to get a hold of a guy.

Justman1020

When I travelled from basic training to my first duty station we were required to wear acu's. We had a 3 day weekend before we had to be there so I spent the weekend in Atlanta with some old hs friends who had moved up there. The day I left I was waiting for the bus to the airport and some dude stopped, asked where I was going, and gave me a lift, no questions asked. He was very nice and it was my first real encounter with anyone outside of basic training.