• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Dome

jt59

working the problem

Well,

I've started the process with the folks at the Dome...

I've contacted Cynthia Davis, Operations Manager there, by e-mail and sent a primer on 9.41 and the relevant bits...along with one of Workman's articles on the outcome of appeal and the final SAF info on the WA Supremes...and a demand for review and modification of their "rules".

It will be interesting to see her response...I'll post it when/if I get it...

jt59

This may be one where we attend some council meetings and get the SAF to write them a letter.

Nick or Bill,

Either of you guys have any personal contacts on the City council?....will it get kicked to a citizen firearm advisory board like the county?

We should work this from both ends...

Freedom1Man

Didn't realize it was a short event

(3) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more

So, yeah, outdoor still. Would not apply at the Tacoma Dome.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Nick or Bill,

Either of you guys have any personal contacts on the City council?....will it get kicked to a citizen firearm advisory board like the county?

None with the city council, I doubt it will get kicked to an advisory board.

Here is the page with Bill's info from a few years ago... http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=3

One thing that is different now is the Seattle v Chan case...

Last edited:

jt59

None with the city council, I doubt it will get kicked to an advisory board.

Here is the page with Bill's info from a few years ago... http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=3

One thing that is different now is the Seattle v Chan case...

Yes,...It seems to me there was some delaying tactics in a number of cities waiting for the outcome....

We'll see in the next day or two what kind of response I get....

Bill Starks

State Researcher
<edit> didn't read till the end of the thread....

Nick or Bill,

It's now a different mayor and more than likely different city council members.

Here are the three letters from NWCDL.org that I started:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=43
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=42
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=39

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Clearly some are again pick and pluck what they feel applies is this subject as well.

Note below there is a restriction to this definition where the Tacoma Dome is a regularly established permanent stadium.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

RCW 70.108.020(3)

• "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment,
  • where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer:
  • PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of
    worship,
    stadium,
    athletic field,
    arena,
    auditorium,
    coliseum,​
    or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held:
  • PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

So it falls back to the exceptions in;

RCW 9.41.300(2)(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

tombrewster421

So someone with no CPL should be able to carry an unloaded pistol in their backpack or purse according to the 9th exception in .060.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The Tacoma City Council meets every Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, on the first floor of the Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market St., Tacoma, WA 98402. Take a look on the City Council District map to identify your district and Council Member.

boatswain

I hate to revive an old thread, but any updates on the Tacoma Dome policy?

I see Key Arena allows CPL so I don't understand why Tacoma thinks they can flout the law?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I hate to revive an old thread, but any updates on the Tacoma Dome policy?

I see Key Arena allows CPL so I don't understand why Tacoma thinks they can flout the law?

page 2 of the thread....
Add this site to your favorites, it has some info when I challenged the city over the stadium:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=3

The Tacoma Dome & Cheney Stadium is City owned and run by a city department. They fall under preemption as well as .300

J1MB0B

page 2 of the thread....
Add this site to your favorites, it has some info when I challenged the city over the stadium:

The Tacoma Dome & Cheney Stadium is City owned and run by a city department. They fall under preemption as well as .300

Following the link posted above, I found a letter written by Mark Knapp to the Employment Security Department. The letter states that their signs restricting firearms are in violation of state preemption(paraphrased).
My question is this. According to the Washington state government organizational chart for 2013, the Employment Security Department is an executive level agency within the state. It has been stated a few time in my thread about firearms at Bates that state preemption does not apply to Bate's because it is an executive level state agency. Some agencies are led by "Governor-Appointed Executives" and some are "Under Authority of a Board, Council, or Commission". They all appear to be executive agencies within the state.

There are also threads about signage at the Department of Social and Heath Services and Department of Licensing, which are also state executive agencies. How does state preemption apply to the ESD, DOL, DSHS, but not to community and technical colleges? What makes it ok for community and technical colleges to make rules/polices that contradict state law and restrict our rights, but not these other state agencies?

Wa state org chart: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ofm.wa.gov%2Freports%2Forgchart%2Forgchart.pdf&ei=wa_iUtryOon7oATKloGoDw&usg=AFQjCNHRMAiHh165tMROK54s0nKL8ySUug&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cGU

Jeff Hayes

page 2 of the thread....

So Bill what was the final conclusion? Does the Tacoma dome allow carry by CPL holders? I have been going round and round with the Spokane Public Facilities District and their answer is the same as the answer you received in PDF #2. I totally agree wit PDF #3 David Kelly's letter and that has been my exact argument. Do we need to get together and sue to make them follow state law?

Last edited:

deanf

How does state preemption apply to the ESD, DOL, DSHS, but not to community and technical colleges?

Those state agencies who decided to abide by 9.41.290 RCW either did it in error, or because the person who made the decision actually agrees with the fundamental human right of self defense (which is hard to believe.)

Preemption does apply to state agencies, but it's not the RCW kind. It's the Constitutional kind.

EMNofSeattle

Those state agencies who decided to abide by 9.41.290 RCW either did it in error, or because the person who made the decision actually agrees with the fundamental human right of self defense (which is hard to believe.)

Preemption does apply to state agencies, but it's not the RCW kind. It's the Constitutional kind.[/COLOR]

What we need to do is amend the preemption law, and change it to a wording like Oregon's, where it says only the "legislature" has the authority, then all state agencies must fall in line too....

J1MB0B

Preemption does apply to state agencies, but it's not the RCW kind. It's the Constitutional kind.[/COLOR]

I had a long converstion with Mark Knapp on Friday and he disagrees with you, state preemption applies to all agencies within the state. I got some excellent advice on my issue. Thats for the other thread, I dont want to hijack this one any more than I already have.