• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intruder killed by homeowner in Central Virginia

scouser

RICE, VA (WWBT) – Virginia State Police are investigating an overnight home invasion that resulted in the intruder being shot and killed by the homeowner....

Off-duty sheriff’s deputy shoots, kills intruder

Hopefully this will turn out well for the homeowner.

The report mentions that Va State Police wouldn't confirm if it was the deputy's service weapon that was used. Forgive my ignorance, is there some regulation that states he may only use his service weapon when on duty? If there isn't, then of what relevence is it which weapon killed the intruder, unless it was the intruder's own weapon.

Well done to the homeowner for removing one scumbag from the realm of the living.

MilProGuy

"Your first interest is your family and your children, you want to protect them, so I salute him, I salute him, to his family, for everybody staying together and for the neighborhood who love him and gather around him," said neighbor, Kae Van Landingham.

I salute him, as well.

Dreamer

I'll bet the responding officers treated this Central VA homeowner (who is ALSO a cop, and I'm sure made it well-known when he made his 911 call) a LOT better than the Phoenix NV PD treated Tony Arambula...

[video=youtube_share;l4ioL3B7qnU]http://youtu.be/l4ioL3B7qnU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;X_4owtZ8YYE]http://youtu.be/X_4owtZ8YYE[/video]

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'll bet the responding officers treated this Central VA homeowner (who is ALSO a cop, and I'm sure made it well-known when he made his 911 call) a LOT better than the Phoenix NV PD treated Tony Arambula...

[video=youtube_share;l4ioL3B7qnU]http://youtu.be/l4ioL3B7qnU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;X_4owtZ8YYE]http://youtu.be/X_4owtZ8YYE[/video]

Wow. Do you the final outcome of his lawsuit? I couldn't find anything on google.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Getting back to the question of why the mention of using his "duty weapon" -

I can think of two possibilities:

1) that's the only weapon he owns. Possibly a stretch for the locale, but it could be.

2) It is a PC thing - use of the "duty weapon" means it was not some sooper-ultra-mankiller round fired through some ginourmous hand cannon that could have gone through walls and through the school a mile down the road - like some of the guns those gun nuts use. It was a "police gun" used by a police person. There's no need for the sheep to get upset about what might have happened.

Could you just imagine if the news reported instead that the intruder "was killed by a bullet fired from a 9mm handgun - a round so wimpy that it's not even allowed for use in deer hunting because it will not ensure a humane kill"?

stay safe.

Dreamer

Wow. Do you the final outcome of his lawsuit? I couldn't find anything on google.

The cop who shot him six times in the back was found by the Review Board to be not guilty of any wrongdoing.

The lawsuit against the LEA and the City are still pending, and there are a mountain of civil suits waiting in the wings.

This one is going to be a tough one to beat--considering that the 911 call being made by the victim was recorded and is all over YouTube and the media--and it clearly shows that the police colluded to cover up their mistake--in their own voices and words. A clearer case for criminal conspiracy rarely presents itself...

Even if somehow the Courts rule that the LEO's are not criminally liable, the civil suits should cost the PD and City seven or eight figures EASILY...

However, the fact that the cop who shot him was such a lousy shot that even after pumping six rounds into the victim at nearly point-blank range, while the victim had his back turned to the cop and didn't even know he was there (thereby posing NO threat) and the victim STILL survived, may actually play AGAINST the victim when it comes to a damages settlement. The cops defense will say that the cop was not shooting to kill--the FACT is he WAS, but was such a piss-poor shot and reacting in such panicked, knee-jerk reactionary mode that he couldn't even score a terminal hit on a non-threatening stationary target at point-blank range. If ANYTHING, this cop should be denied the use of a duty weapon for the rest of his employment, because he has OBVIOUSLY proved himself a danger and threat to the community with his lack of firearms proficiency and utter disregard for proper protocol...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

The sad thing is the taxpayers are going to be hit with the tab on this, as in most all cases of civil suits against governmental personnel, when it should be the individuals responsible who should pay dearly with their money, property, and time in prison or the death chamber.