• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Dome

Justman1020

I can not find any information anywhere,
I am going to the tacoma dome on saturday, am i able to carry there??

SigGuy23

Activist Member
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
About 2 years ago I believe it was during the Funeral being held at the Tacoma Dome for the Lakewood Officers slain in a Coffee shop an out of town Paramedic attended with Officers from where he lived and was cited for carrying a firearm in the Tacoma Dome and if I remember correctly, the charges were dropped.

As to them changing their preempted Tacoma ordinance I am not aware of, though it is legal as long as you have a CPL and if the Event does not restrict firearms, so concealed would be a good option in this instance.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It's legal even without a cpl, all they can do if they restrict firearms is ask you to leave.

Not so

9.41.300(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

Since it would not be considered a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, 9.41.060 would apply unless it as a gun show or demonstration.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
As stated before if the exhibitor does not restrict firearms possession and you have a CPL, then it legal. Does one have to conceal, it appears not but you will draw unwanted attention resulting in asking to leave.

And the City Ordinance is in compliance.

Tacoma City Ordinance 8.67.020 Possession of firearms prohibited
in publicly owned stadiums and convention centers.

It is unlawful for any person to enter any municipally
or county-owned stadium or convention center
located within the City of Tacoma when he or she
knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or
her control a weapon, except that such restrictions
shall not apply to:
A. Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed
under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing
requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
B. Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving
the exhibition of firearms.

Violation of this section is a misdemeanor. Any
person convicted of violating this section shall be
guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum
penalty of a $1,000 fine or 90 days in jail, or both
such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 27506 § 12;
passed Jul. 25, 2006)

Last edited:

tombrewster421

So here's a question, then...

Let's say there is a city sponsored event at the Tacoma Dome - something like the Natonal Night Out - where there is no lease agreement, just the city invites LEO agencies to set up displays and invites the public. I show up at the Tacoma Dome legally carrying my gun, with my CPL. The city of Tacoma tells me I have to leave because guns are prohibited in the Tacoma Dome according to:
http://www.tacomadome.org/a_z.aspx#F

So, now what? What if I refuse to leave? The City says, "There is no criminal penalty associated with you carrying your gun here, but we will require you to leave if you have a gun."

I am asking this purely as an infomative type question, I am not attempting to argue with anyone's previous posts.

That sounds exactly like Seattle's parks ban. They worded their "rules" the same way thinking they could get away with it. I wonder if Cheny stadium would be the same way then ,as it is also operated by the city.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So here's a question, then...

Let's say there is a city sponsored event at the Tacoma Dome - something like the Natonal Night Out - where there is no lease agreement, just the city invites LEO agencies to set up displays and invites the public. I show up at the Tacoma Dome legally carrying my gun, with my CPL. The city of Tacoma tells me I have to leave because guns are prohibited in the Tacoma Dome according to:
http://www.tacomadome.org/a_z.aspx#F

So, now what? What if I refuse to leave? The City says, "There is no criminal penalty associated with you carrying your gun here, but we will require you to leave if you have a gun."

I am asking this purely as an infomative type question, I am not attempting to argue with anyone's previous posts.

Lawfully they have no grounds to restrict you from attending a city promoted event and the last I remember the Tacoma Dome is owned by the City so Preemption applies.

From the Tacoma Dome website "The Tacoma Dome is one of the largest wood domed structures in the world. It is owned and operated by the City of Tacoma’s Public Assembly Facilities Department."

RCW 300(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060
; or

(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

If they tell you to leave as with noted above, The Seattle City Parks Lawsuit and now with the Appeals Court Ruling would likely be dropped or dismissed and then of course depending upon the person being cited to file a lawsuit

Replying to the concept of being a City Sponsored Event at a City Owned and Operated, if they were to deny you access it would be as with the Seattle City Parks Lawsuit.
They would not be a private entity and would be in violation of State Law refusing access while being armed.

If they were an event not associated with the City then it appears they could restrict firearms possession although the city would find it awful hard to support placing a restriction upon them to prohibit firearms.
Yakima County had this type of restriction for a while or until I addressed the issue with them and it was removed.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
About 2 years ago I believe it was during the Funeral being held at the Tacoma Dome for the Lakewood Officers slain in a Coffee shop an out of town Paramedic attended with Officers from where he lived and was cited for carrying a firearm in the Tacoma Dome and if I remember correctly, the charges were dropped.

As to them changing their preempted Tacoma ordinance I am not aware of, though it is legal as long as you have a CPL and if the Event does not restrict firearms, so concealed would be a good option in this instance.

Never heard that...however, I did carry to the memorial....with no issues.

15332_1064015337117_1728023493_131708_6283461_n.jpg

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I was able to find the reference as I cited above.

Full Story can be found here Mark Knapp, Federal Way Firearms Lawyers Website

Basically an EMT from the Wenatchee Area accompanied their Honor Guard to the Memorial and while he was waiting with his law enforcement friends in a holding area for the Memorial a Tacoma Police Officer wanted to arrest him but was talked out of it but still cited him which was thrown out in the first hearing, Thanks goes to Firearms Lawyer Mark Knapp.

Last edited:

Justman1020

Spoke with Sue, whom i am not sure of her last name, but she works for holt international, and is in charge of winter jam west
she said carrying there was not against winter jam's or holt international policies,

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
M1Gunr I was looking over your letter to the City of Tacoma and found one reference, well to be incorrect;

9.41.270(2)(c) protects the citizen’s right to openly carry a firearm for the purpose of
self-protection and protection of others against the use of “…unlawful force by a third
person.”

Was this to be 9.41.270(3)(c) ?

9.41.270(3)(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;​

I do not see this protecting a citizens right to openly carry a firearm but rather display of a firearm when threatened with unlawful force by another or in protection of a third person.

My thought as to the right to open carry laid more with the concept laws are written to prohibit acts or actions and there is nothing prohibiting open carry. Along with our Constitution Art 1 Sec 24 that the right to bear arms shall not be impaired.

sudden valley gunner

Not so

9.41.300(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

Since it would not be considered a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, 9.41.060 would apply unless it as a gun show or demonstration.

My mistake for not knowing or really caring what Tacoma law is, I was referring to a private business or privately ran event banning firearms.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members