• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter."

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The subject title is from a post on another website I just read. Thought it was apropos for us folks here on OCDO. I have no knowledge of the event so I am only posting what I read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/147404-oc-may-have-prevented-crime-leo-encounter.html

"Well here is what happened to me last night:
I went over to Youngstown Ohio around ten to take advantage of the lower gas prices. As I stepped out to insert my card, a car with three black males in their early 20s pulled up in a late model buick regal. Not to be stereotypical, but they were all dressed in typical banger attire, with one exception that really stood out to me: each one wore a black hat that was facing the right way and pulled down low. This struck me as odd. One went into the store and walked around and appeared to be looking at everything and nothing at the same time. I saw the guy inside throw a thumbs up to the guys outside. One guy got in the driver seat and started the car. The other guy started to walk toward the store entrance, walking about 5 feet away from me. As he walked by I saw him glance at me. I was turned strong side facing him.

What happened next, to my mind, can only be attributed to the fact that I was OC.
As he drew parallel to me, he looked at me, looked at my firearm, looked at me again and stopped. He stared at me for about 5 seconds (I think) and I kinda stared back. He turned around and went back to the car, getting in the passenger seat. He got his cell phone, and ten seconds later the guy in the store came walking out. He looked at me as he passed by but didn't say anything. He got in the car and they left.

I went into the store to talk to the clerk, a very nice Arab fellow. He knows me, as I OC there frequently.

Azmat: I think those guys were rob me.
Me: I agree.
Azmat: You scare them off?
Me: I didn't say a word to them.
Azmat: Your gun scare them off.
Me: Perhaps. You should call the police and report this.
Azmat: Yes, I will. You stay and talk to them too?
Me: Sure.

He called the police and ten minutes later they arrived. I was standing outside with Azmat.
Officer 1: That's going to stay in its holster, right?
Me: It typically does unless I tell it otherwise.
Officer 2: Ok no problem, youre not gonna see any Canton PD **** out of us.
Me: It's nice to see that some of the good guys really ARE good guys.
Officer 2: Yeah, so what happened?

We told them the story, and Azmat showed them the tape.

Officer 1: They were definately going to hit the place. However since no crime was actually committed, the best we can do is look for them and see if we hit anything when we pull them over. You guys did great.
Officer 2 (to me): You should submit this to the NRA armed citizen column. We can corroborate your story.
Me: Thanks, I may do that. You guys be extra safe going after these losers.
Both of them: Will do, you guys have a good night.

That was a very interesting night for me. Nobody got hurt, and I met some really good officers."

MilProGuy

Thank you for sharing this most interesting and relevent experience with us. It goes without saying that you are glad that you were armed.

I'm sure the store manager will be eternally grateful that you just happened to be on the premises when this took place.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Thank you for sharing this most interesting and relevent experience with us. It goes without saying that you are glad that you were armed.

I'm sure the store manager will be eternally grateful that you just happened to be on the premises when this took place.

It wasn't me. I just read this yesterday on another gun website which I have never seen before. I thought it was appropriate to our thrust on this site in that is showed how the fact that this citizen being armed probably averted a serious crime from taking place. Kinda flies in the face of the CC'ers who blast us and say how this ain't gonna happen.

MilProGuy

It wasn't me. I just read this yesterday on another gun website which I have never seen before. I thought it was appropriate to our thrust on this site in that is showed how the fact that this citizen being armed probably averted a serious crime from taking place. Kinda flies in the face of the CC'ers who blast us and say how this ain't gonna happen.

Sorry, I had another "senior moment".

Thanks for setting me straight and, again, thanks for sharing the story.

protias

You mean they didn't try to "take you (the guy carrying) out first?" :p

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You mean they didn't try to "take you out first?" :p

Take him out?

They haven't even gotten his parents' permission - most likely because they have not been properly introduced.

You do realize the person that wrote the post that SouthernBoy quoted did so on another forum that is not OCDO?

stay safe.

protias

Take him out?

They haven't even gotten his parents' permission - most likely because they have not been properly introduced.

You do realize the person that wrote the post that SouthernBoy quoted did so on another forum that is not OCDO?

stay safe.

Yes, but "you" is a general term that can be used for anyone carrying. I can edit my post to be more clear. :lol:

SouthernBoy

You mean they didn't try to "take you (the guy carrying) out first?" :p

This does bring up an interesting thought which I would bet most on these forums have entertained. I'm sure most all folks on OCDO are familiar with Gary Kleck's 1993 Florida State study regarding the number of citizen defensive use of firearms in a year. His study indicated that perhaps as many as 2.5 million times a year, Americans used a firearm in theirs or someone else's defense. The thing is we'll never know because it is also believed that so many thwarted criminal attempts go unreported when the BG just runs off or is abruptly scared away.

Now in more recent years when you add in the fact that there are growing numbers of Americans going openly armed, you can pretty much be assured that the 2.5 million figure is stretch even more as we see in this thread's initial post. We will just never know how many BG's, upon seeing an armed person heading into a bank or stopping off to fuel his vehicle or just walking across a shopping center parking lot, decided to put a hold on their plans and call it a day.

Maybe time for another study, but how it might be conducted is beyond me.

jhco50

The subject title is from a post on another website I just read. Thought it was apropos for us folks here on OCDO. I have no knowledge of the event so I am only posting what I read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/147404-oc-may-have-prevented-crime-leo-encounter.html

"Well here is what happened to me last night:
I went over to Youngstown Ohio around ten to take advantage of the lower gas prices. As I stepped out to insert my card, a car with three black males in their early 20s pulled up in a late model buick regal. Not to be stereotypical, but they were all dressed in typical banger attire, with one exception that really stood out to me: each one wore a black hat that was facing the right way and pulled down low. This struck me as odd. One went into the store and walked around and appeared to be looking at everything and nothing at the same time. I saw the guy inside throw a thumbs up to the guys outside. One guy got in the driver seat and started the car. The other guy started to walk toward the store entrance, walking about 5 feet away from me. As he walked by I saw him glance at me. I was turned strong side facing him.

What happened next, to my mind, can only be attributed to the fact that I was OC.
As he drew parallel to me, he looked at me, looked at my firearm, looked at me again and stopped. He stared at me for about 5 seconds (I think) and I kinda stared back. He turned around and went back to the car, getting in the passenger seat. He got his cell phone, and ten seconds later the guy in the store came walking out. He looked at me as he passed by but didn't say anything. He got in the car and they left.

I went into the store to talk to the clerk, a very nice Arab fellow. He knows me, as I OC there frequently.

Azmat: I think those guys were rob me.
Me: I agree.
Azmat: You scare them off?
Me: I didn't say a word to them.
Azmat: Your gun scare them off.
Me: Perhaps. You should call the police and report this.
Azmat: Yes, I will. You stay and talk to them too?
Me: Sure.

He called the police and ten minutes later they arrived. I was standing outside with Azmat.
Officer 1: That's going to stay in its holster, right?
Me: It typically does unless I tell it otherwise.
Officer 2: Ok no problem, youre not gonna see any Canton PD **** out of us.
Me: It's nice to see that some of the good guys really ARE good guys.
Officer 2: Yeah, so what happened?

We told them the story, and Azmat showed them the tape.

Officer 1: They were definately going to hit the place. However since no crime was actually committed, the best we can do is look for them and see if we hit anything when we pull them over. You guys did great.
Officer 2 (to me): You should submit this to the NRA armed citizen column. We can corroborate your story.
Me: Thanks, I may do that. You guys be extra safe going after these losers.
Both of them: Will do, you guys have a good night.

That was a very interesting night for me. Nobody got hurt, and I met some really good officers."

I hope you don't mind if I use your experience for a discussion I am having about gun control. I will credit you with the story.

ncwabbit

john lott has updated his study

More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws, Third Edition (Studies in Law and Economics)

electronic version is 5.00 +/-

while filled w/stats, quite an interesting read...

wabbit

HighFlyingA380

Please note, it was not my experience. I saw it on another site and thought it relevant for this site.

Sorry, but people need to read more carefully. Makes me ponder just how aware they are of their surroundings while OCing...

Anyway, back on topic, I love reading these stories. Not great that there are scumbags out there doing this stuff :cuss:, but great to hear the good guy's winning, as well as cops actually knowing their place and doing their job correctly. :banana:

Last edited: