• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Dome

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
....state law does not make it illegal to carry at stadiums........:rolleyes:

RCW 9.41.300(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

9.41.070 Concealed pistol license

Tacoma City Ordinance 8.67.020 Possession of firearms prohibited
in publicly owned stadiums and convention centers.

It is unlawful for any person to enter any municipally
or county-owned stadium or convention center
located within the City of Tacoma when he or she
knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or
her control a weapon, except that such restrictions
shall not apply to:
A. Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed
under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing
requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
B. Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving
the exhibition of firearms.
Violation of this section is a misdemeanor. Any
person convicted of violating this section shall be
guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum
penalty of a $1,000 fine or 90 days in jail, or both
such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 27506 § 12;
passed Jul. 25, 2006)

I know it is difficult to grasp, but the legislature added this to allow cities and counties to implement some ordinances to restriction firearms and in that they included Stadium or Convention Centers with an exception of those who posses a concealed pistol license and the City of Tacoma has taken advantage of that in their ordinance.

So other then that, it must be another one of those laws that you feel do not apply to you.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

You really are that desperate to attack me that you are attacking me on a point I don't disagree on?

The state doesn't make it illegal. Tacoma does......:rolleyes:

Nice ad hominem thrown in too.

If they make guns illegal tomorrow you turning yours in?

P.S. No where have I ever said laws don't apply to me, only that many laws are simply unconsitutional , tyrannical and freedom strangling.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Oh, LOL The State fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation but allows for some control by Cities and Counties but oh no they do not make it illegal, Yeah Right.

That's right not a difficult concept to grasp. They allow an exception for cities to make their own laws in a few certain areas. This does not mean the State makes it illegal.....

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

And it goes on to list where the State withholds their preemption.

jt59

Anything Changed?

So, Going to the Silver Bullet Band Concert...

From the Dome site rule/policy;

Firearms

For the safety of all guests, firearms of any kind, regardless of permit, are not allowed in the Tacoma Dome. The only exception to this is UNIFORMED law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of an event ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in not being admitted to the event or ejection. If a patron enters the Tacoma Dome and is ejected for any reason, no refunds or exchanges will be allowed in such an event.

This seems to fly in the face of what we know for CPL holders under:

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

Anybody with some recent experience to share? I thought that this was addressed with them a long time ago?

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
this was, guess it's time for me to attend the city council meetings again.The Tacoma Dome (& Cheney Stadium) is owned and operated by the city (unlike Seattle who uses a third party to manage the facility)

jt59

This may be one where we attend some council meetings and get the SAF to write them a letter.

So, signs all over...no weapons...

Went in with a crowd...they checked the wife's purse, and asked me to remove my hat... I had a pullover jacket, and a Sig 380 concealed on my hip.

They were having the men with zipper or button jackets, open them and have a quick look...SOB would have worked

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So, signs all over...no weapons...

Went in with a crowd...they checked the wife's purse, and asked me to remove my hat... I had a pullover jacket, and a Sig 380 concealed on my hip.

They were having the men with zipper or button jackets, open them and have a quick look...SOB would have worked

I will have to show you how to carry into stadiums.

1245A Defender

Huh!!!

Funny this thread is now a "how to get your gun past security",
but is really supposed to be about
the illeagality of Tacoma violating state preemption.

BTW, I know the proper way to get your bug past the wand and check point too, you wrote it here, I read it!

Difdi

For the safety of all guests, firearms of any kind, regardless of permit, are not allowed in the Tacoma Dome. The only exception to this is UNIFORMED law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of an event ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in not being admitted to the event or ejection. If a patron enters the Tacoma Dome and is ejected for any reason, no refunds or exchanges will be allowed in such an event.

That last line particularly bothers me. The city/Dome management seems to be saying that if they kick you out unlawfully you would not be entitled to a refund.

State preemption absolutely applies to a city-owned property running a city event. If you have a CPL, then carry isn't against state or city laws. At that point, kicking you out for exercising your rights under the law would be discriminating against you for exercising those rights. I can't imagine a court siding with the city on the no-refunds rule in those circumstances.

Last edited:

1911er

Winter Jam tour is the event

The only thing in my opinion they could get you with is RCW 70.108.020: For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Applicant" means the promoter who has the right of control of the conduct of an outdoor music festival who applies to the appropriate legislative authority for a license to hold an outdoor music festival.

(2) "Issuing authority" means the legislative body of the local governmental unit where the site for an outdoor music festival is located.

(3) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

(4) "Participate" means to knowingly provide or deliver to the festival site supplies, materials, food, lumber, beverages, sound equipment, generators, or musical entertainment and/or to attend a music festival. A person shall be presumed to have knowingly provided as that phrase is used herein after he or she has been served with a court order.

(5) "Promoter" means any person or other legal entity issued a permit to conduct an outdoor music festival.

Just my 2 cents although IANAL

jt59

The only thing in my opinion they could get you with is RCW 70.108.020: For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Applicant" means the promoter who has the right of control of the conduct of an outdoor music festival who applies to the appropriate legislative authority for a license to hold an outdoor music festival.

(2) "Issuing authority" means the legislative body of the local governmental unit where the site for an outdoor music festival is located.

(3) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

(4) "Participate" means to knowingly provide or deliver to the festival site supplies, materials, food, lumber, beverages, sound equipment, generators, or musical entertainment and/or to attend a music festival. A person shall be presumed to have knowingly provided as that phrase is used herein after he or she has been served with a court order.

(5) "Promoter" means any person or other legal entity issued a permit to conduct an outdoor music festival.

Just my 2 cents although IANAL

Not sure where you're going with this... the Tacoma Dome is not an outdoor venue (obviously) and the event lasted from 8-11:00

1911er

Not sure where you're going with this... the Tacoma Dome is not an outdoor venue (obviously) and the event lasted from 8-11:00

Didn't realize it was a short event

(3) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more

mikeyb

So if you don't have a CPL, you can still bring a gun in, according to the other exemption RCW 9.41.060:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;

backpack/lumbar pack/messenger bag.