• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted...

DooFster

I'm in the market for a decent 9mm at a decent price. I'm REALLY interested in the Ruger P95. Any pros or cons and/or personal experience that anyone has with this equipment? Any and all advice or any other suggestions for 9mm that's decently-priced...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK, I feel like playing the game, so I'll go first.

Get a Hi-Point. Ugly, inexpensive, and goes bang every time in spite of everybody dissing its looks and the fact that it is inexpensive and goes bang every time. Oh, yeah! You can get a holster for it, too.

Maube in another post I'll recommend OCing a Rorbaugh.:lol: (Yes, I have done that. Wanna make something of it?)

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Skid, a Hi -Point, really? :D

I really like my Ruger SR9. The P95s are plentiful at gun shows if you don't mind buying a used pistol. What's your general price range? Tons of choices out there.

carsontech

Activist Member
Maybe in another post I'll recommend OCing a Rorbaugh.:lol: (Yes, I have done that. Wanna make something of it?)

Before I had my "permission slip" to conceal, I OCed my keltec P3AT on my left hip and my 1911 on my right. I still OC the mousegun along with my primary gun sometimes. Only got one comment carrying like this, and it was someone jokingly asking me why I didn't carry more than 2 guns on my belt.

I even OCed a 1911 and Glock at the same time. No one screamed or ran away, and the LEOs said nothing. I did get more looks than ussual, though.

Since I don't get to OC often, I usually go all out. :D

I'm in the market for a decent 9mm at a decent price. I'm REALLY interested in the Ruger P95. Any pros or cons and/or personal experience that anyone has with this equipment? Any and all advice or any other suggestions for 9mm that's decently-priced...

As for the Ruger, I am not a fan of the company since Bill Ruger had a hand in the Hi-Cap Mag ban under the Clinton administration. I do like their guns. The P95 is a BIG 9mm handgun, but I like big. That's really the only reason I like it over any other 9mm. If it wasn't a Ruger, I'd have one.

Don't let my personal views on Ruger stop you from looking into one, just research the company and decide for yourself. That being said, I may buy a used Ruger in the future.

Last edited:

UtahRSO

I own a Ruger P95. I have a Hogue wrap-around grip on it, and that makes it rock solid in my hands (a little too slick otherwise), and it points wonderfully. When I point the Ruger P95 (and the P97-same thing), the sights are right on. Now, I've trained my hands to achieve that with the other semi-autos I own, but the Rugers came that way for me.

The other good thing about the Rugers is reliablity. I never, never had a problem with feeding or firing ANY ammo, handloads or factory.

But I don't carry the P95 now. I just don't like the DA/SA trigger. That's just a personal thing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ruger P95 because it's a great gun. If the trigger works for you, you won't be sorry owning it.

AmbushBug

Second the SR9; handle one and see if you like it. It has a very thin grip for a double-stack 9, and a reversible backstrap. I prefer the Weaver grip-stance and for me the SR9 fits it, similar to the 1911. The Glock, XD, and Beretta 92 seem rather fat-bodied in comparison and are to my hands more suited to the isoceles.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have nothing but good things to say about the Ruger P95. It's comfortable, even though a little top-heavy, and shoots extremely well for its price-point. It's an excellent value and as strong and reliable as they come. And you can still find Ruger PC9 carbines to go with them, but the triggers on those were horrible.

I also am extremely happy with the surplus Sig P6 (P225) that I bought from JG Sales last year. This is a single-stack 9mm on the middle frame. With transfer fees, it was less than $400 out the door, for a Sig. This is a very comfortable pistol and I was amazed at how accurate it is, perhaps the most accurate 9mm I own. If it had adjustable sights, I'd consider using it in Bullseye competitions. It's greatest drawback is the expense of extra magazines.

gmijackso

Get a Hi-Point. Ugly, inexpensive, and goes bang every time in spite of everybody dissing its looks and the fact that it is inexpensive and goes bang every time. Oh, yeah! You can get a holster for it, too.

My sarcasm meter is a little on the fritz, so I can't tell... But, I have two Hi-Point pistols (9mm and 45) and would bet my life on them any time. They are in fact the weapons I routinely carry. The price can't be beat, lifetime no questions asked warranty, goes bang every time, cheap enough that you don't concern yourself with weather/wear... I love the things. They also have the added plus side that if you run out of ammo, they make a fine hammer.

Seriously though, the 9mm is only made in the "compact" size, which with large hands feels a little strange. You can get used to it however. They're compact size is a little out of place. Too big to conceal easily, and if you're going to OC, just go full size. The 45 however feels great. The added weight of the gun reduces recoil some, and really has about the same "kick" as the 9mm. So given the choice for an OC Hi-Point, I'd choose the 45.

Not saying that Hi-Point is by any means the best weapon available, but I will say it is probably the best, if not the only $170ish brand new, lifetime warrantied, made in America, handgun available.

DooFster

What's your general price range? Tons of choices out there.

I'm in a rough budget of around $300-$500 (I know it's not much, but being newlywed it happens)...

Second the SR9; handle one and see if you like it. It has a very thin grip for a double-stack 9, and a reversible backstrap. I prefer the Weaver grip-stance and for me the SR9 fits it, similar to the 1911. The Glock, XD, and Beretta 92 seem rather fat-bodied in comparison and are to my hands more suited to the isoceles.

I like the upper slide guard so you don't get bit when it retracts...

I have nothing but good things to say about the Ruger P95. It's comfortable, even though a little top-heavy, and shoots extremely well for its price-point.

My father owns a P94 and I've always liked the way it looks and liked the handling of it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I am thinking of running to Bass Pro in Vegas when I get there to get my hands on something cheap yet really reliable. Thanks for the input so far! Any more is ALWAYS appreciated...

Vegassteve

I'
My father owns a P94 and I've always liked the way it looks and liked the handling of it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I am thinking of running to Bass Pro in Vegas when I get there to get my hands on something cheap yet really reliable. Thanks for the input so far! Any more is ALWAYS appreciated...

You wont get a good deal at bass pro that is for sure. New Frontier or Lock and Load or Northwest Arms will all give you a much better price on anything vs bass pro.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'm in a rough budget of around $300-$500 (I know it's not much, but being newlywed it happens)...

I know I harp on this a lot but keep an eye out for good deals on used guns. You can have a lightly used gun in a type or brand you thought you couldn't afford with 4-5 bills. I bought both my main carry guns for under 5 and they retail for 8 or 9.

MilProGuy

The Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 9mm is one fine carry / home defense pistol.

Mine has been 110% reliable and is very accurate at self-defense distances.

The MilPro PT111 sells for around $330.00 and carries a lifetime warranty.

084pt111andtheword.jpg

Justman1020

hi-point.
no seriously, get one....

or an M&P9c, If your gonna buy something, why not get something worth having the first time?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for the entertainment, all you who have put down the Hi-Point.

No, I don't own one. But I know folks that do, and have shot one a few tmes.

It goes bang pretty much like a Timex goes tick - every time. It does not cost a whole lot. The bullets go where you want them to. You can get decent holsters for either OC or CC (not that anyone here would ever CC :uhoh: ;)).

And everybody loves to make fun of it because it looks like an ugly duckling.

Who could ask for anything else.

Oh! Wait! There is a flaw - there is absolutely no way possible to modify it, unless you call a fluff and buff a modification. So you cannot spend endless time and money trying to make it into something it was not in the beginning.

stay safe.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

It goes bang pretty much like a Timex goes tick - every time. It does not cost a whole lot. The bullets go where you want them to. You can get decent holsters for either OC or CC (not that anyone here would ever CC :uhoh: ;)).

Oh! Wait! There is a flaw - there is absolutely no way possible to modify it, unless you call a fluff and buff a modification. So you cannot spend endless time and money trying to make it into something it was not in the beginning.

stay safe.

Me thinks you are getting too sensitive in your young age skid!:p I counted only 1 negative post about hipoints, 1 that might be, 2 positive (including yours) and more than 9 that never talked about one.

Last edited:

Justman1020

stay safe.

Seriously??
If you are looking for spending Hours and $$ trying to make it something its not in the beginning, WHY not just take all that GOOD money, save yourself the HOURS, and BUY a DECENT gun in the first place...

will no longer reply to this thread.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Seriously??
If you are looking for spending Hours and $$ trying to make it something its not in the beginning, WHY not just take all that GOOD money, save yourself the HOURS, and BUY a DECENT gun in the first place...

will no longer reply to this thread.

Wow, calm down....read his post again. His "flaw" wasn't even a flaw. It was a reference to those who feel the need to modify every gun they buy.