• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colville Liquor Store

Thor80

So I came back out of the woods from hunting north of Colville and figured i'd stop by and grab some fire water, it was cold in them mountains! So I'm camo'ed out, pistol on hip walk into the store. Proceed to checkout, AFTER she checks me out and hands me the bottle the checker noticed my sidearm and said something to the effect of "oh, next time you need to please leave that in the car." I ask her why, I get the answer its against the law etc... Anyway after the manager huffily told me that there were to be no guns in "her store" she ended up calling the District Manager in Spokane. I'm thinking great, this guy will know the laws and back me up. Was I wrong, when I spoke to Grant Bulski he told me that there was an RCW that dealt with no guns in Post Offices and Liquor Stores! REALLY? Last time I checked Post Offices were not under state jurisdiction..... Anyway He couldn't cite the RCW number for me, I told him about 9.41.300 and the verbage about "Under 21" and how I could take my 7 and 2 year olds into the liquor store but I didn't get anywhere. I just thanked him for his time and said I'd follow up with him when I got back to town.

So with all that said, I tried searching this forum because I remember seeing a copy of an email from a WSLCB District Manager somewhere over there on the wet side basically apologizing for a similar incident and acknowledging that patrons carrying into State Liquor store was perfectly legal. Can anyone point me to that thread? I'd like to use that and the cite out of 9.41.300 when I follow up with mister Grant Bulski.

Any suggestions from those who have done this before?

Thanks!

-Thor

Thor80

Snarly, you there?

Snarly, when you read this, I just found an old post from spokaneguntrader and the one here of an email that you sent to Grant last year sometime. Do you still have his email address? I do find it kind of irritating that he told me the opposite of what he told you in the email....

-Thor

Last edited:

Thor80

Thor, they are all upset becasue they will have to stand in the unemployment line now.

You mean they cant get jobs at the new stores? :) Or heck, now they can become part of the backbone of America and become small business owners, after all they have experience in the field. I may support private WA liquor stores more......

Last edited:

amzbrady

You mean they cant get jobs at the new stores? :) Or heck, now they can become part of the backbone of America and become small business owners, after all they have experience in the field. I may support private WA liquor stores more......

Cant wait to see how Costco reacts with armed citizens wanting to by liqour.

sudden valley gunner

I heard it was unions are one of the groups who opposed this initiative. Along with the majority of politicians against the will of the people. Hmmmm yep laws are written for our benefit. Being that there are a lot less private stores that are non union it would be interesting to see where these folks go.

+1 for the people in Washington in overturning 80 years of Unconstitutional Washington control. The "leaders" were unwilling to let go of.

Cant wait to see how Costco reacts with armed citizens wanting to by liqour.

I have bought beer and wine, OC'ing and never had a problem at Costco and I OC there all the time. I don't see they will react any different.

amlevin

Don't feel too sorry for those private "Contract Store" operators. Other than the fact they had to rent the space on their own, they were operating a somewhat no risk business. Nobody else could sell liquor in their area, they didn't have to pay for the inventory (state consigned it to them) and they made a fixed commission on all sales. No loss due to inventory breakage, no loss due to markdown on overstock or discontinued, or any of the other risks a normal business faces.

Now that the initiative has passed they have the opportunity to take the Store entirely as their own. No "bidding" for a license. They already have the customer base. All they have to do is pay for their inventory, just like every other retailer out there in "business land".

If Costo does like everything else, you'll only be able to buy limited brands in huge bottles. These small operators will be in the position of handling the "Good Stuff" that doesn't sell cheap anyway. They also won't have to bend over and pay the States huge markup.

My local hardware store and lumber yard survived Lowes and Home Depot, so will the Contract Stores, if they want too. If they want to continue thinking like State Employees, they'll end up on the curb.

As for OC'ing in the stores, we'll now all be subject to the same rules as in all private businesses. Whatever the owner says is what they'll be.

Last edited:

hermannr

I'm not so sure of that. Costco has some pretty pricey wines and speciality beers. I do think the average cost of wine and liquor will come down though. I think Costco will have a good variety available, and probably not a lot of cheap stuff. Remember, Costco is not necessarily the "cheap" store. It is geared more to volume rather that just "cheap" merchandise.

The anti 1183 crew was the unions (fear of the state employee's union is why the legislature could never shed the liquor stores) and the liquor distributors.

The state union workers were making more, and had better health and retirement benefits than anyone else in the state doing an equivilent job. They will be able to fnd employment, but at a lower wage and with fewer benefits...that is one of the reasons the cost to the consumer will go down.

The contract stores will have compitition, meaning lower margins to compete. The Liquor distributors will have compitition, which will translate into lower profits for them, and lower liquor prices for the consumer. The customer will also be able to find speciality liquors that are not available now because the present group of liquor distributors don't handle them...etc.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Costco will interview WSLCB employees.....

SEATTLE — Costco says it will offer job interviews to any Washington state liquor worker who is displaced when stores close in June.Chief legal officer Joel Benoliel told The Seattle Times ( [url]http://bit.ly/rZHTJG
) there's no guarantee of a job.More than 900 state liquor workers will lose their jobs as a result of voters passing Initiative 1183. It will take the state out of the liquor business and allow hard liquor to be sold at large grocery stores.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/11/10/1900631/costco-will-interview-washington.html#ixzz1dLRRHADL
[/URL]

Metalhead47

SEATTLE — Costco says it will offer job interviews to any Washington state liquor worker who is displaced when stores close in June.Chief legal officer Joel Benoliel told The Seattle Times ( http://bit.ly/rZHTJG) there's no guarantee of a job.More than 900 state liquor workers will lose their jobs as a result of voters passing Initiative 1183. It will take the state out of the liquor business and allow hard liquor to be sold at large grocery stores.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/11/10/1900631/costco-will-interview-washington.html#ixzz1dLRRHADL

Hm, decent of them, considering they pretty much financed the entire initiative. IIRC the contract stores could continue to do business as independent private entities. What about the state-run stores?

fire suppressor

It's been a while sense I looked but if I remember right the last time I looked at Costco membership terms and conditions it dose not specify no firearms but it did say no weapons. I always just CC