• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colville Liquor Store

Difdi

I have not ever needed a gallon of mayo

Yeah, those gallon jars of mayo can be more dangerous than you expect. I dropped one once. The side of the jar landed first and got driven in, launching half a gallon of mayo like out of a cannon. We were still finding the odd bit of mayonnaise up to 30 feet down the hallway, 3 days later. Floor to ceiling spread pattern, too. :lol:

tombrewster421

I agree, I refuse to buy a membership to save money. Beside's I have not ever needed a gallon of mayo, or 12 bars of Irish spring all at once.

We don't pay for our membership. We got the gold membership that has cash back rewards, and we buy enough stuff that the membership pays for itself and then some.

Metalhead47

Reminds me of those t-shirts that read: "Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms... should be a convenience store, not a government agency"

This. Used to be, you could go into any mercantile out in the country & walk out with a handgun, rifle, bottle of hooch, vial of coke, pack of smokes, AND a case of dynamite. No ID, no paperwork, no special taxes, not even a funny look from the clerk. And yet, society did not spontaneously self-destruct.

How you actually CARRIED all that stuff at once was entirely your own responsibility.

joeroket

As I understand the Initiative they all go away. The merchandise and fixtures get auctioned. With the requirement that a store be 10,000 sq feet or more, most of the State stores wouldn't qualify under new operators.

The contract stores are being grand-fathered and the owners have the option to continue operating.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The contract stores are being grand-fathered and the owners have the option to continue operating.

Yes that is true, however, they must now purchase their own inventory (as opposed to having it on consignment). Most of these small contract stores will not be able to afford the inventory, even on net 30 terms.

Jeff Hayes

I wonder what the state is going to do with the funds they will now have that were tied up in the iquor sitting in all those stores, that should be a fairly good sized chunk of change.

amlevin

Yes that is true, however, they must now purchase their own inventory (as opposed to having it on consignment). Most of these small contract stores will not be able to afford the inventory, even on net 30 terms.

Those that have some business savvy and a good business plan will be able to go to their local bank and get the necessary financing. They also could qualify for one of several SBA loan guarantee programs. They will be the ones that survive.

Metalhead47

I wonder what the state is going to do with the funds they will now have that were tied up in the iquor sitting in all those stores, that should be a fairly good sized chunk of change.

... give it to transit hopefully
read.gif

so all the new drunks can have a safe ride home... :rolleyes:

o2ryan

Wow, this thread got off topic quick!

Thor, Sorry I did not see this thread before now. Here is Grant's email address if you have not found it already, along with the response he sent me when I confronted him over the same issue.

Bulski, Grant E, GEBUL@LIQ.WA.GOV

Mr. Wilson,
I have discussed this incident with the manager, Burke at this store. There is a R.C.W. that prohibits state employees from carrying a firearm in the state liquor stores. This does not prohibit the public, like you, that has a concealed weapon permit from carry a firearm while shopping. I would like to offer an apology to you for this incident and I have covered this with the store manager to cover with the employees for future references.
With the economic downturn, more and more people are turning to robberies and it has the public a little on edge. Thank you for your taking the time to bring this issue to my attention and your professionalism in presenting this situation to me.

Sincerely,

Grant Bulski
Washington State Liquor Control Board
District Manager-District # 1
1303 W. Broadway Ave.
Spokane, Wa. 99206
Email: GEBUL@liq.wa.gov
Office 509-625-5523
Cell 509-999-9180

tombrewster421

Apparently this guy misunderstands the law. He thinks you have to have a CPL in order to carry while shopping, even if OC'ing. Unless the liquor store is on a bus, I don't think so.

Hey, that's a good idea. Liquor on the bus. It would be like a poor mans limo. ;)

Metalhead47

Hey, that's a good idea. Liquor on the bus. It would be like a poor mans limo. ;)

Funny you should mention that. I've seen a few really old CT busses that were turned into "party busses" and they never bothered to repaint them. The old 60' articulated one I saw in Marysville the other day looks it could hold one hell of a party. Not sure I'd wanna be the one driving it tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amlevin

Funny you should mention that. I've seen a few really old CT busses that were turned into "party busses" and they never bothered to repaint them. The old 60' articulated one I saw in Marysville the other day looks it could hold one hell of a party. Not sure I'd wanna be the one driving it tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine had an old School bus conversion back in the 70's that he used to park on my property. It had a welded on steel "Back Porch" and of course, the mandatory Keg Cooler inside.

Had a problem on on of his trips when his friends in the back would go out the Emergency Door, stand on the porch, and relieve themselves of the Beer they'd consumed inside. That in itself wasn't the problem, the fact that they'd do this while the bus was driving down the road WAS.

Luckily this was all before Cell Phones became standard equipment for everyone otherwise he'd have been pulled over in minutes after the first "whiz".

Metalhead47

A friend of mine had an old School bus conversion back in the 70's that he used to park on my property. It had a welded on steel "Back Porch" and of course, the mandatory Keg Cooler inside.

Had a problem on on of his trips when his friends in the back would go out the Emergency Door, stand on the porch, and relieve themselves of the Beer they'd consumed inside. That in itself wasn't the problem, the fact that they'd do this while the bus was driving down the road WAS.

Luckily this was all before Cell Phones became standard equipment for everyone otherwise he'd have been pulled over in minutes after the first "whiz".

Well that's one way to get rid of tailgaters!