• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cz-70 newish guy here

S&W BULLRIDER

So I picked up a new CZ-70 today and plan to carry it daily. It is a .32 acp. What are your thoughts on this? Let's not turn this into a which caliber is better I am just curious what you think on carrying the CZ-70 and what do you think about the gun. I have heard a lot on CZ that they are awesome and very reliable because of the fixes barrel. Is this true?

Thanks yall

Aaron

also I have never met anybody on here and wouldnt mind meeting up I have been a forum stalker for awhile now and have been regestered for quite sometime I just have never posted. I am a firm believer in OC and I do so everyday. I have been lucky to never meet a LEO complaining about OC either. I even started my dad on the OC thing. I also dont have a CCP mainly because I cant afford it and CC just isnt my bag of chips lol.

MilProGuy

Welcome to the forum.

I've never owned a CZ, but those I know who do own them speak very highly of them.

It's good to see that you OC everyday. I'm sure you will be an encouragment to those of us who, for one reason or the other, do not yet feel comfortable doing so.

hermannr

I have a CZ52, a CZ82, and a CZ85. Love them all. Very reliable and as accurate as I am, maybe more accurate. I particularly like the CZ82 with it's 9X18mm Makorov. It is not quite as loud as 9X19mm (the CZ85) and definately not as loud as the CZ52.

32 acp is a good caliber if you are a good shot. the smaller the round, and the slower the bullet, the more important shot placement is.

That is, Except for the CZ52, it's 7.62X25mm (.308) but then my defensive rounds are XTPs @ 1700fps too.

SovereignAxe

Welcome. The Cz-70 is an old gun, but it's got style and there hasn't been much in the way of advancements in .32ACP pocket pistols. I don't know much about it except that it's blowback operated and designed in 1970. Everyone will tell you that a CZ is a good gun.

I don't think reliability has much to do with the fixed barrel. Even the short-recoil CZs are known to be reliable, so I would credit the brand, not the action. Although, if the pistol happens to be very accurate, this is something you can credit to the fixed barrel. Poorly made short-recoil pistols can seat their barrels in a microscopically different position after every shot, throwing off consistency and therefore accuracy. Most blowback pistols are known for being pretty accurate for their size because of this.

I hear it's good for canceling czechs.

ZING!

JamesB

I have a CZ52, a CZ82, and a CZ85. Love them all. Very reliable and as accurate as I am, maybe more accurate. I particularly like the CZ82 with it's 9X18mm Makorov. It is not quite as loud as 9X19mm (the CZ85) and definately not as loud as the CZ52.

32 acp is a good caliber if you are a good shot. the smaller the round, and the slower the bullet, the more important shot placement is.

That is, Except for the CZ52, it's 7.62X25mm (.308) but then my defensive rounds are XTPs @ 1700fps too.

Seeing as we're on the subject (almost) I found: http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/11/of-interest-to-crufflers.html

"... tons of CZ-52s were on the market for around $100-125. The price has risen but they are still cool - and very powerful - handguns. They are also somewhat complicated and unusual compared to more modern like the Glock.

The American Gunsmithing Institute has recently released another in their series of technical manuals and armorer's course and it is devoted to the CZ-52."

Contrarian

Cz 70

I had one...sold it. It was the only pistol that I have sold.
I bought a CZ52 to replace it. Like the 7.62x25 more, but the -52 is a bigger package to carry.

All in all the CZ70 was just fine; never hiccoughed on any ammo I had.

CO-Joe

Huh. Kind of looks like it's derived from a Walther PPK. If it is about that size: IMO... It's too small of a gun to be much of a use for open carry, though probably alright for some concealed carry use. Though calling it a pocket gun is a stretch because if it similar in size and heft to a PPK, it's heavy and doesn't ride well in a pocket. Something like a Ruger LCP is a true pocket gun (in my book) and in a slightly more powerful cartridge, too.

I'd be more concerned about its reliability than anything else... CZ makes good stuff, but does yours work without fail?

Nate Wells

Congrats, nice gun. I have the predecessor to the CZ 70, the CZ 50. They are solid, all steel guns. Not a pocket gun, for sure, needs a holster, IMO.

I like the feel of this gun. And it's got such "cool" factor. I call it my little commie cop pistol...ha ha

There are different accounts around the internet on what type of ammo it likes. I think the general consensus is that it doesn't like hollow points. HP would jam on the feed ramp on mine. I worked it and polished it up, and now it eats all the ammo I feed it.

Take off the slide. Load a magazine, and put it in the gun. Try to use your thumb to push a round from the magazine into the breech. When I did that, FMJ ammo would load "ok", hollow points would just hit the face of the feed ramp and stop. I mean, really, dead stop.

I don't know what the technical name is for them, I call them feed rails. They are on the underside of the slide, and push against the rim of the cartridge on the front stroke to load it. Make sure they aren't beat up. You don't want them sliding over the top of the cartridge.

They don't like to be limp wristed. Be careful of the decocker. Get on the range, put a round in the chamber, pull the hammer back manually. With the gun pointed in safe direction, decock it.

Don't use A-Zoom snap caps unless you prep them first. They will jam up your gun.

Make sure the magazine is clean. Wolff has replacement springs for the magazine. There are also after market firing pins and springs.

Good luck with it!