• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a near riot

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I decided to shoot the Occupy Richmond people trying to invade Monroe Park.
I spent the next 8 hours shooting some of the best demonstration video I've ever gotten.

All afternoon and into the night, there were helicopters and police planes, a massive police buildup, and finally the protesters.

Things were noisy but non violent until the Cops decided to start arresting people for covering their faces (Felony arrests).

The Crowd didn't like that at all and charged the police line. One cop picked up a bike and threw it into the crowd and they dragged a few protesters off in handcuffs and the crowd got rowdier.
The Cops finally closed the street completely because VCU students were pouring out of the dorms and joining the the fun.

I was OCing an old 357 in case I got arrested (They did arrest a photographer the other night) and CCing my Taser in a shoulder holster.

I'm not sure they even noticed my gun but they were real unhappy at being videoed for 8 hours.

It was a massive overreaction on the City's part. Loved it!:lol:

carsontech

Activist Member
Vids or it didn't happen. :D

Glad this wan't you:

[video=youtube;I0pX9LeE-g8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0pX9LeE-g8[/video]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Video's coming. It takes a while to edit 53 gigs of AVCHD.

If that'd been me, you wouldn't be able to play the audio:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't have the bandwidth here to upload HD but here is a short low rez clip:

[video=vimeo;31888377]http://vimeo.com/31888377[/video]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"The whole world is watching!"

More! UPLOAD!

I'm afraid it'll have to wait until next week. I still have to finish the Hanover talk for Philip and a couple other feebies and I'm going hunting in a few minutes.

The interviews were good also even though I had to cut a few heads so they wouldn't be recognized.

They have a medical team, a legal team. One young lady I interviewed is a law student at UR.

They're still a tad short on exactly what they're after but right now they're satisfied with being able to speak freely.

Some of the stories I heard from their eviction the other night were irritating. The Police wouldn't let them take down an American flag. It was bulldozed.

As a side note, they met at Gallery 5 to plan all this. The fellow running it was Tom Robinson who is NO LONGER with the Peninsula Patriots:lol: (Do a search for his P4P rant when he was with that Tea Party group)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
+1. I kind of wish these protestors would go and occupy a J O B.

Funny thing about that Jim. I had some preconceived opinions based on what I'd seen on Mainstream Media and I'm sure there were a fair number of derelicts in the crowd...but I spent the first 3 hours doing sit down interviews with some of the head honchos. They were ALL either working or students...many both.

I did talk to some who were just mooching off of the group and they were the usual bums that stay in and around the park anyway.

The organizers were a little colorful, even by my standards, but not what I expected.
At any rate...I sure love a little old fashioned civil disobedience.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the story on Tom Robinson BTW:

[h=1]Peninsula Patriots tell gun owners to cover up[/h]
Last week I wrote a story about apparently, anti gun actions by the Richmond Tea Party and associated groups. I offered to publish their side unedited. They chose to ignore my offer. As a result, I will not photograph any more of the Tea party events.
Yesterday, the Peninsula Patriots held their soiree. While inviting gun owners and Pro Second groups, they later asked people legally carrying weapons to put them away or cover up. I did not attend because of the reasons stated above.
One eyewitness said “while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we’d been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots “Leadership” were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the “Leadership” didn’t want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were “gun toten’ rednecks”.
Old Virginia is a Rural Affairs Group and while we are solidly behind gunowners and offer any support we can, leave the gun lobby to the experts at VCDL and GOA. As a group, we don’t have a dog in this fight.
As an individual, I Do! The following response by Tom Robinson is well written, well reasoned and with one glaring exception about classifying people who carry a gun….reasonable. It also smacks of deal making and political wrangling. Because of that I will still refuse to photograph any more rallies and I expect others will follow suit. You can’t pick and choose which parts of the Constitution a PRO CONSTITUTION group will support. It’s a package deal.
Tom Robinson’s response:
Good Morning Don,
I will be happy to answer your question. As an organizer for the Peninsula Patriots, I have been to many meetings, rallies, Tea Parties, Etc, both listening to, and presenting, 2nd Amendment speeches to those attending the events. In virtually EVERY case, a member of the media is present, with photographers, to “catch”
those choosing to openly carry at the events. The story is then changed to make the story about the “GUN” and not our RIGHT to carry one. I carry a gun every day, and have had occasions to use it to protect myself, and others, from certain death. Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so.

The Peninsula Patriots is a young, and still fragile, conservative movement.. We have already lost a few members who are afraid that we are becoming too vocal about the need to be prepared to use firearms, if necessary, to protect our freedoms. An open display of “gun totin’ Patriots, not Rednecks”, is very unsettling to many Americans, and we can’t afford to alienate current, and potential, members at this crucial time in our movement.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions…
1. Knowing that you have the right to own and carry a weapon virtually anywhere throughout Virginia, WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment? Were you concerned that you were going to be attacked by some unknown alien forces while attending a Patriotic rally?
2. Several of those attending were actually making comical statements about one of your members who felt the need to not only openly carry a fully-loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a conservative rally, but also felt it necessary to carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack. Do you not realize that the legal, but inappropriate, “in your face” display of weaponry probably did your, and my, movement more harm than good?
3. To put this in a more logical perspective…Virtually every Virginian, with the exception of felons and nut cases, has the right to openly carry a weapon, so that part is no big deal. It is your license to carry a CONCEALED weapon that sets you apart from those who don’t possess a similar permit. That being said…You may have a fishing license, but do you feel compelled to carry your rod and reel to the movies? You have a license to drive a car, but do you feel it is necessary to park it next to you at church? I could go on and on.
Although I have spent many years in law enforcement internationally, both in counter-terrorism and counter-drug activities, I am also actively involved in marketing and public relations. Knowing the correct time and place to “show your wares”
is a key component in successfully “selling” your products, services and ideas. Presenting your members as “casual commandos”
in yesterday’s friendly, non-threatening setting was clearly “overkill”, and turned many potential members away from your worthy cause.

As a professional in the field of law enforcement I would like to give a little sage advice. Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public. Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly. 1st. Power trip – The need to present the appearance of power to overcome feelings of inadequacy. 2nd. Need for authority - All too often, those individuals openly carrying weapons wanted to be a police officer with the power, but not the responsibility, that goes with the job. They were rejected for various reasons, usually psychological, followed by obesity, at which point many of them applied for positions as deputy sheriffs, then private security officers…anything that would give them a feeling of power over others. Although I am not accusing any members of your group of fitting into that category, it is a profile observed by most agencies and officers.
Don, I am 100% behind you, and I applaud your continuing efforts to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I am just trying to use years’
of experience to assist you in waging a just and Holy war against those who would quickly deprive us of our freedoms if given half a chance. HooRah. Keep up the great work you are doing for ALL Americans.

All the best,
Tom

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Early this morning the OR folks were trying to decide where to squat next. One of the suggestions was to relocate to the War Memorial.:shocker:

I would pay good money to watch that - especially this weekend, seeing as how today (11/10) is the Marine Corps birthday and tomorrow (11/11) is Veterans Day. There will be veterans at the War Memorial all weekend and I do not think they would be happy with the OR crowd squatting and chanting there.

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member

[h=1]Peninsula Patriots tell gun owners to cover up[/h]
Last week I wrote a story about apparently, anti gun actions by the Richmond Tea Party and associated groups. I offered to publish their side unedited. They chose to ignore my offer. As a result, I will not photograph any more of the Tea party events.
Yesterday, the Peninsula Patriots held their soiree. While inviting gun owners and Pro Second groups, they later asked people legally carrying weapons to put them away or cover up. I did not attend because of the reasons stated above.
One eyewitness said “while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we’d been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots “Leadership” were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the “Leadership” didn’t want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were “gun toten’ rednecks”.
Old Virginia is a Rural Affairs Group and while we are solidly behind gunowners and offer any support we can, leave the gun lobby to the experts at VCDL and GOA. As a group, we don’t have a dog in this fight.
As an individual, I Do! The following response by Tom Robinson is well written, well reasoned and with one glaring exception about classifying people who carry a gun….reasonable. It also smacks of deal making and political wrangling. Because of that I will still refuse to photograph any more rallies and I expect others will follow suit. You can’t pick and choose which parts of the Constitution a PRO CONSTITUTION group will support. It’s a package deal.
Tom Robinson’s response:
Good Morning Don,
I will be happy to answer your question. As an organizer for the Peninsula Patriots, I have been to many meetings, rallies, Tea Parties, Etc, both listening to, and presenting, 2nd Amendment speeches to those attending the events. In virtually EVERY case, a member of the media is present, with photographers, to “catch”
those choosing to openly carry at the events. The story is then changed to make the story about the “GUN” and not our RIGHT to carry one. I carry a gun every day, and have had occasions to use it to protect myself, and others, from certain death. Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so.

The Peninsula Patriots is a young, and still fragile, conservative movement.. We have already lost a few members who are afraid that we are becoming too vocal about the need to be prepared to use firearms, if necessary, to protect our freedoms. An open display of “gun totin’ Patriots, not Rednecks”, is very unsettling to many Americans, and we can’t afford to alienate current, and potential, members at this crucial time in our movement.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions…
1. Knowing that you have the right to own and carry a weapon virtually anywhere throughout Virginia, WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment? Were you concerned that you were going to be attacked by some unknown alien forces while attending a Patriotic rally?
2. Several of those attending were actually making comical statements about one of your members who felt the need to not only openly carry a fully-loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a conservative rally, but also felt it necessary to carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack. Do you not realize that the legal, but inappropriate, “in your face” display of weaponry probably did your, and my, movement more harm than good?
3. To put this in a more logical perspective…Virtually every Virginian, with the exception of felons and nut cases, has the right to openly carry a weapon, so that part is no big deal. It is your license to carry a CONCEALED weapon that sets you apart from those who don’t possess a similar permit. That being said…You may have a fishing license, but do you feel compelled to carry your rod and reel to the movies? You have a license to drive a car, but do you feel it is necessary to park it next to you at church? I could go on and on.
Although I have spent many years in law enforcement internationally, both in counter-terrorism and counter-drug activities, I am also actively involved in marketing and public relations. Knowing the correct time and place to “show your wares”
is a key component in successfully “selling” your products, services and ideas. Presenting your members as “casual commandos”
in yesterday’s friendly, non-threatening setting was clearly “overkill”, and turned many potential members away from your worthy cause.

As a professional in the field of law enforcement I would like to give a little sage advice. Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public. Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly. 1st. Power trip – The need to present the appearance of power to overcome feelings of inadequacy. 2nd. Need for authority - All too often, those individuals openly carrying weapons wanted to be a police officer with the power, but not the responsibility, that goes with the job. They were rejected for various reasons, usually psychological, followed by obesity, at which point many of them applied for positions as deputy sheriffs, then private security officers…anything that would give them a feeling of power over others. Although I am not accusing any members of your group of fitting into that category, it is a profile observed by most agencies and officers.
Don, I am 100% behind you, and I applaud your continuing efforts to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I am just trying to use years’
of experience to assist you in waging a just and Holy war against those who would quickly deprive us of our freedoms if given half a chance. HooRah. Keep up the great work you are doing for ALL Americans.

All the best,
Tom

The casual use of the term brandish and the final use of the the 'just and Holy war' kind of kills any credibility this guy has for me.

carsontech

Activist Member
I couldn't even finish Tom's response. I've seen the crap he is spewing so many times I didn't have to finish reading it. This guy is a phony. :banghead

Last edited:

wylde007

+1. I kind of wish these protestors would go and occupy a J O B.
And I am sure that at least some of them would like to.

When you live in a country which finds itself with one in every five people functionally unemployed, where there are literally HUNDREDS of applicants for a single administrative or clerical position... things start getting pretty bleak pretty quick, Jim.

Here in Virginia I think we're doing a little better than that, but I'm still not wearing shades when I look into the future.

And don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the "Occupy"s target nor target audience, I'm just trying to rationalize that maybe, just maybe, some of those people are in that group who have exhausted their benefits and emergency funds and are just plain angry that they are unemployed and unemployable and now they want to gripe at somebody about it.

They'll probably still be there (some of them) on the 16th when we go to Lobby our new GA to return this blessed commonwealth to a more libertarian state.

riverrat10k

I'm glad you went, Peter, you should have called me.

I had a feeling if you went and talked to these people, you would find that they are not as they are being portrayed by the media.
My opinion is that EVERYBODY is getting pissed.

By design in preparation for a martial law type power grab? My tinfoil hat looks to be coming back in style.

eta: looks like that one cop wanted a piece of your azz 'till the other reminded him of the bad publicity about the RVA photog.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Peninsula Patriots tell gun owners to cover up

..........snip.........

Totally inadequate duct tape alert.

Tom destroyed any credibility he may have had with his misapplication of terms. His reply is very self-centered elitism and his conclusions are flawed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Totally inadequate duct tape alert.

Tom destroyed any credibility he may have had with his misapplication of terms. His reply is very self-centered elitism and his conclusions are flawed.

He told me yesterday that he parted company (Read that, got tossed out) because they were all Christians and he didn't think that was right to push Christian values.

I guess it's true that Hell is full of CHiPpers:banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Early this morning the OR folks were trying to decide where to squat next. One of the suggestions was to relocate to the War Memorial.:shocker:

I would pay good money to watch that - especially this weekend, seeing as how today (11/10) is the Marine Corps birthday and tomorrow (11/11) is Veterans Day. There will be veterans at the War Memorial all weekend and I do not think they would be happy with the OR crowd squatting and chanting there.

stay safe.

I had to buy a small Drone for a client that wanted aerial video of his house. If they're still there next week when I come back, I'll test it out there:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.